Most Recent Lunardi Bracketology

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Yep. Win 6-7 home conference games and 1-3 road games and we are likely in. 7-11 conference record probably puts you in the 9-11 seed range depending on quality of wins and losses. 8-9 conference wins gets you a 6-9 seed. 10 conference wins and we are playing in Milwaukee in round 1.

I just booked my hotel for KC in March. I suggest everyone do the same now before the rest of Cyclone Nation catches on

I feel like having the "win 6-7 conference games mentality and we're in" relates pretty directly with Matt Campbells thoughts around winning 6 games and being bowl eligible. Screw that. I think this Iowa State team is playing for way more than just making the tournament. We are going to be a damn tough out all year long. We just absolutely shut down one of the best offenses in the country. Protect Hilton and our defense will travel.

• Disagree
Reactions: Peter and heitclone

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
I feel like having the "win 6-7 conference games mentality and we're in" relates pretty directly with Matt Campbells thoughts around winning 6 games and being bowl eligible. Screw that. I think this Iowa State team is playing for way more than just making the tournament. We are going to be a damn tough out all year long. We just absolutely shut down one of the best offenses in the country. Protect Hilton and our defense will travel.

Could you imagine we get to the tournament and our defense shows up regardless it seems every single day and we get hot like we did at New York watch out this group could be something extremely special.
Not saying it’s going to be an NCAA championship not saying it’s gonna be a final four but we have a pretty decent chance depending upon matchups that we could do some serious damage.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Yep. Win 6-7 home conference games and 1-3 road games and we are likely in. 7-11 conference record probably puts you in the 9-11 seed range depending on quality of wins and losses. 8-9 conference wins gets you a 6-9 seed. 10 conference wins and we are playing in Milwaukee in round 1.

I just booked my hotel for KC in March. I suggest everyone do the same now before the rest of Cyclone Nation catches on
Seven wins in the big 12 is like a worst case scenario. As far as I’m concerned we are a lock for the tourney, unless we completely collapse, which would surprise me.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
And no we do not need to root for Xavier or Memphis or especially Iowa. We will have plenty of quality wins in the big 12.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
We also need to start cheering for the likes of Xavier, Memphis, Creighton and... Iowa to not suck

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.

Xavier is our only Quad 1 win. Memphis has fallen to #64 in the NET. Creighton is #84. We aren't that far away from having 4 Quad 1 wins..

Iowa, Memphis and Creighton are less than 10 spots in the NET from being Quad 1 wins. If they all turn it around in some capacity.. We'd lead the nation in Quad 1 wins.

Also, getting a 5 seed or better this year would nearly guarantee us Milwaukee as a first weekend site... Crazy to even say that. But it's us and Wisconsin competing for that this year. Marquette is not eligible since they are hosting the site. KU usually fights for MidWest sites but they are closer to the Fort Worth Site. Purdue will go to Indianapolis and so will other Top B1G teams. This could really set up well if we can go at least .500 in league play and get our non-con wins into Q1

Our non-conferance strength of schedule isn't going to matter much. If we're 8-10 in the Big 12, we'll be in no doubt. If we're 7-11, we'll likely be in. Right now, every Big 12 team is in the Top 75, so a 7-11 record would be 7 Quad 1-2 wins. Maybe a couple teams drop down, so then we'd be looking at 5 quad 1-2 wins and 2 quad 3 wins at worst. Most likely no quad 3 losses either.

I will cheer for Xavier, Creighton. Memphis is stupid AAU so I won't be heartbroken if they suck. I will actively cheer against Iowa.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

4 of the first 6 Big 12 games are against top 15 KenPom teams. The other two are at OU (Final Four coach) and home against Texas (Top 5 telent).. Baylor and Tech home games won't have any students. We need Kalscheur and Hunter to start shooting a higher percentage before we can start prediciting multiple quad 1a wins

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Our non-conferance strength of schedule isn't going to matter much. If we're 8-10 in the Big 12, we'll be in no doubt. If we're 7-11, we'll likely be in. Right now, every Big 12 team is in the Top 75, so a 7-11 record would be 7 Quad 1-2 wins. Maybe a couple teams drop down, so then we'd be looking at 5 quad 1-2 wins and 2 quad 3 wins at worst. Most likely no quad 3 losses either.

I will cheer for Xavier, Creighton. Memphis is stupid AAU so I won't be heartbroken if they suck. I will actively cheer against Iowa.

The bottom of the Big Ten is bad. Rutgers lost at home to a 1-4 team. The top of the Big Ten is wildly inconsistent so far. Ohio State might be the most inconsistent team imaginable looking at their Duke win and some of the teams they barely beat.

