ISU to the Big East?

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
jsimpsonfat.jpg

Have at it cowboy. Just make sure you sneak her out the back door so nobody catches you.

awful photoshop

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
IF the latest rumor of aTm to the SEC is true, that would leave an opening for KU should the PAC 10 continue to push towards 16. I guess we'll see how firm this "gentleman's agreement" is between KSU and KU to stay in the same conference.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I'm hoping we merge with the Big East football schools and then the basketball only schools go form their own conference. You would then have:

East:
UCONN
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
USF
Rutgers

West:
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Louisville
Cincinnati

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
The more and more I hear about aTm to the SEC and the Pac 10s interest in KU, the more Im starting to think this may not happen. :chatterbox:

fwiw

May 20, 2009
Allegedly, according to reports around today's conference call, maybe it shouldn't be assumed the MWC is going to poach B12 leftovers, it might be the other way around.

chrishull14

Jan 31, 2007
Cyclone City
At this point, I don't know how we put any real stock in any "official" statement. Everyone seems to be saying what they are supposed to say. I don't trust anybody.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
At this point, I don't know how we put any real stock in any "official" statement. Everyone seems to be saying what they are supposed to say. I don't trust anybody.

BUMP (the really long thread that started to die, but shouldn't). :wink:

I agree. However, the conference call earlier between the "remaining 5" schools gives me some hope about the chance of us at least considering the Big East. I have to disagree with people who are worried about the instability of the Big East and the travel difficulties; the average mileage to a Big East school is LESS than the MWC schools (as pointed out in an earlier thread). People seem to shrink the size of the frontier in their heads, or something, probably because no people live there, but it is BIG. In addition, by getting the Big East to 12 schools and getting a new TV deal, we could create more stability for that league.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
BUMP (the really long thread that started to die, but shouldn't). :wink:

I agree. However, the conference call earlier between the "remaining 5" schools gives me some hope about the chance of us at least considering the Big East. I have to disagree with people who are worried about the instability of the Big East and the travel difficulties; the average mileage to a Big East school is LESS than the MWC schools (as pointed out in an earlier thread). People seem to shrink the size of the frontier in their heads, or something, probably because no people live there, but it is BIG. In addition, by getting the Big East to 12 schools and getting a new TV deal, we could create more stability for that league.

I agree about the mileage (and this thread not dying). The average distance to all the BE schools is less than to the MWC schools. Consider then that we probably won't travel to half of the BE schools in basketball every year because of two 10 team divisions and the difference is even bigger and the advantage in travel for the BR even larger.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I dont get the distance thing either.

Basically if you aren't in driving distance 2-3 hours... you are flying anyway. So what does it matter if you fly 500 miles vs 800 miles.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I think that this works out better for ISU in the long run. Everyone says that we'll be more competitive if we move to the MWC. I don't think that we need to move to mid major to accomplish that. We can do it in the Big East. It's a conference that suits our forte (traditionally basketball) and makes us at least competitive in a wide open football conference. Not to mention downright dominant in vb :wink:. Is the money as good as the Big XII-2? Maybe not. Is it better than the MWC. Yes. A new day dawns in the (Big) east. Let's get going.

Reactions: ajk4st8

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I dont get the distance thing either.

Basically if you aren't in driving distance 2-3 hours... you are flying anyway. So what does it matter if you fly 500 miles vs 800 miles.

That's a good question. At what mileage point does our team fly versus take a bus?

19Cy78

Mar 31, 2006
After a 1,000 posts read in this thread.:notworthy: I think the BIG12 is staying and cashing the check everyone left to start the future BIG12 Conference, just a hunch, but the more and more you read into it, AM is the one I'm the most concerned with b/c if they rock the boat and jump to the SEC, then karma again is twisted.

The 5 leftovers, Cincy, L'ville, Memphis, BYU, Utah, TCU and Houston. The New BIG12. No way the BCS takes away our shoe in bid, plus we keep our bowls, for giggles even go after Florida State and Miami who are not on the radar currently of the SEC/ACC.:jimlad:

But after 2nd thought...would BYU even be allowed to play Miami?

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
I think that this works out better for ISU in the long run. Everyone says that we'll be more competitive if we move to the MWC. I don't think that we need to move to mid major to accomplish that. We can do it in the Big East. It's a conference that suits our forte (traditionally basketball) and makes us at least competitive in a wide open football conference. Not to mention downright dominant in vb :wink:. Is the money as good as the Big XII-2? Maybe not. Is it better than the MWC. Yes. A new day dawns in the (Big) east. Let's get going.

Devil's Advocate: If enough of the Big XII moves to the MWC, is it still a mid major?