Iowa starting quarterback for Iowa State

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
OL was bad but I think SP is Iowa's biggest problem, and it's not close. SP did have clean looks yesterday and, same as last year, he just missed. Badly.
Having watched most/all of that game, I was stunned by some of the easy/short passes he just flat missed by a mile. I still am not convinced it will matter next week though, as ISU keeps finding more and more creative ways to lose that game.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
So if we do happen to win.... Iowa already has their excuses all lined up..... injuries.
And, you know, it's always our super bowl... :D
This game as always will come down to a low scoring affair, with ISU trying to out play EIU at their game. The EIU defense will crowd the LOS and ISU will continue to run in a stack defense. ISU will have its usual EIU game of 2 or 3 turnovers and EIU will not have any.
ISU will allow the EIU punter all day to stand there before he kicks, allowing the gunners to get down the field and cover the ball inside the 10 yard line or force a fair catch by the ISU returners.

Hope I am wrong, but it will be another 3 to 7 point loss, with ISU out gaining EIU in every category, but the most important ones, turnovers and the scoreboard.
You are officially banned for the rest of the week! :p
The problem is we never beat them lol.
There's a first time for everything.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would bet money they won't switch QBs. Kirk is arrogant and pigheaded. His racist dickhead strength coach works his players so hard it puts their lives at risk which creates national headlines. What does Ferentz do? Creates an award to give to Doyle essentially giving the middle finger to everyone. Kirk's ******* son orchestrates the worst power five offense in the country last year and everyone's calling for him to be fired. What does Ferentz do? Makes him the QB coach. Former players come out en masse complaining about the racist culture of the program, leading to the formation of a diversity council to address the situation. After the smoke clears what does Kirk do? Disbands the council and it's back to business as usual.

Maybe in the past he would begrudgingly switch QBs based on the recommendation of his OC, but I gaurantee Brian is every bit as arrogant and pigheaded as his old man. Those two aren't going to be able to swallow their pride and admit they are wrong. Hawk fans better get ready to ride this season out with Petrass.

Paddythefatty

Jul 25, 2021
No, its based on watching Northwestern ALMOST as religiously as I've watched Iowa State since Fitz got there.

I'm a huge Pat Fitzgerald fan and NW fan. Even back when Randy Bates was there and Walker etc..

Other than Iowa State - I always watch Northwestern whenever I can - just like I'll watch Vanderbilt whenever I can. Always Iowa State first but schools who are in a under dog role, I watch them as much as I can

-----

and yes, Pat knows where the holes are, you are correct about that. My point was that Fitzgerald does not want to take risks or play balls to the wall. He's a conservative very fundamental coach which is similar to Kirk. Which is part of why NW matches up with Iowa so well - because they're so similar.
Every big ten west team outside Purdue or Nebraska follow the Iowa/Wisconsin recipe. PJ Fleck finds the biggest/heaviest OL he can & will go with foot to foot splits simply cuz they’re happy with falling forward for 2-3 yards & punting. It’s all body shots waiting for the right moment & slowing the game down to cover up talent deficiencies. Boring football but it’s tough to deal with

Reactions: DukeofStratford

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
OL was bad but I think SP is Iowa's biggest problem, and it's not close. SP did have clean looks yesterday and, same as last year, he just missed. Badly.
I’m sure he’s a nice guy, KF tells as much after every craptastic outing, but he’s just not good at the quarterbacking.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
IMO if the QB who started for SEMO was playing for SDSU.........Iowa is 0-1.

Because the QB for SDSU was actually worse than Petras.
He was the MVC Offensive POY as a Freshman. For as bad is Iowa’s offense is, their defense is on the other end of the spectrum.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This question must have been asked by someone that doesn’t know Ferentz at all.

When, in his almost 30 years as a head coach for Iowa, has he pulled a quarterback for another? Can probably count on one hand. Now in those handful of times, how many times did it happen after the first game?

Asking this question assumes Kirk has totally changed as a person and coach between last week and this week.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclonehomer

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
This question must have been asked by someone that doesn’t know Ferentz at all.

When, in his almost 30 years as a head coach for Iowa, has he pulled a quarterback for another? Can probably count on one hand. Now in those handful of times, how many times did it happen after the first game?

Asking this question assumes Kirk has totally changed as a person and coach between last week and this week.
The only mid-season, non-injury qb changes or dual qbs used I can recall were CJB for Rudock in 2014, 2008 Stanzi for Jake Christensen and 2001 McCann and Brad Banks.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Ha. He was explaining that as a function of their dysfunction. He said top RB and WRs had injury issues vs SDSU, but that Petras could not hit an open guy to save his life and it might not have mattered if those players were healthy.

Says Petras must be a good practice QB, because he's not good on gameday.
He also believes that 17-20 points can beat Iowa.
17-20 points beats most Big Ten teams.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The only mid-season, non-injury qb changes or dual qbs used I can recall were CJB for Rudock in 2014, 2008 Stanzi for Jake Christensen and 2001 McCann and Brad Banks.
And, forgive me for not knowing my hawkeye lore, but was any of those switches this early in the season? Maybe Banks?

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
And, forgive me for not knowing my hawkeye lore, but was any of those switches this early in the season? Maybe Banks?
The soonest I recall was Stanzi for Christensen in the second half of the 4th game. He and Christensen were kind of splitting reps if I recall until then though. I really don’t see Padilla getting a chance unless things get out of hand and the game is basically out of reach.

Banks and McCann were basically splitting reps most of 2001 iirc. McCann got the lions share because BB admittedly didn’t know the playbook since he was a first year JUCO guy. We all know how complex the Iowa playbook is. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone