ISU's academic rankings decline continues

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
As a Prof at another Uni that is in the 150-250 mixer... these rankings are frustrating and stupid, but unlike the "best city lists" these rankings have real world consequences.

This isn't a huge deal, but there are certain foreign countries that condition their fellowship support for their students on the Uni being in the top 200 world rankings. Here we fluctuated below 200 in 2018, then back above since, and in the 2019 application cycle (so using 2018 rankings) we received almost zero applications from said country (that pays top dollar plus, every one of their students funds ~2 US students).

I also don't know what to do with this but... these stupid rankings do matter in some very practical ways.

I understand those students are a big income source to the Universities. Buy I don't need to spend tax money to educate people from all over the Earth. We have plenty of problems educating the locals.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
...there are too many schools in Iowa. With 25+ private schools and three public the in-state student pool is diluted. It is difficult to attract the best in-state when there are so many others in the State doing that too.
Given covid-19 (among many other forces that have been building for years) will likely force many of these smaller LACs and universities to close in the coming years, do you think this will be a net benefit for ISU?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Maybe, but Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota Indiana are all larger in our AAU region and outrank us substantially.
While I’m not happy about the drop in funding support by the state these rankings are frankly no different than the best city lists that always come out. They really have no basis in reality IMO.

exactly. Kansas City never received "best place to live" awards until Royals won World Series. Then every national writer was knocking themselves out about what a wonderful place KC was.

Lyddea

May 9, 2011
I understand those students are a big income source to the Universities. Buy I don't need to spend tax money to educate people from all over the Earth. We have plenty of problems educating the locals.

You aren't spending tax money here, the opposite. The foreign students are funding local students, lowering your tax burden to suppor the same number of in-staters.

At least that's how it works in my R1/state Uni (not in Iowa anymore), but I doubt it's that different other places.

• Winner
Reactions: STLISU

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Politics affects state funding, state funding affects the criteria. You will never see state funding as an explicit criteria. It indirectly affects rankings. Politics obviously has a major effect on rankings as well, though it is separated by another degree (as politics affect legislation which affects funding).

I would agree that this is a somewhat useless metric, which certainly disadvantages Midwest universities and benefits UK universities (where THE is based).

That said, international exposure is certainly beneficial to domestic students, and having a high number of foreign students come to the US for university is part of what propelled American universities to the top during the latter half of the twentieth century. So yes, this may be a biased metric, but make no mistake, more international students is an objectively GOOD thing.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with your points. 8.5% Doctorate count stands out to me. I know ISU has been pushing for more graduate students at the PhD level.

Which criteria does funding effect? The student-faculty ratio a little but that was only 2.5% if I remember. There isn't much difference between hiring masters as opposed to PhD's, they don't really get paid that much more. So those numbers aren't effected.

The whole PhD push began when I was there. One of the main reason's I got one is they made it a lot easier. I really only wanted/needed a master's. It probably hurt more than it helped. But, this isn't about the students, this is about the institution.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That is exactly my point -- people on here complain about me writing 300ish words.

That is two paragraphs in an academic text. Maybe roughly a page in a book. I thought you all went to college...?

There is a direct trade-off between the length of a passage and the complexity and nuance of the ideas that it can grapple with. When two paragraphs is too much for people, guess how intelligent their ideas are?

I ran out of breath and my lips got tired reading that.

• Haha
Reactions: Dopey

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My great grandmother used to write to a pen pal in France from 1912-1914. I have those letters, and the level of writing is incredible. And the cursive was amazing as well. When I was 11-12 I more or less produced chicken scratches when I wrote on paper.

But I bet your great grandmother could never program a VCR or connect a wireless printer. Take that big words!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You aren't spending tax money here, the opposite. The foreign students are funding local students, lowering your tax burden to suppor the same number of in-staters.

At least that's how it works in my R1/state Uni (not in Iowa anymore), but I doubt it's that different other places.

I agree in that they are most likely a large net gain rather than a loss. They don't really bother me much. But there is no way they should effect the institutional rankings in this manner. It's really nothing more than a political diversity statement.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Absolutely true. My department has zero freshman international students this year. That has never happened before especially given we are a science department.

Is that because they've stolen all the good research over the last decade or so? :)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
So here is a question for you. Is there a correlation between the complexity of writing and the frequency of communication? I would think that there is in some form. If I was only able to communicate with someone (say my mom for instance) once every 3 months I'm pretty sure that my hand-written letter on expensive paper with expensive ink that is going to take weeks to reach home would be far more complex and nuanced than the text message conversation we had last week about my sister's dog.

Also, we've got all these fancy preserved letters. Where are the poor ones? Not every one of those letters was written by a literary genius. There's bound to be a fair number that were written by a farm boy who was chicken scratching his way through a letter home.

Ken Burns only kept the good ones.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Which criteria does funding effect? The student-faculty ratio a little but that was only 2.5% if I remember. There isn't much difference between hiring masters as opposed to PhD's, they don't really get paid that much more. So those numbers aren't effected.

The whole PhD push began when I was there. One of the main reason's I got one is they made it a lot easier. I really only wanted/needed a master's. It probably hurt more than it helped. But, this isn't about the students, this is about the institution.
It affects every single criteria on the list indirectly... That should be perfectly clear.

And THE is measuring doctorates because they are out there producing research for the university, securing grants and funding, and raising the institution's reputation with peers. Another example of how one metric has an effect on others.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So here is a question for you. Is there a correlation between the complexity of writing and the frequency of communication? I would think that there is in some form. If I was only able to communicate with someone (say my mom for instance) once every 3 months I'm pretty sure that my hand-written letter on expensive paper with expensive ink that is going to take weeks to reach home would be far more complex and nuanced than the text message conversation we had last week about my sister's dog.

This is a good example of my point about the medium of communications having a strong influence on the content of the communications and, by extension, the thought processes of author and audience.

When a medium naturally lends itself to thoughtful and careful responses, demands that you maximize the quality of your ideas and the power of your writing, and gives author and audience time to think things through...

Guess what, you end up with a more thriving literary and intellectual culture.

When everything is short and punctuated... guess what, everything kind of boils down to playground insults.

People dedicate entire careers and write long books about complex topics, oftentimes only reaching the most threadbare conclusions because of so many complexities, that Twitter limits to 280 characters.

Also, we've got all these fancy preserved letters. Where are the poor ones? Not every one of those letters was written by a literary genius. There's bound to be a fair number that were written by a farm boy who was chicken scratching his way through a letter home.

Major Ballou was certainly exceptional in his final letter. He never comes out and says it with certainty, but you can tell it was a man writing his goodbye to his wife and children before his death in battle.

But, if you read Civil War correspondence, he is a standout but not a outlier.

I do not want to make this political, but reading the remarks of men like Lincoln and Franklin Roosevelt and comparing their words to modern presidents... ones since TV came along... is almost painful.

Reactions: NWICY

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Given covid-19 (among many other forces that have been building for years) will likely force many of these smaller LACs and universities to close in the coming years, do you think this will be a net benefit for ISU?

I would think so, yes. If Simpson, Central, Clarke, and Iowa Wesleyan closed (Just random examples, btw) I would think of portion of each student body would then be attracted to the large state school. I worked recruitment at a small liberal arts college here in Iowa for years. We were always competing with perhaps one other private school and all three state schools. Of course some of the remaining private schools would benefit too. Let's be honest we have too many colleges in this state. When I began working admissions in the late 1990s the VP of Enrollment said then "in ten years one-half of the Iowa private schools will close." Since then I think we've had maybe five close. The others are still hanging on.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just a couple observations over the recent past that seem to be possible contributors.

About ten years ago the cut backs to our public schools here in Iowa really started to escalate. Many districts offered early retirement packages to curb spending very likely at the expense of our future.

As we like to boast out student body is largely instate where TOE has a strong migration from Illinois from which i assume is largely rich suburbs and not Chicago proper where we hear issues.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I didn't realize U of Iowa was that much more expensive, especially for out of state. Their student:staff ratio is better and their female to male much better but everything else is comparable. ISU is 3500 students (12%) larger.

View attachment 75071
View attachment 75072

I see the Male to Female ratio is still brutal at ISU...Think it was 70-30 when i was there..Male.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The drop in academic standing is not due to who the governor is, what political party is in charge, or the amount of money being spent. It is primarily due to the students home life. Our elementary, middle schools and high schools are filled with students who have both behavior and academic issues, that is related to parents not investing time in their kids.

Truth is...I really don't know how you correct the problem anymore. There is a generation of parents that spend more time staring at their phones than actually reading with their children. There is a reason the ACT test scores in Iowa have been steadily going down and our state has lost the "first in education" reputation.

But..if it makes you feel better...go ahead and blame the governor.

