****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Sort of, I believe Fred did discuss RS option with Garrett but ultimately decided not to. He fully realized year on would be a struggle with only 3 scholarship returners an the high level talent cheering on the bench. Garrett went on to star that year after 3 non descript years. In retrospect he would have won a lot more waiting a year but was able to get a short time in the NBA being the man on that team. It was the right choice at the time.

We have to remember there was a lot of question about how Fred's first crop of transfers would work out at ISU. Not to mention the expectation from a lot of people that Royce wouldn't stay at ISU for his sit out year due to his issues and play in Hilton. Obviously he proved the doubters wrong.

I think there is a lot of hindsight in that first paragraph and don't believe redshirting Diante was an option.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Sort of, I believe Fred did discuss RS option with Garrett but ultimately decided not to. He fully realized year on would be a struggle with only 3 scholarship returners an the high level talent cheering on the bench. Garrett went on to star that year after 3 non descript years. In retrospect he would have won a lot more waiting a year but was able to get a short time in the NBA being the man on that team. It was the right choice at the time.

We have to remember there was a lot of question about how Fred's first crop of transfers would work out at ISU. Not to mention the expectation from a lot of people that Royce wouldn't stay at ISU for his sit out year due to his issues and play in Hilton. Obviously he proved the doubters wrong.
I didn't think I need the "besides Year 1" qualifier

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
If Miller is actually taking the Indiana job do we try for McKinley Wright again? I realize there wouldnt be a huge amount of playing time available but he definitely seemed interested in coming here at one point.

Maybe things have changed but this is from CW back in August

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
If Miller is actually taking the Indiana job do we try for McKinley Wright again? I realize there wouldnt be a huge amount of playing time available but he definitely seemed interested in coming here at one point.
I think the staff really likes the two guards they're bringing in this class with Wigginton and McNeill. I'd be surprised if we brought it another freshman guard

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think he's going to be a very good college pg, but just based on needs I don't see it.

Could this be an Izzo-Morris situation? Imo as long as some of them can shoot you can't get enough good pgs so I wouldn't think it was wrong to try and get him (or any good high school guard that becomes available) but it makes more sense to go the transfer route.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think the staff really likes the two guards they're bringing in this class with Wigginton and McNeill. I'd be surprised if we brought it another freshman guard
Wright has already noted that he is upset with Miller leaving Dayton. As CW posted back in Aug the staff ended their recruitment and the staff focused on other PG's for this class once it was clear that Mckinnley was close to announcing his commitment (ISU was the front runner IMO). The staff went all in on Wigginton and it paid off. I doubt their stance has changes since then.
Wish him the best but I don't think Ames will be an option for him if he does decide to go somewhere other than Dayton.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Likely staying out on the west coast but held a KU offer. Is Washington going to have enough guys to field a team next year?

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Count the number of 12-15 ppg players. Not sure we have even 3. We might, but can't count on it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We seem to be pretty strong with our 2017 backcourt. Not sure why so many people think we need another guard. We need athleticism and length at post and wing. I thought that was captain obvious but I guess not.

We have some nice guards in Jackson, Weiler-Babb, Long, Wigginton and McNeil- but is there 2-3 stud 3 point shooter in the group? If the coaching staff can say yes, then we don't need another guard this spring. If they have doubts, then I think we go after a 6'3"-6-5" SG/SF.

• Agree
Reactions: CyberJJJ

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Someone commit please
cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Reactions: cyfan21

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We seem to be pretty strong with our 2017 backcourt. Not sure why so many people think we need another guard. We need athleticism and length at post and wing. I thought that was captain obvious but I guess not.

I agree completely. Right now we just don't have that long athletic gazelle type of player. There are teams like Oregon and South Carolina out there that seemingly have multiple long and athletic players, be nice to have one or two on our roster.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I agree completely. Right now we just don't have that long athletic gazelle type of player. There are teams like Oregon and South Carolina out there that seemingly have multiple long and athletic players, be nice to have one or two on our roster.
I think Lard is supposed to be that type of player. McNeill too at the guard position

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We need both, and right now we're banking on unknowns. It's a risk issue. If you don't have great ball-handlers and guard play (pg play specifically) it doesn't really matter about the wing and post imo

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron