Liberty Bowl postgame thread

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
While things seem to be trending back in the right direction with this program, and it looks like we should have a winning team next year, I think we have learned with Campbell so far that his teams that have high expectations typically fall short. A winning season next year is far from a slam dunk, even with the favorable schedule. Can Campbell finally break the mold and meet or exceed expectations with next year's team? I really hope so. Time will tell.

Reactions: NWICY

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
With embarrassing losses to Ohio, Iowa, and Memphis in the non-conference. Pretty damn embarrassing the way the team played and was (not) prepared for those games, if you ask me.
Iowa loss wasn’t embarrassing. Ohio loss was largely due to key players playing football while having a stomach illness. Team didn’t perform well yesterday, but a mid level bowl game is pretty meaningless

• Dumb
Reactions: Walden4Prez

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The faking taking a knee before half was a bush league play. I think it should be banned. It is similiar to faking a slide by a runner. It happened few years ago in ACC title game. The runner faked a slide and kept on running. The NCAA banned it a few weeks later.
If the defensive lineman just played it like normal play. You would get uncessary roughness penalty. If indeed he takes knee. If you notice in the play the officials were in closer then normal.
I know in high school. The offensive player just says we are going to take a knee. We let defense know. Then ball is snapped and clock runs out.
Now should I just let it play out like a normal play? I am a hgh school referee. I haven't ever seen a fake in that situation. We might see it now.

Meh. If ISU ran that you’d be loving it.
I mostly agree with you on this however, the play yesterday was within the current rules, and smart by them.

My biggest beef: That play SHOULD have absolutely lit a massive fire in our hearts and pissed our entire staff and team off…. It didn’t. I actually thought them running that play might be the key to our comeback win.
We were hoodwinked on the play, no doubt. The play will be illustrated in coaching circles for some time. I guess legal it was, but Jaws makes a good point.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It's a REAL BUMMER that Iowa State didn't get to play Auburn in the Liberty Bowl yesterday.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
What bowl winning team from this year and last year do you think has helped their brand?
Yeah but no - I’m only interested in ISU’s brand.

Many bowl winners already have significant national recognition in football, while ISU is still working to establish such, and losing when heavily favored isn’t beneficial.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Many bowl winners already have significant national recognition in football, while ISU is still working to establish such, and losing when heavily favored isn’t beneficial.

If you're only interested in ISU's brand could that be a reason to maybe branch out to notice how insignificant yesterday's game was?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Saw it live right in front of me.

He said something and then turns back.

points and says something again.

View attachment 121417
Didn’t look like he was just “having fun” live and replay catches it at 3:03 3rd Q.
You may be right, especially as you were there? Anyway, it didn't seem that much.

IIRC, Scates left with good things to say about ISU, no grudge or anything. Most everything I've seen in this game, he was treated with respect by ISU, and he did the same to us. They are playing football, things can be said, his guy was down, etc.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Are we still 7-5 since this was an exhibition? I'm guessing Rocco's passing record doesn't count either?
Yes, the game officially counts. But in the grand scheme, it’s a mid level bowl game to end a season. It’s not like the NCAA basketball tournament. It’s a game thrown together with the purpose of the sponsor to make $$ and for the hosting town to attract tourist to make $$

So yes, while it actually counts in the stats and records, it’s really an exhibition game, which is why you will see players sit the game out

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw it live right in front of me.

He said something and then turns back.

points and says something again.

View attachment 121417
Didn’t look like he was just “having fun” live and replay catches it at 3:03 3rd Q.

Might just be talking **** to former teammates like they probably did in practice when they played together.

The fraternity runs deep.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Oh ya? Who, Misery or Arizona? Yep national brands.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Going out with a win would have been great but I'm in the column of being past it mattering to the future of the program or carrying momentum etc.

That said looking that sloppy was too bad. But I was over it by mid-2nd quarter. If they came back to win, great but they just idn't look very good.
Same. I stayed with it the whole game. We had some good moments, mostly from Rocco and the WR's (definitely not running game or defense).

We got into too big of a hole and couldn't make stops when we needed to.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He should stay with "bullsh!t programs go 7-6" or something like "I apologize for the product you saw on the field today. We did a piss poor job preparing". "We need to do better at recruiting and developing our players. Especially up front." You know, just be honest.

That’s a ****** thing to do with his coaches and players.

I’m not sure why you all think he finds yesterday acceptable unless he says it to the fans.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This is Cyclone FANATIC - feel free to found and operate Cyclone Whatev’s where you can commune with like-minded people! Of course I’m kidding, but people care and need a release to blow off steam without being lectured.
WhatEv !

Also just kidding, just so you know. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ICCYFAN

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Maryland's brand beat Auburn's brand in palindromatic fashion in a meaningless exhibition.....nobody watching. No young high school athletes, no future recruits. everything is awesome.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Does the Cyclone marching band have a brand? not a violent brand like other in-state bands I hope.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Maryland's brand beat Auburn's brand in palindromatic fashion in a meaningless exhibition.....nobody watching. No young high school athletes, no future recruits. everything is awesome.
You think recruits care about the outcome of a mid to low tier bowl game?

• Dumb
Reactions: Walden4Prez