Kansas to win or Big 12 to lose?

clone96cr

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Because if the conference looks good, so do we. If the conference sucks, we look bad.

I think this is an overrated notion. Even if KU wins it all, next season ACC will still be looked at as the college basketball pinnacle, because its an easy hot take.

If ISU gets $ payouts resulting from KU's wins, fine I'll take the consolation prize. If it somehow helps ISU recruit good players who want to beat KU, fine I'll take that too.

But until then, I'll root against the Jayhawks.

Because...@#$& KU, I hope they burn in hell.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
When the B12 looks good/strong, it helps the perception of playing in our league with HS kids that live outside of the B12 footprint (which is most of the kids we recruit to ISU).

This is pretty basic stuff IMO.

Last edited:

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I can't bring myself to cheer for Kansas. I would say over the past 5 years Kansas has turned into a team I despise more than Iowa and want to crush. I was cheering for Baylor and WVU in the Sweet 16 as I have no issues with them and would cheer for us and 8 other Big 12 teams but would never bring myself to cheer for Kansas. That being said, the way they played against Purdue on Thursday shows they are likely the favorite to win it all. Nobody can stop them if they keep playing like they did Thursday night.

Reactions: amishclone

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
When the B12 looks good/strong, it helps the perception of playing in gen league with HS kids that live outside of the B12 footprint (which is most of the kids we recruit to ISU).

I think the problem is that some don't see it that way so they assume no one else does either. They would be wrong.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When the B12 looks good/strong, it helps the perception of playing in gen league with HS kids that live outside of the B12 footprint (which is most of the kids we recruit to ISU).

I think the problem is that some don't see it that way so they assume no one else does either. They would be wrong.

You know, those of us that disagree aren't stupid. Put quite simply, the negative of supporting Sleazy Self and his merry band of part-time vandals, along with validating the self-proclaimed superiority of K-Boo fandom simply does not outweigh the positive impact it might have on recruiting as far as I'm concerned.

They may win. That may be good for the conference. But I'll be damned if I'm going to cheer for them.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
You know, those of us that disagree aren't stupid. Put quite simply, the negative of supporting Sleazy Self and his merry band of part-time vandals, along with validating the self-proclaimed superiority of K-Boo fandom simply does not outweigh the positive impact it might have on recruiting as far as I'm concerned.

They may win. That may be good for the conference. But I'll be damned if I'm going to cheer for them.

It doesn't really matter I suppose. At the end of the day, it doesn't make any difference if you root against them or I root for them in the tourney.

They're going to do what they do regardless.

They'll likely continue to dominate the conference every year and be the only B12 team to do anything on a national level regardless.... And their fans will continue to be arrogant.

It is what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Got to cheer for KU. If they win it all ISU is the only team in the country that can say they beat the national champ on their home court. Also, I feel like having a national champ from your conference does help a little with recruiting.

Just still really mad about how piss poor ISU played against PU.....

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It doesn't really matter I suppose. At the end of the day, it doesn't make any difference if you root against them or I root for them in the tourney.

They're going to do what they do regardless.

They'll likely continue to dominate the conference every year and be the only B12 team to do anything on a national level regardless.... And their fans will continue to be arrogant.

It is what it is.
Nope. That's defeatest, IMO.

I took the Cyclones to the NC in my bracket. Not because I'm gloriously inept (although you could probably argue that point)...but because I am a Cyclone fan, and I simply CANNOT root against them (which picking another team over them would entail).

We don't have to accept the fact that Kansas will always be on top...because they HAVEN'T always been on top of the conference. Others (including us, remember?) have been there too. ISU will be back up there. All things come to an end. KU's streak will end. And I'm going to be rooting for the Cyclones to be the team to end it.

Reactions: CTTB78

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Conference love is for losers. Feels good to have 1 sport where ISU isn't a loser.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Nope. That's defeatest, IMO.

I took the Cyclones to the NC in my bracket. Not because I'm gloriously inept (although you could probably argue that point)...but because I am a Cyclone fan, and I simply CANNOT root against them (which picking another team over them would entail).

We don't have to accept the fact that Kansas will always be on top...because they HAVEN'T always been on top of the conference. Others (including us, remember?) have been there too. ISU will be back up there. All things come to an end. KU's streak will end. And I'm going to be rooting for the Cyclones to be the team to end it.

It has nothing to do with defeatist. We've already been defeated so ISU is irreverent to the rest of the tourney.

My argument is that KU doing well, actually benefits ISU more than the B12 looking like a bad basketball league does, long term.

But like I said in the previous post, it really does doesn't matter. It's just a way of looking at it, with no affect on the outcome either way.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Conference love is for losers. Feels good to have 1 sport where ISU isn't a loser.
Unless Iowa State is itself reaching elite 8s or final fours, our brand is absolutely tied to Big 12 success. I do agree it's a horrible gauge of ability but it doesn't change the fact that outside fans and media perceive it that way.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
When the B12 looks good/strong, it helps the perception of playing in our league with HS kids that live outside of the B12 footprint (which is most of the kids we recruit to ISU).

The only thing basic here is your ridiculous internet logic.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Pls reread the comments you were responding to...because you didn't really respond to either. Both mine and the other one referred to the fact that the better the Big 12 does, the better it is for ISU. You're projecting this requires some level cheerleadering.

As someone else points out, it doesn't matter if you do or do not support KU winning, their success or failure does reflect on the Big 12 and the perception of quality of play found in conference.