***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I look at Taillon as league average at best. He's really just a guy that's blocking our future.
I don't think of league average as a bad thing necessarily in this scenario. You're going to need to ease Horton/Brown into through next season with inning limits, so you're not going to bank on loads of innings there. Wicks still has to prove this year that he's capable of performing over a full year (never cracked 100IP in a year) and Assad seems destined to be a valueable swing man in long relief/spot staring.

So I think in 2025, a league average innings eater has value. If things get crowded and young guys do force the issue, he's probably a lot easier to shuffle of at next year's deadline or the following off season with only 1-1.5 years left. Just my opinon of course. Good issue to have if you've got a pile of starting pitching to figure out how to use.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
P
I don't think of league average as a bad thing necessarily in this scenario. You're going to need to ease Horton/Brown into through next season with inning limits, so you're not going to bank on loads of innings there. Wicks still has to prove this year that he's capable of performing over a full year (never cracked 100IP in a year) and Assad seems destined to be a valueable swing man in long relief/spot staring.

So I think in 2025, a league average innings eater has value. If things get crowded and young guys do force the issue, he's probably a lot easier to shuffle of at next year's deadline or the following off season with only 1-1.5 years left. Just my opinon of course. Good issue to have if you've got a pile of starting pitching to figure out how to use.
We'll just have to disagree. We can get better for far less. If we were to add a top of the rotation guy to pair with Steele and Imanga you should get premium results. Assad is like the best kept secret in BB. Wicks is every bit as good as Taillon. Then you have Horton one of the highest ranked starting pitching prospects in the league. Plus brown. That's 7 guys with far more upside then Taillon with 6 at a cheaper price.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Regarding the Taillon discussion earlier - I was optimistic on him after the end of last year. But bottom line, the contract itself has been atrocious. He was an automatic loss the first half last season and is injured during probably our toughest month of the season.

Unless he’s ace material when he’s back, if any team comes sniffing, I’d give him up for nothing and pocket that $17 so I can get even more next year.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Simply has to be a better option than Miles ******* Mastrobuoni

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Great win. Feels like we stole one.

Brown looked great. He’ll be nice in the pen but I’m starting to wonder if he’s going to force himself into the rotation

Need one of Happ, Swanson, Bellinger, or Morel to figure it out. Rookies cant be expected to carry entire road trips.

DavidR4isu

Nov 10, 2022
Listening to Pat and Ron in one ear and Boog and JD in the other.

Pat Hughes: Check swing. Did he go? Yes he did! Cubs win!

5 seconds later. Boog: Check swing. Did he go? Yes he did! Cubs win!

Great announcers think alike.

Reactions: HoustonClone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not that the standings matter yet but Cubs win and Reds, Pirates, and Brewers all lost too. Cards beat the A’s but I really don’t think they’ll be much of a factor in the race anyway

DavidR4isu

Nov 10, 2022
The question is: if Cuas hadn’t played poorly in his first 2 games (including the 9-8 game we lost with and 8-2 lead) would have Keegan Thompson been called up and would we have won tonight?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Good game. Nice to “steal” one tonight because Kyle is going to be throwing BP tomorrow. Michael Busch is on pace for a 60 homer season. While I don’t think he’ll hit that, when was the last time the Cubbies had a 40 homer guy?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The question is: if Cuas hadn’t played poorly in his first 2 games (including the 9-8 game we lost with and 8-2 lead) would have Keegan Thompson been called up and would we have won tonight?
Probably not. There were quite a few times we damn near gave away the game. But Keegan Thompson returning to his 2022 form is a more than welcome development.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Eventually, he had 5 innings scoreless over his last 3 appearances in Iowa. So he was going to get a shot.