ISU's academic rankings decline continues

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Good question. I don't think this is a unique Iowa trend. IMO this is an entire society trend.

For example, listen to the Oscar acceptance speeches from past winners vs. today's winners. Previous winners had grace and a well thought out thank you speech; now we have winners feeding into the society hot topics while more concerned about their twitter account responses.

Another example is politics. Listen to the political candidates speeches today vs. the great leader of our past. We were at Mount Rushmore this summer and they have displayed writings of each of the four presidents. Neither Trump or Biden could possibly write such well thought out statement.

Finally, look at our Churches. Today's pastors are more concerned about attendance numbers and what clothes to wear that will make them look cool, than researching the Bible for well prepared sermons. (there are still some however that are incredible).

Technology is great...but it is creating a laziness in all of us... me included. Perhaps I am to critical.

In a hundred years everybody will communicate strictly with emojis and patterned grunts/yelps. Not because we will be dumb. It's just what we are going to evolve into. Ever see the movie Explorers with River Phoenix? They make a space ship out of a tilt-a-whirl and meet aliens. The aliens communicate in "pop culture" clips they picked up on while spying on earth. That will be us basically.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In a hundred years everybody will communicate strictly with emojis and patterned grunts/yelps. Not because we will be dumb. It's just what we are going to evolve into. Ever see the movie Explorers with River Phoenix? They make a space ship out of a tilt-a-whirl and meet aliens. The aliens communicate in "pop culture" clips they picked up on while spying on earth. That will be us basically.

Sullivan Ballou was a Union solider from Rhode Island during the Civil War.

Here is the text of a letter he wrote to his wife.

---

July the 14th, 1861

Washington D.C.

My very dear Sarah:

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure—and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine O God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows—when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children—is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar—that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the brightest day and in the darkest night—amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours—always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care. Little Willie is too young to remember me long, and my blue-eyed Edgar will keep my frolics with him among the dimmest memories of his childhood. Sarah, I have unlimited confidence in your maternal care and your development of their characters. Tell my two mothers his and hers I call God's blessing upon them. O Sarah, I wait for you there! Come to me, and lead thither my children.

Sullivan

---

Major Ballou was killed in action a week later at the First Battle of Bull Run.

Compare that elegance to the median discourse on cable news or social media nowadays.

Most people are probably going to tl;dr this anyways, even though it is only 743 words.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The link between rate of public funding for state universities and their overall academic excellence is direct. Full stop. Iowa has made its choice, and these rankings drops are the result. You cannot talk your way around this, and it does no good to kill the messenger (the ranking organization).

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

---

July the 14th, 1861

Washington D.C.

My very dear Sarah:

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure—and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine O God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows—when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children—is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar—that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the brightest day and in the darkest night—amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours—always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care. Little Willie is too young to remember me long, and my blue-eyed Edgar will keep my frolics with him among the dimmest memories of his childhood. Sarah, I have unlimited confidence in your maternal care and your development of their characters. Tell my two mothers his and hers I call God's blessing upon them. O Sarah, I wait for you there! Come to me, and lead thither my children.

Sullivan

---

Compare that elegance to the median discourse on cable news or social media nowadays.

Most people are probably going to tl;dr this anyways, even though it is only 743 words.
That guy writes more than you even. Was that your relative?

• Haha
Reactions: Neptune78

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That guy writes more than you even. Was that your relative?

That is exactly my point -- people on here complain about me writing 300ish words.

That is two paragraphs in an academic text. Maybe roughly a page in a book. I thought you all went to college...?

There is a direct trade-off between the length of a passage and the complexity and nuance of the ideas that it can grapple with. When two paragraphs is too much for people, guess how intelligent their ideas are?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

---

July the 14th, 1861

Washington D.C.

My very dear Sarah:

Sullivan

---

And just to add, if you do much reading of Civil War correspondence, this letter wouldn’t stand out as some huge exception to other examples.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
And just to add, if you do much reading of Civil War correspondence, this letter wouldn’t stand out as some huge exception to other examples.

Indeed -- amazing how articulate 19-year old farmers' sons who had never been outside of the county of their birth until they enlisted to fight for President Lincoln could be. I guess facing death brings clarity.

Compare that to the average college student's social media output nowadays.

Reactions: Acylum and Beernuts

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020

---

July the 14th, 1861

Washington D.C.

My very dear Sarah:

Sullivan

---

As eloquently written as his prose may be, and as unfortunate as it is that this writing ability is rare amongst the contemporary general population, let us keep in mind that over 20% of the US population was illiterate in 1860. Today, 0.6% of our population is illiterate.

Communication has certainly been dumbed down to an extent, but let's celebrate the small things, right? Like most of our population being able to read.;)

(To clarify, I jest, and truly am scared by the simplicity of communication that modern mediums encourage. Still, I do not think we are devolving into an all but illiterate society that communicates strictly with one syllable words.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigmapolis

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

---

July the 14th, 1861

Washington D.C.