Iowa is going to end up around .500 and a bubble team because the Big Ten just isn't the juggernaut the media wants it to be. Fran is .500 career in the conference and that's about where they'll be again.

Big 12 will be the strongest conference as it has been nearly every year for nearly a decade. Then ACC as it is usually the second toughest. Then SEC and Big Ten will be 3rd or 4th. Big East seems a little down compared to some years.

Pac is the eternal question mark. Last year they were incorrectly labeled as the 7th best conference but were the best or second best in the NCAA tourney depending on how much credit you give the Big 12 for having the champ.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Absolutely insane I walked into this season expecting nothing. Not even the NIT. Now I expect a tournament team and one that could be higher than a 7 seed. Still a lot of season left and the big 12 continues to never give a night off. Damn does it feel good to have basketball and Hilton magic back. Getting to the tournament would be monumental for recruiting and building momentum for the future.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I think we have beaten a group of bubble teams (although not sure Memphis is a bubble team anymore)

Creighton
Xavier
Iowa
Memphis

Descending order of likely to make tourney

Makes sense - We hoped we might find a way to get on the bubble this year. Done best we could do in the non-con by beating other bubbles. now we have to find, I think, 7 wins in the Big XII and all of sudden that doesn't look like a crazy ask.

Xavier is not a bubble team

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan92

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
For anyone looking at Bracket Matrix right now and raising an eyebrow at where they have us and how some still don't even have us in the field, please remember this hasn't updated since December 3rd.

As the season gets closer and closer to March, they update much more regularly on there. I would expect a nice boost for it's next update.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
4 of the first 6 Big 12 games are against top 15 KenPom teams. The other two are at OU (Final Four coach) and home against Texas (Top 5 telent).. Baylor and Tech home games won't have any students. We need Kalscheur and Hunter to start shooting a higher percentage before we can start prediciting multiple quad 1a wins

Texas game is without students too. Students only get six conference games at home this year

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The bottom of the Big Ten is bad. Rutgers lost at home to a 1-4 team. The top of the Big Ten is wildly inconsistent so far. Ohio State might be the most inconsistent team imaginable looking at their Duke win and some of the teams they barely beat.

Iowa is going to end up around .500 and a bubble team because the Big Ten just isn't the juggernaut the media wants it to be. Fran is .500 career in the conference and that's about where they'll be again.

Big 12 will be the strongest conference as it has been nearly every year for nearly a decade. Then ACC as it is usually the second toughest. Then SEC and Big Ten will be 3rd or 4th. Big East seems a little down compared to some years.

Pac is the eternal question mark. Last year they were incorrectly labeled as the 7th best conference but were the best or second best in the NCAA tourney depending on how much credit you give the Big 12 for having the champ.

Rutgers has had a rough start, but they were a .500 Big 10 team last year and didn't lose anyone. They'll be middle of the road this year too.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
What's to stop this team from winning the conference? Seriously? If we can continue to develop our offense, we should be right there at the end of the season. So far, we've completely destroyed the "good" teams on our schedule. No reason to think that trend stops when we hit conference play. 7-11 in the Big XII is a ******* joke.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Rutgers has had a rough start, but they were a .500 Big 10 team last year and didn't lose anyone. They'll be middle of the road this year too.

Think they'd be .500 in Big 12?

Middle and bottom of the league is soft compared to Big 12. It is every single year. It's why Big 12 always grades out as tougher conference. The original 10 teams would be a basketball conference on the level with the recent makeup of the Big 12. Maryland is solid but Penn St, Nebraska and Rutgers water down the basketball a lot.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Think they'd be .500 in Big 12?

Middle and bottom of the league is soft compared to Big 12. It is every single year. It's why Big 12 always grades out as tougher conference. The original 10 teams would be a basketball conference on the level with the recent makeup of the Big 12. Maryland is solid but Penn St, Nebraska and Rutgers water down the basketball a lot.

Oh, I'm not saying the Big 10 is better than the Big 12. I'd just say Rutgers in middle pack of Big 12. Nebraska, Penn State weigh it down and I'd put Maryland down there as well when its all said and done. I'd put Rutgers in a group with Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I went all in at ISU +5.5. Most confusing spread I’ve ever seen in my life.
I wish I was that smart, I bought 2 wins last night. I've been trained by my love for often disappointing teams! Hopefully I can make some bets on the guys and still make a couple bucks. They aren't going to be a surprise anymore.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron