Cyclones in the XFL

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There’s no doubt he has talent … So is it an attitude problem that NFL teams don’t want to deal with him? Or is it just a lack of practice effort and consistency…?

Hands…. drops. I think that’s the only thing holding him back, but that’s pretty important for a WR.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Hakeem Butler has moved not only from XFL reserve player, to McCarron's #1 option in two weeks. I still don't understand how pro football got so down on him so fast. He's got game.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Bruce Gradkowski that's a name I haven't heard in a while.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Hakeem Butler has moved not only from XFL reserve player, to McCarron's #1 option in two weeks. I still don't understand how pro football got so down on him so fast. He's got game.

Because he has a history of dropping too many routine passes. It's not a matter of work ethic or attitude; he tends to be loved where he goes. But if you can't make the "every down" plays on a regular basis, then you're taking up a roster spot, no matter how many insane plays you're capable of making.

It was the same problem he had here at Iowa State - he dropped a lot of the easy catches here. We just forgave a lot of it because of the big plays he was responsible for, and then many forgot about those drops over time.

If he ever gets consistent on the routine plays, he'll be back in the NFL. He'd be a Pro Bowl-caliber receiver already if he were.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I had the XFL game last night on while I did things around the house. This game is much, much, better. MLS stadium is a perfect venue for these games. Vegas has a Mickey Mouse setup in a defunct minor league baseball field and it effects their play.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I had the XFL game last night on while I did things around the house. This game is much, much, better. MLS stadium is a perfect venue for these games. Vegas has a Mickey Mouse setup in a defunct minor league baseball field and it effects their play.

Vegas easily has the worst stadium in the league - a former minor league stadium that was converted into a soccer stadium... but even 6 years later the grounds still look like they were playing baseball on it a few months ago. Honestly wondering why they couldn't get back into Sam Boyd Stadium like the original Las Vegas Outlaws once played in.

Arlington is also playing in a former baseball stadium, but it was formerly the home to the Rangers so has much more in the way of amenities, and they seemed to take much greater care in converting it.

Besides DC, who plays in an MLS stadium that also works well for football, everyone else plays in stadiums built to play football... including some current and former NFL stadiums.

• Informative
Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
XFL ratings have slid the last two weeks. League moving games off of FX and onto ESPN.

ESPN adjusts XFL tV schedule

Part of the problem with the analysis in that article is that while ratings are lower than the XFL season cut short by the pandemic in 2020, the league has streaming partners for all games so a significant viewership cannot be measured if they are watching on ESPN+ or Hulu.

I've seen most of the games and it is a mixed product. But a handful of teams are doing pretty well, and live game attendance is increasing across the league.

XFL ratings and attendance

The USFL is kicking off its season in a couple weeks, and right around the start of MLB all three will be in overlap. This will be a good stress test for the viability of both leagues.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron