***2024 NCAA Wrestling - Session 5 (Sat., 10:00)***

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Obviously there’s multiple variables but what’s the estimated start time of David’s match tonight you guys think?

Reactions: Lafester

MattforState

Aug 17, 2010
Des Moines, IA
Anybody have any problems with the Varsity app? Wasn't able to watch yesterday because of work and same today unfortunately. Only got a couple minutes at best yesterday before the audio stopped altogether. I'd restart the app but same thing happened again and again. Tried reinstalling the app and restarting my phone but no go. Needless to say I was very annoyed. Fingers crossed it just works for me today but if anybody has any potential solutions, please send them my way!
If I touch my phone screen every minute or 2, it would keep working, but as soon as I forgot, it would stop working. I normally only have to go back one step to picking the isu feed again. I was real annoyed too.

Reactions: HitItHard58

Eagle78

Nov 25, 2022
Anybody have any problems with the Varsity app? Wasn't able to watch yesterday because of work and same today unfortunately. Only got a couple minutes at best yesterday before the audio stopped altogether. I'd restart the app but same thing happened again and again. Tried reinstalling the app and restarting my phone but no go. Needless to say I was very annoyed. Fingers crossed it just works for me today but if anybody has any potential solutions, please send them my way!
This seems to have fixed the problem for me after changing the settings and restarting my phone:

Reactions: HitItHard58

Lafester

Nov 1, 2021
  • Informative
Reactions: cyputz and jkbuff98

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
I've been watching the tourney on ESPN and ESPN+. I think ISU has represented the Big 12 quite well. Things could've gone better, but Carr may win it all and ISU hopefully will get a top 5 finish.

Big question. Does NIL help schools like ISU, OSU, and WVU close the gap on the BIG giants? I dont think WVU lands Ty Watters without NIL.

Flynn, WVU's coach, has said the NIL situation at WVU will give him a chance to get WVU to the next level--which is good for the big 12. WVU wrestling was a joke for a long time. Still has a long way to go, but two AA this tourney has only happened once before in WVU history.

ISU also is ascending, although ISU, unlike WVU, has always had a strong history in wrestling.

Will NIL help OSU, WVU, and ISU or hurt them? Although the BIG schools get more TV revenue, that means nada in NIL.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've been watching the tourney on ESPN and ESPN+. I think ISU has represented the Big 12 quite well. Things could've gone better, but Carr may win it all and ISU hopefully will get a top 5 finish.

Big question. Does NIL help schools like ISU, OSU, and WVU close the gap on the BIG giants? I dont think WVU lands Ty Watters without NIL.

Flynn, WVU's coach, has said the NIL situation at WVU will give him a chance to get WVU to the next level--which is good for the big 12. WVU wrestling was a joke for a long time. Still has a long way to go, but two AA this tourney has only happened once before in WVU history.

ISU also is ascending, although ISU, unlike WVU, has always had a strong history in wrestling.

Will NIL help OSU, WVU, and ISU or hurt them? Although the BIG schools get more TV revenue, that means nada in NIL.

Car WILL win it all. ;)

NIL will continue to help us compete for second. No one is touching Penn St for the foreseeable future.

NIL absolutely helped ISU build and keep its current roster together but finding the right guys for your coaching staff is still key (ex. Our Cubans).

Cyguy1994

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2021
If I touch my phone screen every minute or 2, it would keep working, but as soon as I forgot, it would stop working. I normally only have to go back one step to picking the isu feed again. I was real annoyed too.
I've had that problem too, until I streamed from the browser that helped

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Just got done rewatching Davids match. Both guys had complete opposite plans from the big12's. KOT came out on fire. David came out looking at wanting to keep it to the end.

KOT his first shot attempt where he got to davids legs david did a great job once he knew he couldn't break KOT grip of going up tsqueezing his legs on KOT head and once the scramble started davids grip strength was unreal.

KOT continued to basically sprint the entire 1st period and you see david not wasting energy hand fighting.

KOT watch at the 16 second mark at the end of 2 when david kicked out you can almost see the wind getting taken out of his sails.

Start of the 3rd KOT is breathing hard. KOT gets that shot in the 3rd and wastes so much energy on david while daivd was brilliant in jumping up and pulling down on the back of his head. David gives up the TD but you see it KOT didn't have the juice to put on a finishing ride.

