Big East writer refutes ISU rumor

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Just one SMALL part of the interview. We talked for almost a half hour.

CW: The Big East writer I talked to told me that he felt if the four Big 12 schools entered the conference, ultimately the Georgetown’s, Villanova’s and Providence’s of the world wouldn’t want to be in that league with 20 teams. Have you heard anything like this?

JW:
No. I talked to Georgetown for God’s sake. Remember this. This is what drives me nuts about people who do this crap. Paul Tagliabue graduated from Georgetown. Do you honestly think that a Georgetown alum who still goes to their basketball games, is going to work for the Big East just to develop a 12-team conference that would knock out basketball? That makes no sense. What your getting is blowback from some of the schools who don’t like the idea of not getting home and home circumstances. It is a brand new world. Whether people want to understand this or not, there are going to be compromises that are going to have to be made.

Well, this shoots my theory all to hell. That's why CW gets the big bucks.

Louisville21

Jun 11, 2010
Like many have said on here, he sounds like a ****** off Providence writer who is getting his panties in a wad because we want to improve the football conference and split. The "Catholic School League" wouldn't be as good since they would be losing name teams like Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Pitt, and West Virginia. I still think these rumors have truth to them.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just spoke with Jim Williams. Full story coming to the front page soon. He has "five sources high up in athletic departments" of different Big East schools, one of them being Georgetown.
Chris, I know you probably get this a lot but, where can I find a wallstar of you? You are my hero!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Just one SMALL part of the interview. We talked for almost a half hour.

CW: The Big East writer I talked to told me that he felt if the four Big 12 schools entered the conference, ultimately the Georgetown’s, Villanova’s and Providence’s of the world wouldn’t want to be in that league with 20 teams. Have you heard anything like this?

JW:
No. I talked to Georgetown for God’s sake. Remember this. This is what drives me nuts about people who do this crap. Paul Tagliabue graduated from Georgetown. Do you honestly think that a Georgetown alum who still goes to their basketball games, is going to work for the Big East just to develop a 12-team conference that would knock out basketball? That makes no sense. What your getting is blowback from some of the schools who don’t like the idea of not getting home and home circumstances. It is a brand new world. Whether people want to understand this or not, there are going to be compromises that are going to have to be made.

Heck, the upgrade in the talent of the media makes it worth it (CW aside of course).

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Like many have said on here, he sounds like a ****** off Providence writer who is getting his panties in a wad because we want to improve the football conference and split. The "Catholic School League" wouldn't be as good since they would be losing name teams like Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Pitt, and West Virginia. I still think these rumors have truth to them.

Having Big East fans like you that have heard things is even more encouraging

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think this guy is still in the denial stage of grief. He'll find that life will be better once he moves on that his conference will be changing or it will be consumed.

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
Wasn't the Big East bball tournament a clusterblank this year? If the Big 4 joined the Big East, there is no need to determine a champion in basketball. Have separate tournaments for each division of ten. Crown two champs. In football, they could have a championship between the divisions if they wanted to.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
“They aren’t going to have a 20 team basketball league,” McNamara said. “What kind of a conference tournament do you have with 20 teams? It is impossible. Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and St. Johns don’t want to be in the same league as Iowa State and Kansas State. I can guarantee you that. It is a football decision.”

st john's and their elite haven't-been-dancing-in-nearly-a-decade program; i can see why they wouldn't want to play with isu/ksu

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Wasn't the Big East bball tournament a clusterblank this year? If the Big 4 joined the Big East, there is no need to determine a champion in basketball. Have separate tournaments for each division of ten. Crown two champs. In football, they could have a championship between the divisions if they wanted to.

Rumor has it, with the addition of KU, KSU, MU, and ISU to the Big East, the conference tournament becomes the Eastern Region of the NCAA.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I know 20 Olympic sports teams seems ungodly huge, but it will be a huge boon when it comes time to start a network. Networks like live products to show. It's the same reason that the Big 10 wants to expand. They want more inventory because they get more money from live broadcasts. Replaying games from 1985 over and over doesn't generate the same ad revenue as a live game.

Having 12 football teams and 20 Olympic sports teams will allow us to showcase games all throughout the year from football to track to softball to freaking rowing.

If you guys don't join our conference tomorrow I'm going to hang myself with the elastic band in my underwear.

Please don't hang yourself. You seem like a pretty good guy.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I think that would be pretty cool for the conference tourney 5 rounds, two locations West teams in KC and East teams in NYC first 3 rounds in those locations then rounds 4 and 5 in the location of the highest seeded team from the regular season (ex Kansas wins regular season rounds 4 & 5 in KC, Cuse wins regular season rounds 4 & 5 in NYC) The 7-10 seeds in each divison pay in round one.

Last edited:

ksusf

Jun 11, 2010
Please don't hang yourself. You seem like a pretty good guy.

Sorry, I deleted the post after I realized Chris made a new thread and threw my post into the big ISU to the Big East thread so it can hit 1000.

But I will do it if you don't join. Book it.

Last edited:

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
I just listened to Matt's interview with this guy, and I disagree with Matt that he blows up the Big 12 + BE theory. He definitely gives some valid points why it may not happen. But he also stated that it makes 100% sense for football. In another answer he stated that football drives the bus. Put those 2 statements together, what do you get?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I just listened to Matt's interview with this guy, and I disagree with Matt that he blows up the Big 12 + BE theory. He definitely gives some valid points why it may not happen. But he also stated that it makes 100% sense for football. In a another answer he stated that football drives the bus. Put those 2 statements together, what do you get?

This is exactly what I thought. He mentioned for the last 15 years football was in the drivers seat, and prior to that is was basketball. Football is where the money is at, hence the hiring of Paul Tagliabue.

I was reading the comments at the Washington Examiner website - amazing support for this whole idea. Several Big East fans who are all for it, and like the idea. A Mizzou fan was positive about it, as was a Kansas fan who thought it would be great for them, and the ISU fans. This is being well-received by the Big East football schools - who according to Kevin McNamara have all the power.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron