High School State Tournaments

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The Paulsen's were being recruited by ISU. Askren wanted to come to ISU and came up to Bono while at a meet or something. Bono told Ben that he wasn't good enough to come to ISU and that we didn't want him.
Had always heard this story, wasn't sure if it was true. When Askren was working for wisco, someone asked it as a question on FRL. He confirmed it.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The 4 left in the semis
285 Daniel Herrera (Palm Desert (SS)) F Adam Stanley (Bakersfield (CS)), 2:54

285 Evan Glines (Vista del Lago (SJ)) DEC Adam Farha (Poway (SD)), 3-2

285 Sam Hinojosa (Stagg (SJ)) F Isaiah Morales (Lemoore (CS)), 2:48

285 Zachary Limon (Clovis (CS)) DEC Gerard Marshall (Hoopa (NC)), 10-6

Limon is ranked #18 by Flo and a Cal Poly commit

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Watch the 120 pound California final on Flo. The 3rd period was crazy. Cortez of Gilroy won 1-0, but was in danger of a defensive fall for about 45 seconds.

Also Gilroy has some young studs at 120, 126, & 132

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Watch the 120 pound California final on Flo. The 3rd period was crazy. Cortez of Gilroy won 1-0, but was in danger of a defensive fall for about 45 seconds.

Also Gilroy has some young studs at 120, 126, & 132
Don't follow OSU's recruiting much. Does DC have much of a tie with Oklahoma State anymore? Didn't know if he pushed kids that way?

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I would be happy if ISU consistently finished top 5, with trophy years sprinkled in. Of course if they win a title I’ll be ecstatic. Penn State is a machine right now. Who wouldn’t want to go there if they wanted you. You have tons of opportunities to get way better in that room and with the Nittany Lion club guys
No doubt Cael has built a formidable situation at PSU which includes the NLWC. And for how mush $$$ Dresser seems to raise the caliber of athletes in CWC is sub-par. Having said that, if I were Dresser/Metcalf/St. John my argument would be a team can only start 10 guys. At the end of the day wrestlers want to put on a singlet and compete. You can achieve just as much at ISU as you can at PSU (i.e. David Carr).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No doubt Cael has built a formidable situation at PSU which includes the NLWC. And for how mush $$$ Dresser seems to raise the caliber of athletes in CWC is sub-par. Having said that, if I were Dresser/Metcalf/St. John my argument would be a team can only start 10 guys. At the end of the day wrestlers want to put on a singlet and compete. You can achieve just as much at ISU as you can at PSU (i.e. David Carr).
I may be way off, but i always saw the RTC's more as a way to help recruiting and coaching. You get to add a coach and afterwards that wrestler who sticks around can go RTC roster and pull some cash to recoup some of the smaller scholarship that they agreed to take. Then throw in you get a coach and maybe a couple higher end finished wrestlers who will work out with your wrestlers to give them better competition.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
There's more to it than that as far as how the CRTC spends its dollars.
I’m aware. My point is look at senior level guys at Iowa and Penn State. The only resident athlete listed on the CRTC website is a kid I’ve never heard named Duncan Lee. We need to up our game.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I wonder if recruits pay more attention to the mystery guys in the room who no one knows about, or maybe they see the guys out competing on the circuit for their clubs?
I'd guess recruits care more about NIL and coaches/teammates than Senior level guys. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to get all 3 but if you can only afford 2 out of 3 then I would say our coaches have made the right decisions.