As soon as david got that escape and almost got to KOT ankle KOT never got up off his knee and david gets his shot which ended up with nothing but KOT is lying there just wanting it to be over. Takes forever to get back to center.

From 26 seconds on: David single shot attempt, david double shot attempt, single shot that immediately causes KOT to drop to one knee where david goes right back into an inside single
that he's up alread on the hip of KOT left foot step over and just drives forward.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just got done rewatching Davids match. Both guys had complete opposite plans from the big12's. KOT came out on fire. David came out looking at wanting to keep it to the end.

KOT his first shot attempt where he got to davids legs david did a great job once he knew he couldn't break KOT grip of going up tsqueezing his legs on KOT head and once the scramble started davids grip strength was unreal.

KOT continued to basically sprint the entire 1st period and you see david not wasting energy hand fighting.

KOT watch at the 16 second mark at the end of 2 when david kicked out you can almost see the wind getting taken out of his sails.

Start of the 3rd KOT is breathing hard. KOT gets that shot in the 3rd and wastes so much energy on david while daivd was brilliant in jumping up and pulling down on the back of his head. David gives up the TD but you see it KOT didn't have the juice to put on a finishing ride.

As soon as david got that escape and almost got to KOT ankle KOT never got up off his knee and david gets his shot which ended up with nothing but KOT is lying there just wanting it to be over. Takes forever to get back to center.

From 26 seconds on: David single shot attempt, david double shot attempt, single shot that immediately causes KOT to drop to one knee where david goes right back into an inside single
that he's up alread on the hip of KOT left foot step over and just drives forward.
As the infamous Hanson Brothers said in Slapshot he was killing him with his mind!

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013

As iowa state fans and watching David for four years, and the strategy was discussed on here, but you could tell in the first minute that he wanted KO to initiate the shots. In the two matches he lost, DC forced the action. Great adjustments from the champ!

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It’s been doing this for me for about a week now. Totally worthless.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

This is a rivalry that will go down on the level of drake and Taylor. They have so much respect for each other.

Watch the end of the clip…Nate Carr and KOT hug it out this goes way deeper then just two guys on the mat

The wrestling media has been asleep at the wheel this past week because of Messenbrink from Penn State. PSU sucks all the oxygen out of the room, and there was minimal discussion of this semifinal. It’s crazy how fast they can go from biggest match ever (last year) to just another match (this year).

Hope Carr treat’s Messenbrink like PSU’s last undefeated Wonder Boy was treated in the NCAA finals.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Another thing I was thinking about with Yonger is I bet the first day, the pain tolerance was pretty easy. However after a full day of guys handfighting and yanking on the hands, it’s going to get worse and worse. You could also tell he didn’t want to fire off shots he normally does as that requires grip strength around the leg or ankle. He pretty much tried to keep it all upper body. Sucks, but he’s going to be a man on a mission next year and I would not want to wrestle him

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
The wrestling media has been asleep at the wheel this past week because of Messenbrink from Penn State. PSU sucks all the oxygen out of the room, and there was minimal discussion of this semifinal. It’s crazy how fast they can go from biggest match ever (last year) to just another match (this year).

Hope Carr treat’s Messenbrink like PSU’s last undefeated Wonder Boy was treated in the NCAA finals.
It's a tough tournament and mess is tough, but david won't gas as bad as hamiti did and mess has never felt david before. Also wouldnt be shocked if david rides mess for a period.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It's a tough tournament and mess is tough, but david won't gas as bad as hamiti did and mess has never felt david before. Also wouldnt be shocked if david rides mess for a period.
I agree. I think David will be able to get 1 or 2 early takedowns. Ideally that first period is like 6-1 David with decent riding time.

If it is a 4 minute match everyone on the planet is picking Carr. Messenbrink’s pace for 7 minutes is a real thing though. I think Carr will be as ready to handle that as anyone in the country, but I honestly have no idea how that 3rd period is going to play out.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
David has to score twice early and put on a ride. Mess can go the full time with his tank he won’t gas out.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I agree. I think David will be able to get 1 or 2 early takedowns. Ideally that first period is like 6-1 David with decent riding time.

If it is a 4 minute match everyone on the planet is picking Carr. Messenbrink’s pace for 7 minutes is a real thing though. I think Carr will be as ready to handle that as anyone in the country, but I honestly have no idea how that 3rd period is going to play out.
It’s not like David doesn’t have a tank of his own though. He’ll be fine.