Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I remember talk early in the Big 12 history was a block of 4 Texas schools could either block or force through anything the Texas legislature wanted. Then after A&M left, the whorns could pressure the legislature to force the other 3 schools to vote with Texas. I don't remember anything specifically, just that there was talk about this being a huge concern. With the whorns out of the picture, I'm sure it's less of a problem, but not completely gone.

I'm not sure the Big 12 wants 4 Texas schools again.

I SURE DO NOT WANT ANYMORE TEXAS SCHOOLS......TIME TO ADD SCHOOLS WHO WILL HELP ADD FANS AND MORE EYEBALLS ON TELEVISION SCREENS IMHO.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Is that were UCF plays? Didn’t look like a wonderful stadium on tv last night.

No they have an on-campus stadium they call the Bounce House; Camping World Stadium is where we played Notre Dame in the bowl a couple years ago.

I don't think it is really a viable option either; I would prefer just leaving it at Jerryworld in perpetuity. It's really easy for every fan base to fly to DFW or DAL.

And I hope we can create a nice eight-school voting block (7 of the current members plus Houston) to keep the football CCG in Texas and the basketball tourney in Kansas City. (and the baseball tournament in OKC). Idk if Cincy and WVU might try to grab the hoops tournament for a year or two at some point - we should all stick together to vote it down.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I like CSU over UCF for many, many reasons. This is one I hadn’t really thought of as far as timing.
Same here. BYU is a good pick. Cincinnati makes sense pairing with WVU. Would much rather go CSU and Air Force than Houston and UCF. UCF makes no sense geographically. Need to rebuild the conference with some common identity and purpose.

Reactions: NWICY and Nococy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Same here. BYU is a good pick. Cincinnati makes sense pairing with WVU. Would much rather go CSU and Air Force than Houston and UCF. UCF makes no sense geographically. Need to rebuild the conference with some common identity and purpose.

Being in the same lifeboat hopefully builds a common identity.....

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
There’s something I don’t trust about UCF. I Think they could possibly jump to another conference likeOuT if given the chance.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If we play as a 9 team league next year with BYU after OU and UT leave, as we wait for the American schools to serve an exit period, then we each would pick up one more non-con game on short notice. I'm guessing we would look first to the teams that BYU would need to drop from its schedule to play us. Here are BYU's games in 2022:

@ USF, Baylor, @ Oregon, Wyoming, Utah State, Arkansas, @ Liberty, @ Boise State, Dixie State, @ Stanford, East Carolina

Baylor is an easy drop. Guessing Arkansas would be an easy one to cancel as well if the SEC went from 8 to 9 conference games.

BYU would need to keep 4 of the other 9 games. The 8 schools in the league could take the other 5, leaving 3 schools in the Big 12 to fend for ourselves for an additional non-con game.

We would need to replace a home game because 2022 was supposed to be a 5-home-conference-game year. Options include:

Wyoming
Utah State
East Carolina

BYU would probably keep the USU game. So maybe we could slot in a home game against either Wyoming or ECU, along with @ Iowa, vs. Ohio, and vs. SEMO (FCS), for 4 non-con games and then an 8-game conference schedule with BYU and without OU or UT.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
selfishly I would love to see Colorado State added so I could watch the Cyclones in person when they come to Fort Collins
If financial survival and access to a playoff were not at stake I'd like CSU as well. But since those things are on the line and are dependent on not only on-field success in football, but also media interest, I do not want CSU or AFA at all. I have been at games at AFA and CSU in the end of the DeBerry and Lubick eras. There is zero interest locally (and clearly nationally) in those teams. As I shared before when I went to a CSU game they were #16 in the country, and they had an announced crowd of 28k, and it wasn't that. It was the worst CFB atmosphere I've been at, and I attended ISU in the early McCarney days before they were competitive. While I loved going to a game at AFA, and it was very cool to me, it was absolutely not a big time atmosphere at all. Attendance probably in the low 20s

While I like the idea that a CSU in the Big 12 could really boost the interest, I just don't think it would ever materialize. They had nationally ranked and relevant teams in the early 2000s, had a big, growing population in the area, and it was such a non-factor it is very hard to describe to people that live in a state like Iowa that has no pro sports. Not to mention their last game of 2019 vs. ranked Boise State had an attendance of 12k!

In my opinion BYU and Cincy are clearly at the top, UCF is a pretty clear third, then after that I really don't like anyone. I don't like Houston. I think at best it's a TCU type situation where getting in the conference boosts their program on the field, but them being good doesn't generate much interest or legitimacy in the conference as a whole.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
UCF is in the #2 fastest growing major metro in the US (Austin #1). It's Disney's backyard, cheap to fly to and has AMAZING weather from late September to early December. They are a "brand" from the 2017 claimed national title and are committed to football. They are also located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. If only USF was relevant in football and men's basketball as I'd loved to lockdown the Orlando to Tampa corridor

Reactions: WhoISthis

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Jerryworld, the Texans' stadium in Houston, and maybe Camping World Stadium in Orlando seem like the best options to me. Maybe add the Alamodome to that rotation. Although the other power leagues aren't really rotating - they're locked in to Atlanta, Charlotte, Indianapolis, and now Vegas. Why not just stay in Dallas?

There aren't really any good options in other states in the Big 12 footprint - it's not like we are going to play an outdoor CCG at the Bengals stadium in December now that we are adding Cincinnati.

ARROWHEAD

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Nothing has changed...not an iota. Nothing with B1G/PAC or other P4 expansion can happen until after OUT settles. That's as it has been, as it is, and is it will continue to be. As someone said above, if you see ISU sign a GOR then you can worry...I expect that won't happen and if it did happen that would mean something drastic DID change. Not gonna happen.

Read the Big 12 AD's statement again...and Pollard's statement as well. Everything you need to know is there.

I still think this is the situation. I just started thinking about the "what if they aren't just posturing?"

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Adding BYU to the 2022 schedule while losing UT and OU would free up a nice slot for us to go out and schedule another home game against a cupcake.

That sounds REALLY NICE when you think about losing Foster, Newell, Schweiger (maybe), Purdy, Breece, Hutch, Milton (maybe), McDonald, Eni, Rose, Vance (maybe), Hummel, Johnson Jr and Eisworth

Starting the year with SE Missouri, Iowa, Ohio and Ball State sounds fun and a good way to break in a "new look" Iowa State

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Am I the only one who sees the antiquity of the GOR with the reconstituted B12? Paradoxically, I see the media giants seeking the longer GOR while the leagues want to be more mobile during this 'media' transition. So much is going to happen there, it's hard to predict. As such, the conferences should keep their options as mobile and 'marketable' as can be.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
UCF is in the #2 fastest growing major metro in the US (Austin #1). It's Disney's backyard, cheap to fly to and has AMAZING weather from late September to early December. They are a "brand" from the 2017 claimed national title and are committed to football. They are also located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. If only USF was relevant in football and men's basketball as I'd loved to lockdown the Orlando to Tampa corridor
Not amazing weather in late September but that’s my only disagreement

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Fresh orange juice
I’ll pass.

manginoorange2_thumb_450x298.png