“Dilly dilly” needs to die

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Bud Light didn't just set out to make a cool ad and then everyone parroted its catchphrase coincidentally. As an ad writer, I can see the brief and the thinking that went into it. In some brainstorm, one bro suggested "What if we create a new version of 'cheers' but ownable to us alone?" They wanted something silly and repeatable so it would catch on, and forever be associated with Bud Light. And they very wisely made the purveyors of said catchphrase royalty, party for funny contrast and to capitalize on GoT popularity, but more importantly so YOU, an average dolt, would feel high class saying it. The idea falls apart if it's a bunch of real life bros saying "dilly dilly" at a tailgate. Then you couldn't pretend you're cooler than you really are for saying it.

That's why the phrase annoys me. It's the hivemind thinking they took ownership of something random they deemed cool, when in reality it was manufactured in a lab for the very purpose of being repeated to death on social media and internet forums. Now you're doing a company's advertising for them, for free, and not because you're a devoted super fan of their cheap rice beer.

That being said, I like the ad. Been awhile since they had a good one.

Reactions: EarthIsMan

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
You mean like Sweet Caroline?
It's a good thing they started playing won't back down instead. (I hope that wasn't a one game thing)

Sweet Caroline is trash and I took a kneel every time it comes on.

1) it sucks

2) you never prematurely celebrate

3) I'm a Yankees fan and Red sox fan love the song.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I hate the fact that Anheuser-Busch-Inbev makes commercials mocking craft breweries and homebrewers. And in the meantime, Anheuser-Busch-Inbev buys up craft brewery after craft brewery and recently bought one of the larger home brew supply shops.

/rant

I think I take my beer too seriously.
vauEUgn.gif

Taking beer too seriously is not possible.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Bud Light didn't just set out to make a cool ad and then everyone parroted its catchphrase coincidentally. As an ad writer, I can see the brief and the thinking that went into it. In some brainstorm, one bro suggested "What if we create a new version of 'cheers' but ownable to us alone?" They wanted something silly and repeatable so it would catch on, and forever be associated with Bud Light. And they very wisely made the purveyors of said catchphrase royalty, party for funny contrast and to capitalize on GoT popularity, but more importantly so YOU, an average dolt, would feel high class saying it. The idea falls apart if it's a bunch of real life bros saying "dilly dilly" at a tailgate. Then you couldn't pretend you're cooler than you really are for saying it.

That's why the phrase annoys me. It's the hivemind thinking they took ownership of something random they deemed cool, when in reality it was manufactured in a lab for the very purpose of being repeated to death on social media and internet forums. Now you're doing a company's advertising for them, for free, and not because you're a devoted super fan of their cheap rice beer.

Bud..........Weis.............er

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Even if it's silly silly, and a little bit willy nilly, we are over the hilly hilly in how it's brought cyclone fans together to celebrate a little new found success. So don't be an uncivilly hillbilly, cheer it on with all of us.

DILLY DILLY!

P.S. - bundle up when going to the game; might be a little chilly chilly.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do-be-do-be-do was one of my favorite ads ever during the glory years of the Ava-Wings rivalry and when the NHL playoffs were absolutely can’t miss. I still like the NHL but it’s gotten a lot softer since those days.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014

Maybe I am way out of touch, but I think most of us realize we are being neither cool nor original in saying "dilly dilly". It is essentially a meme.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
I love Dilly Dilly. It has almost become the rallying cry of Cyclone athletics.
Don't you think that is the issue? How many other teams fans are using this same thing and thinking it is original for that fan base? This in no way is an ISU thing. I would rather folks find something that isn't a bud light commercial to latch on to as, "our rallying cry."

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron