Elijah Long Transferring from Mt. Saint Marys

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don't have a problem with Iowa state not wanting him. Or him not wanting to play here.

But it seems like a bit of a **** move for them to block every team they've played for 2 years.

Given his reason for transferring was that he wanted to play at a higher level, I don't think that's an unreasonable restriction. He will still have tons of options.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
He's at a low major now. A very low major. Their conference is ranked 30th out of 32 on Kenpom.

Some term all non high major schools as "mid majors," but that's certainly fair to put the NEC at the low end of that spectrum as KenPom shows. I was just going off the original poster's implication that Eli was currently playing at a mid major.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Some term all non high major schools as "mid majors," but that's certainly fair to put the NEC at the low end of that spectrum as KenPom shows. I was just going off the original poster's implication that Eli was currently playing at a mid major.

Yeah, I understand. I'm trying to fight against the idea that anything that isn't a high major is a mid major. ;)

Reactions: MartinCy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This isn't happening.

Not sure if it is what Iowa State is looking for or not, but I have also heard that MSM has ISU and every school that they've played the last 2 years blocked limiting where he can transfer to.

I see. However, is there even the smallest chance he could choose to be a walk-on here, which would nullify whatever limitations his former team put on him? We saw it happen with Jared Uthoff, so we know it isn't impossible to see happen. If Elijah did happen to want this, where do we sign up? That would be a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Keep in mind that he showed off his skills against good competition too. Moves like this...and while he wasn't efficient, he probably would be with high major teammates.

Yeah, I don't mean to act like he's not a high major talent. I would love to see him get a chance. A lot of times if these guys TOs go down once they have a few other good players to take the load off.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Yeah, I don't mean to act like he's not a high major talent. I would love to see him get a chance. A lot of times if these guys TOs go down once they have a few other good players to take the load off.
I just wish they didn't remove ISU and/or it would have worked out that his position was a position of need.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This isn't happening.

Not sure if it is what Iowa State is looking for or not, but I have also heard that MSM has ISU and every school that they've played the last 2 years blocked limiting where he can transfer to.

That seems harsh... I have seen where coach's block upcoming opponents and though I don't think that is totally fair I can understand especially in conference.
All opponents in the PAST two seem vindictive. Apparently the Coach/AD were not pleased with Elijah leaving.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That seems harsh... I have seen where coach's block upcoming opponents and though I don't think that is totally fair I can understand especially in conference.
All opponents in the PAST two seem vindictive. Apparently the Coach/AD were not pleased with Elijah leaving.
Or knew that he would

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This isn't happening.

Jealous coach is jealous. What's this dude's email? I must berate him.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Jealous coach is jealous. What's this dude's email? I must berate him.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a low-major coach first. These aren't guys leaving their players for $5 million, they're fighting for their futures, and they can't be seen as the minor leagues for mid majors and ****** high major teams. He's only restricting Elijah from 13 teams that are Top 150 teams. That's not much at all.

Also, don't pick many upsets in your brackets next year since transfers are killing the fun that used to be the first round.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Try to put yourself in the shoes of a low-major coach first. These aren't guys leaving their players for $5 million, they're fighting for their futures, and they can't be seen as the minor leagues for mid majors and ****** high major teams. He's only restricting Elijah from 13 teams that are Top 150 teams. That's not much at all.

Also, don't pick many upsets in your brackets next year since transfers are killing the fun that used to be the first round.
They can't? Pretty easy for an opposing coach to scare off recruits over this.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
They can't? Pretty easy for an opposing coach to scare off recruits over this.

That restriction shouldn't really scare any new recruit at that level. It's 13 teams out of the Top 150. Frankly, it seems like it's just a restriction on us, which is interesting, but Elijah is going to have plenty of chances to play at a higher level.

I don't think recruits really scare that easily anymore. I wish I knew how things worked, I don't.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that it's dumb that the coach would block him going to teams that they're not going to play.

I actually would take him as a sit out transfer...if we miss out on Juiston, Brown and Alstork. At that point, we are basically taking our lumps next year to make a run in 18-19. I could see Long playing a role like Donovan Jackson did this past year. But I'm guessing he isn't transferring to come off the bench for spot minutes.