And schools allow kids to keep retaking tests to get the grade they want, so you don't really have to try to get stuff right the first time knowing there is a second and third time to try. I am just sure they are doing that over in Asia. And I have been shocked at the lack of homework from schools as compared to 30 years ago. Amazing.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
We look at Nebraska with contempt for being dropped from the AAU, but it looks like we are not far from suffering the same humiliation. A big question is what would it do to ISU if we were dropped from the AAU and then Nebraska was accepted back into it?

OhioClone

Aug 2, 2008
I will add a fourth reasons to my list (and this is actually something of inside information) --

(4.) The high administration at Iowa State has been aware for decades, dating back to at least Martin Jischke, that loose admissions standards hurt our standing on those "vaunted" school rankings lists.

Taking that hit was unavoidable for two reasons...

(a.) ISU only has limited control over admissions standards, particularly for in-state students. Like I said, public schools cannot be too snooty with in-state kids. Trying to tighten them would annoy the legislators from small, rural Iowa counties, which there are a lot of and they are powerful, so you have to learn to live with it.

(b.) Iowa State is not a rich school by the standards of major research universities. In fact, we are one of the poorest. We have to fight for resources with Iowa and UNI, we do not have the "alpha omega" status in a fleet of state universities like Minnesota and Wisconsin have, and we do not have a mega-endowment like Texas or Michigan.

One of the ways... and this is a deliberate strategy on the part of university administration... we make up for that is admitting loosely but then separating the chaff from the wheat with freshmen and sophomores.

That is, we are liberal with our admissions and happy to take underclassmen's money before failing out the undeserving ones. We still get to keep their check for those first few semesters, though, right?

Michigan would never do this because they do not have to. Loose admission standards and lower graduation rates hurt your U.S. News and World Report rankings, after all. But Iowa State does not have the money to concentrate on that. We have to take the money we can, so admitting freely and then culling sternly is one way to do it.

They also deliberately have chosen not to lower our academic standards once the kids show up. They would rather lower our graduation rate than devalue the reputation of our graduates -- that is sacred.
I attended ISU in the early 70's. It was not uncommon back then for Freshman students to be on academic probation. It they were unable to maintain grade point requirements they were ultimately expeled. This practice was tough on many students. However, as I recall, ISU would accept any Iowa high school senior graduating in the top half of their class. There were certainly many students, fulfilling this requirement, that were not well prepared or motivated for college. I don't know if ISU currenlty has the same admissions policy?

At the time I thought this admissions policy was correct. Most people who wanted the opportunity to attend ISU were given the chance. However, they had to perform or they were out. I still believe that this is the best policy for a state supported school. If lower graduation rates is a major reason for the poor academic ratings then, reluctantly, I will accept the lower ratings.

Note, there wasn't much grade inflation at ISU in the seventies. I don't know if that has changed? Many of the Ivy league schools reportedly have so much grade inflation that it would be impractical to expel students based on grades. If allowing poor-performing students to graduate produces high ratings then the schools that do this will get higher ratings. However, in the longer run, their reputations will suffer.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Medicaid was not even part of state budgets in the 1960s. Now, Medicaid spending is roughly 2% of GDP (and states pay around half of that), and it is projected to be closer to 3% of GDP by the 2030s. Any % of GDP is a lot.

Pensions for public sector workers are breaking even nosebleed-level tax states like Illinois and New Jersey despite their high taxes. This rule is not ironclad (for instance, Kentucky does not have a reputation as a high-tax state, and its pension system is a goat rodeo of magnificent magnitude), but there is nothing inherent about higher revenues alone that mean you are better governed.

I find it ironic you bash "conservative talking points" when, in reality, I am all for states making smart investments. State governments used to spend most of their money on actual investments in the form of education and infrastructure improvements for transportation and industry. Now, they spend most of their money on healthcare and retired DMV clerks and schoolteachers. Instead of something we use to build for the future, state budgets now are more about political patronage to well-connected and well-funded interest groups, especially public sector unions.

I do not know about you, but I would rather my taxes go to something that generates a return for society, not just politicians' reelections. I think I am on your side -- spending priorities compete with each other. Post-secondary education is just on a losing streak right now compared to these other items.

All the states you mentioned have one thing in common, they all underfunded their pension plans for state workers by diverting it into other areas. Frontline on PBS did a great story about it last year, the story looked at the problems in Kentucky, and how for over 20 years they had underfunded the plan, and then wanted to the public employees to switch over from a defined benefits program into a more state friendly 401 K plan.
Just like the Feds did with SS, they collected the money, and then chose to spend it on other things instead of saving it to pay the pensions that those people earned.

Help Support Us

Become a patron