My very dear Sarah:

Sullivan

---

My great grandmother used to write to a pen pal in France from 1912-1914. I have those letters, and the level of writing is incredible. And the cursive was amazing as well. When I was 11-12 I more or less produced chicken scratches when I wrote on paper.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@Cypow

I appreciate your concern for the university and your throwing of ideas out on what could be done to improve its academic standing, but I do not know what is really to be done here. States are getting out of supporting state universities, and the notion of a "state" university is increasingly becoming an antiquated term.

States have limited fiscal resources. Medicaid and public pensions are working on swallowing everything up. Something has to give, and the transfer to the board of regents just tends to be one of the things to go.

This is true in many states, not just in Iowa, but lots of other large four-year research schools are just in a better position to weather it because of their "premier" status in the state or their large endowments.

It is tough right now for ISU hanging on the bottom tier of the major research schools.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Are criteria for the rankings available?

Yes, here they are...I'd take these things with a grain of salt. Also, not a speck of it includes state funding or politics.

A full 1/3 of these rankings are just academic circle, well you know what, SURVEY's

30% are Research citations - I'd argue heavily that a simple count is mostly useless but difficult to make this a little more relevant.

4.5% Staff-student ratio's - going to hurt large institutions and growth like ISU saw
8.25% - Doctorate numbers

7.5% - number of International students/staff? - Lol this is completely useless. I'd say most students would say this is a negative, not a positive

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Ask any department, foreign student numbers are down, a direct link to political unrest and Covid-19 response.

Absolutely true. My department has zero freshman international students this year. That has never happened before especially given we are a science department.

Also, State funding, who ISU is, and the structure of higher ed in Iowa are the three biggest issues I see. First, funding, when the State continuously pulls money in the middle of the year that creates shortfalls. My department alone used to have seven office support people and now there are three. Support people do a lot of the dirty work that is now getting pushed to faculty. Faculty don't want to do that nor do they have time to push paper when they need to keep pushing research. When you can't retain the great faculty and you can only attract good faculty that hurts rankings a lot. Two, we have to be open to every Iowa student. There are students who qualify to enroll but can hardly tie their own shoes. It is the nature of a land grant. Three, there are too many schools in Iowa. With 25+ private schools and three public the in-state student pool is diluted. It is difficult to attract the best in-state when there are so many others in the State doing that too.

Lyddea

May 9, 2011
While I’m not happy about the drop in funding support by the state these rankings are frankly no different than the best city lists that always come out. They really have no basis in reality IMO.

As a Prof at another Uni that is in the 150-250 mixer... these rankings are frustrating and stupid, but unlike the "best city lists" these rankings have real world consequences.

This isn't a huge deal, but there are certain foreign countries that condition their fellowship support for their students on the Uni being in the top 200 world rankings. Here we fluctuated below 200 in 2018, then back above since, and in the 2019 application cycle (so using 2018 rankings) we received almost zero applications from said country (that pays top dollar plus, every one of their students funds ~2 US students).

I also don't know what to do with this but... these stupid rankings do matter in some very practical ways.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Yes, here they are...I'd take these things with a grain of salt. Also, not a speck of it includes state funding or politics.

Politics affects state funding, state funding affects the criteria. You will never see state funding as an explicit criteria. It indirectly affects rankings. Politics obviously has a major effect on rankings as well, though it is separated by another degree (as politics affect legislation which affects funding).

7.5% - number of International students/staff? - Lol this is completely useless. I'd say most students would say this is a negative, not a positive
I would agree that this is a somewhat useless metric, which certainly disadvantages Midwest universities and benefits UK universities (where THE is based).

That said, international exposure is certainly beneficial to domestic students, and having a high number of foreign students come to the US for university is part of what propelled American universities to the top during the latter half of the twentieth century. So yes, this may be a biased metric, but make no mistake, more international students is an objectively GOOD thing.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with your points. 8.5% Doctorate count stands out to me. I know ISU has been pushing for more graduate students at the PhD level.

Reactions: STLISU

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
That is exactly my point -- people on here complain about me writing 300ish words.

That is two paragraphs in an academic text. Maybe roughly a page in a book. I thought you all went to college...?

There is a direct trade-off between the length of a passage and the complexity and nuance of the ideas that it can grapple with. When two paragraphs is too much for people, guess how intelligent their ideas are?

So here is a question for you. Is there a correlation between the complexity of writing and the frequency of communication? I would think that there is in some form. If I was only able to communicate with someone (say my mom for instance) once every 3 months I'm pretty sure that my hand-written letter on expensive paper with expensive ink that is going to take weeks to reach home would be far more complex and nuanced than the text message conversation we had last week about my sister's dog.

Also, we've got all these fancy preserved letters. Where are the poor ones? Not every one of those letters was written by a literary genius. There's bound to be a fair number that were written by a farm boy who was chicken scratching his way through a letter home.

Reactions: BigTurk