No student tickets for the MBB Texas game

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think it's a stupid policy at all. If all games were included in the student season ticket, the season ticket price would be higher, and the students would be complaining about having to pay for games that they couldn't attend because they were away for break. And they would have a point.
There's no reason it should have to be higher necessarily. Our student season ticket prices are in line with what id expect for full season student basketball tickets, especially at a place with one of the longest droughts of post season play in all of the BCS conferences. Considering if youre under 30 you can snag sideline seats for $250 apeice, there's not much higher student season tickets could go.

The easy way to solve the demand issue is to do what some other schools do and have pick up periods for various groups of tickets. One period for start-break, one period for break games, and one period for conference games. Miss the pickup period your tickets get resold. Or just have all tickets except break games distributed at first, then break games distributed in early december.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
There's no reason it should have to be higher necessarily.

Even if the price was kept the same, if the student season ticket included break games, I am quite sure there would be complaints about students having to pay for games that they don't want to or can't attend because they are away from school. Far more than are complaining about missing the UT game.

The easy way to solve the demand issue is to do what some other schools do and have pick up periods for various groups of tickets. One period for start-break, one period for break games, and one period for conference games. Miss the pickup period your tickets get resold. Or just have all tickets except break games distributed at first, then break games distributed in early december.

It doesn't need to be that complicated. The present solution is simple and addresses the issue of students being gone for break. There is an occasional hiccup because a desireable conference game falls during the break period, but I would suggest giving the AD a chance to address that hiccup.

Last edited:

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
There is an occasional hiccup because a desireable conference game falls during the break period, but I would suggest giving the AD a chance to address that hiccup.

I'm not positive, but I would guess this will no longer be "occasional" with the new conference schedule. I would think with 18 conference games, we will see this problem at least every other year.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
And you would be wrong. Running the athletic department is the job of the AD, not holding the hands of crybaby students that have nothing better to do than whine.

Growing up in Ames in the 50's and witnessing the hanging of the head coach or University president in effigy as well as panty raids on the girl's dorms, it seems that this tragic ticket event won't come to previous epic preportions because most students will be at HOME and won't and don't care.

Whiners should grow a pair and buy a ticket.

Last edited:

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Its always been this way. When I was in college it worked the same way. We lived with it and so can you.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
There's no reason it should have to be higher necessarily. Our student season ticket prices are in line with what id expect for full season student basketball tickets, especially at a place with one of the longest droughts of post season play in all of the BCS conferences. Considering if youre under 30 you can snag sideline seats for $250 apeice, there's not much higher student season tickets could go.

Hard to do pickup periods when the tickets are on your ISUCard. Maybe you could sign in online and request them or something?

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
When was the last time student tickets were sold out in the middle of July? You never know what's going to happen. A **** load of students could come and support their basketball team. They might be gone for the other games, but Texas is a big game.

You know you are actually making the argument for this.

We have a product that there is actually a demand for, for the first time in a long time. Pollard has shown that he is always going to error on the side of making money, as he should.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Hell, it happened last season as the Nebraska @ Iowa State conference opener was played in Ames over break.

Iowa State played Nebraska at home the 2nd to last game of the season last year. The Big 12 opener was in Lincoln...

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
In the long run, this will all be a moot point, for most of the Cyclone faithful will be in Miami watching the Cyclones play in the Orange Bowl.

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
Tickets went on sale today. Lot's of great seats available in the student sections behind the baskets for about $18.00 ea after fees.