Gamblin…Smoke and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
No, you tagged the site publisher to chime in on your asinine, unfounded troll job.

I truly question the level of insecurity it takes to create an account on a rival's site and post nonstop.
I love it. The more they post here the more it shows they spend a significant time thinking about ISU. Anytime an Iowa fan claims EIU fans couldn’t care less about ISU just show them CF.

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
Haha yes I’m sure that’s it. Noah Shannon is a great kid, clearly had Haha yes I’m sure that’s it. Noah Shannon is a great kid, clearly had a lapse in judgement. What I don’t know is if the punishment coming is more severe than originally thought or if they thought they’d have the answers by now and don’t.

They’re all good kids that are getting completely screwed over right now. Boosters buying kids Maybach’s other places and the NCAA decided to screw over kids at Iowa and ISU with fanduel accounts putting 20 bucks on Bulls games

• Dislike
Reactions: Turn2

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
The only borderline delusional thing I have said is that the West is better top to bottom than the East. The bottom of the East is fricken terrible, Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan State (post Dantonio will be more like 2022 than 2021 going forward).

Other than that, I stand behind everything I have said.
Iowa will make the playoffs before ISU wins 10 games. Great new format, congrats!
I typically throw out all logic when it comes to the Iowa/ISU matchup, but this year I’ll be absolutely shocked if ISU wins. Iowa has a squad.
You must not understand the context of the word talent.

Kaleb Brown was the only freshman at OSU who did not redshirt last year in arguably one of the most stacked WR rooms in the country, not just last year, but in the past 10 years. While he hasn't "proven it" on the field in a game, early reports from inside the program is that he is a game changer Iowa has not had at WR before.
I have Iowa at very worst 8-4, likely 9-3, 10-2 possible, 11-1 is slightly possible. BIG 10 championship birth likely.
Lol right. And these were all from only the first page of your responses. You’re delusional about being delusional, in true hawk form. Never change, Hawkeyes and more specifically you, IowaLOUD

herkyshere

May 5, 2023
Lol right. And these were all from only the first page of your responses. You’re delusional about being delusional, in true hawk form. Never change, Hawkeyes and more specifically you, IowaLOUD
Iowa is much closer to making a playoff, especially with the expanded playoff coming, current roster, success of the Swarm NIL, etc. than ISU is to winning 10 games.

It will be considered underperforming if they don’t win 9 games and make the BIG championship this year.

This a year that on paper they should easily beat ISU.

May be subjective but far from delusional.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Iowa is much closer to making a playoff, especially with the expanded playoff coming, current roster, success of the Swarm NIL, etc. than ISU is to winning 10 games.

It will be considered underperforming if they don’t win 9 games and make the BIG championship this year.

This a year that on paper they should easily beat ISU.

May be subjective but far from delusional.
I think you have to caveat this a bit. Iowa isn't closer because they're so much better, but because they're in a better position.

This year Iowa has a fighting chance at the playoffs simply because their schedule is absolute dog ****. The only game they won't be favored in is against PSU and that's with them having a very young roster. Absent that game, any losses outside of the CCG would be a letdown. Because of their weak ass schedule, the only way they get to the playoffs is by winning the CCG and no more than 1 game.

In the future, Iowa is likely never going to be above 3rd in the league - and that's only likely 1) the years they luck out schedule wise, 2) Penn State doesn't take 3rd, and 3) Nebraska and Wisconsin don't get things figured out.

It would likely take 3-4 teams from the B1G getting into the playoffs for Iowa to make it. Unfortunately, with an expanded playoff, there could be years where the SEC or B1G take 3-4 teams.

UnbiasedHawk

Jul 6, 2013
I think you have to caveat this a bit. Iowa isn't closer because they're so much better, but because they're in a better position.

This year Iowa has a fighting chance at the playoffs simply because their schedule is absolute dog ****. The only game they won't be favored in is against PSU and that's with them having a very young roster. Absent that game, any losses outside of the CCG would be a letdown. Because of their weak ass schedule, the only way they get to the playoffs is by winning the CCG and no more than 1 game.

In the future, Iowa is likely never going to be above 3rd in the league - and that's only likely 1) the years they luck out schedule wise, 2) Penn State doesn't take 3rd, and 3) Nebraska and Wisconsin don't get things figured out.

It would likely take 3-4 teams from the B1G getting into the playoffs for Iowa to make it. Unfortunately, with an expanded playoff, there could be years where the SEC or B1G take 3-4 teams.
Totally agree. I think both Iowa and Iowa State have to “catch lightning in a bottle” to make the CFP. For ISU, I think that means winning the B12 in the future. For Iowa, I think there is a little more flexibility - need to finish top 3 in the B1G. No easy task for either, but I think there will still be years where either team catches some breaks and things are still exciting heading into November. Those years are just fun as hell to follow and I think will still exist in the new CFB world.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Jeremy you're also forgetting USC and "maybe" UCLA. In this new format with OSU, Michigan, Penn State and USC I just don't see Iowa getting top 3.. Could they? Sure, anything is possible, but realistically it's not going to happen because you also have to think about Nebraska possibly figuring things out, Wisconsin probably figuring things out, and then Chip Kelly at UCLA possibly building that thing up.

Meanwhile you have Kirk most likely retiring in the next 3-5 years. I just don't see it happening.

I'll also state that as things stand I do not see ISU ever making that playoff. If you'd have asked me two years ago I would've said things were looking good but that's not the case anymore. The plus side is that we'll get a favorable schedule here and there but in that case we will most likely have to win the conference to get in.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Iowa will absolutely screw the pooch in games other than penn st. Hell they might still have 3 or 4 losses and Win in happy valley.

Will absolutely get their best shot. This year more than other because of the expectations over their Kirk knows a win in Ames will go a long way.

herkyshere

May 5, 2023
Jeremy you're also forgetting USC and "maybe" UCLA. In this new format with OSU, Michigan, Penn State and USC I just don't see Iowa getting top 3.. Could they? Sure, anything is possible, but realistically it's not going to happen because you also have to think about Nebraska possibly figuring things out, Wisconsin probably figuring things out, and then Chip Kelly at UCLA possibly building that thing up.

Meanwhile you have Kirk most likely retiring in the next 3-5 years. I just don't see it happening.

I'll also state that as things stand I do not see ISU ever making that playoff. If you'd have asked me two years ago I would've said things were looking good but that's not the case anymore. The plus side is that we'll get a favorable schedule here and there but in that case we will most likely have to win the conference to get in.
Wisconsin's identity change is going to be an interesting thing to watch. They have had all their success with giant offensive lineman who maul over defenses while having a great defense themselves. Are the offensive lineman they currently have or are used to having success with translate well to the pass happy offense coming in? Too early to tell, but I could see them becoming the next Nebraska. Their recruiting footprint and being the only division 1 football program in a state of almost 6 million people is an advantage over Nebraska, but I still think they could face similar fates.

USC traveling to BIG in late October and November could be fun to watch, hopefully the BIG doesn't baby them with their schedule in that regard early on.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wisconsin's identity change is going to be an interesting thing to watch. They have had all their success with giant offensive lineman who maul over defenses while having a great defense themselves. Are the offensive lineman they currently have or are used to having success with translate well to the pass happy offense coming in? Too early to tell, but I could see them becoming the next Nebraska. Their recruiting footprint and being the only division 1 football program in a state of almost 6 million people is an advantage over Nebraska, but I still think they could face similar fates.

USC traveling to BIG in late October and November could be fun to watch, hopefully the BIG doesn't baby them with their schedule in that regard early on.
I could definitely see the Big 10 doing that honestly, which would be bull **** in my opinion but not surprising.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Totally agree. I think both Iowa and Iowa State have to “catch lightning in a bottle” to make the CFP. For ISU, I think that means winning the B12 in the future. For Iowa, I think there is a little more flexibility - need to finish top 3 in the B1G. No easy task for either, but I think there will still be years where either team catches some breaks and things are still exciting heading into November. Those years are just fun as hell to follow and I think will still exist in the new CFB world.
Your statement is reasonable, but it doesn't relate to the thread topic. Just 'splainin' the dumb.

• Dumb
Reactions: criticalobserver

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I completely skipped over USC and UCLA, good catch. USC will be a perennial contender with Riley. UCLA may FINALLY be getting it's recruiting push under Chip.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

I'm shocked Texas has to come to Ames Nov 18 this year.

herkyshere

May 5, 2023

I agree with some of your sentiment, but if from my point of view, Iowa's football program is in a much better place than ISU. Strength of current roster, status of football program historically combined with recent success, NFL success, being in the BIG, NIL situation.

It is probably frustrating as ISU fans, but being in the BIG and SEC will be a huge recruiting advantage over a period of 10 years, especially if revenue sharing ever enters the equation.

It will take lightning in a bottle in order for either of them to make the playoffs, but I look at the past 25 years and Iowa would have made a 12 team playoff at least 3-4 times. ISU has still not won 10 games, while that may get easier without Texas and Oklahoma ever being on their schedule.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Maybe I'm alone but I think this is Kirk's last year. New AD, changing league, he's going to hit 200 career wins this year and the stuff with Brian. It just feels like the right time to step away.

The question becomes does the new AD give it to LeVar Woods or does she decide to re-make the program in her image.
I agree. Should be a good year record wise, leave on a high note - matches his ego. I've always thought he and Barta would go out basically together.

Hopefully the new AD hires a couple of Mike Rileys in a row.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU
Status
Not open for further replies.