Iowa State in Puerto Rico Shootout in 2017

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
When will the official dates and teams be listed? I think I might plan a family reunion in San Juan.

The 2017 Puerto Rico Tip-Off is scheduled for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, November 16, 17 and 19 in San Juan at the Coliseo Roberto Clemente.

Florida State. Iowa State. Tulsa. Western Michigan. UTEP. Illinois State. Boise State. South Carolina.

Bracket and times of each game will probably be released this summer.

http://espnevents.com/tire-pros-inv...s-returning-schools-2016-ncaa-participants-2/

Reactions: Goofyguy1

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I disagree. It just gives them garbage opponents.
They don't need Duke, but they need something challenging to bring the team together.

But, it's Cyclone basketball, and we don't strive for anything good schedules around here.
I don't think anyone truly believes that. They have a Home and Home with Mizzou, they have a SEC match up, they just finished up with Cincy. Iowa State never has one of the weakest of schedules like other schools in the big 12. KSU, Tech, and TCU consistently have worse schedules than ISU.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I disagree. It just gives them garbage opponents.
They don't need Duke, but they need something challenging to bring the team together.

But, it's Cyclone basketball, and we don't strive for anything good schedules around here.

I think it's more about the experience personally. I know we go 'round and 'round about this subject every year, but our conference slate is difficult enough to prove if we're worthy of an NCAA tourney bid or not.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I don't think anyone truly believes that. They have a Home and Home with Mizzou, they have a SEC match up, they just finished up with Cincy. Iowa State never has one of the weakest of schedules like other schools in the big 12. KSU, Tech, and TCU consistently have worse schedules than ISU.

Iowa State's national perception is on a much higher level than those schools though. Iowa State should be playing with a similar nonconference schedule to West Virginia.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa State's national perception is on a much higher level than those schools though. Iowa State should be playing with a similar nonconference schedule to West Virginia.

Knowing what we would lose after this last year, it would carry zero benefit to stack our non con schedule. The Big 12 has an advantage with the round robin schedule because you know every conference game that will be played vs a watered down B1G, ACC, or Pac 12 schedule. If we were going into next season with higher expectations, I wouldn't be thrilled with our non con but for a rebuild year I think it's fine.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It wouldn't be all bad to go up a team fresh off a final four appearance. Can't control it now, might as well win the whole thing and hope some teams in that field end up getting bids in March.

People forget that if we take care of business in the big 12 (like last year), we can afford an average non conference season. The Big 12 is simply that tough.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We have more then enough tough teams, and play in arguably the best basketball conference. Wins will boost this young teams confidence and bring them together more quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm curious how the bracket will look. That can make a difference for rating strength of the tournament exclusively from an individual team standpoint.

It's probably ISU and SC will be in opposite brackets. I could guess at the pairings from there (I think I did a prediction somewhere in this thread, it's likely to be close).

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Really impressive line-up. Comes at a really good time for us, too. Need to secure some important pieces in the 2018 class, but I think we're going to have a very strong team for that tournament.

The stars are really aligning for us that year. Wiggington Shayock, Lewis, Lard, Young, Babb, Jacobson, Long(hopefully he emerges). We are in on some good recruits, and are bound to have better luck with recruits next year(right?). That's a lot of raw talent right now who will have a year of experience(or more) under their belts. High ceiling team that will play in a great tournament, then the road to the real tournament... Des Moines, Hilton South, then Minneapolis.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
IF we can beat mizzou and take home the PR tipoff title, that can potentially start getting us votes in the top 25. Even if it is all smoke and mirrors (not so great competition) that is a real confidence booster and can help shape the rest of the non con. I don't mind having a lackluster field this year.