SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This isn't hard to figure out. As far as scoring goes:

Morris is replaced by Wigginton. Likely lose 1-4 ppg
Mitrou-Long is replaced by Jackson. Likely lose 1-4 ppg
Thomas is replaced by ________. Need to replace 12 ppg
Burton is replaced by _________. Need to replace 14 ppg
Young is replaced by Young with increased usage. Likely gain 4-6 ppg.

Obviously this isn't a perfect formula as we could be better defensively, guys will have new roles, but you can get a sense of what we need to replace if we're going to get back to the tournament. Juiston would be a nice replacement for Burton. I'm hoping for a high-level grad transfer 2/3 that can get buckets, plain and simple. Then add the best available player from JUCO (maybe Edwards) or another grad transfer. I'm looking forward to next season, but it's hard to imagine a team losing that much production will be safely in the tournament.

Jackson will score more than anyone one this year's team. If he doesn't, it's because Wigginton is that damn good. I'm also not going to rule out McNeil contributing more than we thought. His game is pretty damn smooth.

The real problem comes with replacing Burton. I don't know where will will have any sort of mismatches.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lake to ASU from the looks of it. Not sure if this has been posted.
I feel good about this one. He got beat badly by the IHCC freshman from Spain. I remember watching that game and being concerned the staff thought he was better than at least Kasongo. It sounds like as time passed they viewed Kasongo as being at least Lake's equal. Let's hope that's a sign of Ray improving!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Jackson will score more than anyone one this year's team. If he doesn't, it's because Wigginton is that damn good. I'm also not going to rule out McNeil contributing more than we thought. His game is pretty damn smooth.

The real problem comes with replacing Burton. I don't know where will will have any sort of mismatches.
Optimistically minded, I agee. Sans Burton's unknown replacement, in some ways the raw material may be better at scoring and a more complete team. But youth and experience can lose close games at an unbalanced rate.

Unless Jackson gets overloaded with pg duties we've seen he can be a blow torch on offense. He'll thrive if we can run more. Babb has a lot more in him than we've seen and can really finish. Wigginton can get in the lane as good as any recruit we've had recently and we haven't had a wing like Lewis for years. And hell, sometimes I think McNeil could end up the best of the bunch.

Lard, Young, and Kasongo should at least hold things down on the defensive and rebounding side better than most of our past 6 teams (and Young can shoot imo).

This is BEFORE adding potentially four guys. You're right though, who is that alpha mismatch and do we have any in the frontcourt like we've enjoyed for 6 years? Our best team had three or four mismatches.

Juiston is thus far the best candidate to fill that role, but also bringing a lot more than offense. I'm not sure he's as big of mismatch as the past ones, but with his handle and passing I'd love to add a big that can shoot. Kanter would be an insane get if he withdraws from the draft, but maybe a guy like the forward from Princeton could help?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I feel good about this one. He got beat badly by the IHCC freshman from Spain. I remember watching that game and being concerned the staff thought he was better than at least Kasongo. It sounds like as time passed they viewed Kasongo as being at least Lake's equal. Let's hope that's a sign of Ray improving!

Plus the staff moves on when it becomes apparent they have a better shot with higher level targets rather than take lesser commitments. Similar case to McKinley Wright. The staff distanced them selves from him and was able to land McNeil and Wigginton shortly after filling their young guard goal for 2017.
My hope is the like there chances with Juiston and decided to focus their attention on gaining his commitment rather than risk Lake committing and filling the one open JC post position. I do think Kosongo get's a bad wrap on this board at time just due to a lack of leaked buzz, I'd rather see him in Hilton before writing him off.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Plus the staff moves on when it becomes apparent they have a better shot with higher level targets rather than take lesser commitments. Similar case to McKinley Wright. The staff distanced them selves from him and was able to land McNeil and Wigginton shortly after filling their young guard goal for 2017.
My hope is the like there chances with Juiston and decided to focus their attention on gaining his commitment rather than risk Lake committing and filling the one open JC post position. I do think Kosongo get's a bad wrap on this board at time just due to a lack of leaked buzz, I'd rather see him in Hilton before writing him off.
Let's hope that the good feeling turns out to be accurate.

This guy had a lot of interest. Even Self watched him. You really can be slight on the basketball skills and still get a ton of looks if you're Athletic 6'10" and it's spring.

At least Prohm is less likely to "Edozie" Kasongo. If he's as good as Edozie he'll have a chance to help.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Let's hope that the good feeling turns out to be accurate.

This guy had a lot of interest. Even Self watched him. You really can be slight on the basketball skills and still get a ton of looks if you're Athletic 6'10" and it's spring.

At least Prohm is less likely to "Edozie" Kasongo. If he's as good as Edozie he'll have a chance to help.
In regards to Kasongo, it sounds like the athleticism is definitely there, but some other aspects of the game are lacking.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Was it ever determined if that IHCC freshman was a qualifier before juco & whether he would be a 2017 or 2018 recruit?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Me too. He's got a lot of things going for him. Opportunity, college ready body, lots of experience against great talent, and coach Prohm who has made things work with freshman guards in the past.

He's fast
He's strong
He can get to the rim
He can shoot

If the intangibles fall in place we've really got something.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Why not both? (assuming multiple scholarships available for 2018)

We will only have 3 scholarships so it will likely be a small class. It sounds like they want a true PG, a SG and a F, so unless we have further attrition and have to replace a big man, I would guess they will only get one.

tobya8

Mar 21, 2014
Why is everyone forgetting about Jacoby Long?? Top 100 player that actually plays defense! I hope he gets his chance to shine!(and he hasn't left so thats a good sign!) Go Jacoby!!!

• Winner
Reactions: srjclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron