*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’m just not sure Prohm thought this team was going to fit together, you got no point guard, no shooters, yet he wants to play 4 guards

Yea, its just a poorly constructed roster of fundamentally unsound players. We are a guard heavy roster, but most of our perimeter players have limited basketball skills. Guys like Jackson, Harris and Johnson have inferior dribbling skills for perimeter players. Include Bolton and Walker and that group of five guys make some really bad passing decisions and panic when the opponents defense makes them uncomfortable.

Combine that with poor shooters with no concept of a high % shot and an offense that doesn't put 2-3 players in position to get offensive rebounds and its no wonder we didn't win a Big 12 game this season and are 18-54 in the Big 12 the last 4 years. Additionally, we are 5-38 in road games over the last 4 years. With all 5 road wins coming in 2018/19 season.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Too small, low basketball IQ. But he'll probably be on the roster next year. So, you'll probably get your wish.
He's being forced to do too much. He's a role player, just like the majority, if not entirety of our roster. Imagine him in a role where he comes off the bench after the under 15 in both halves and just comes in to shoot and be annoying to the opposition for 5 min at a time. That's how he should be used imo

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
On another note, since Delaware State won today, we are now only one of two teams nationwide to not win a conference game this season (the portland pilots are the other)

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It was always an excuse for the terrible coaching and losing. “Yea, he finished last in the Big 12, but he’s a nice guy!”

Complete bull ****.

Even if it was true, it's a horrible excuse. Charlie Strong was beloved by every Texas fan out there (character-wise), and they still kicked his butt to the curb after 3 seasons.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I am tired of the "nice guy" and he fits the ISU way. The Pope is a nice guy and I sure don't want him as a coach. Prohm is 28-63, and 7-47 in conference over the last 3 years!

It doesn't change anything, but we're 14-40 in conference the last 3 years. Maybe I'm not understanding your post because your numbers don't match our records.

23-12 (9-9)
12-20 (5-13)
2-21 (0-18)

socalcy

Jun 1, 2015
I understand other posters using dark humor as a coping mechanism, but man, as a lifelong fan who grew up going to Hilton Coliseum to watch my beloved Cyclones play as part of my childhood, this really, really f*cking sucks to be this bad. Almost brings me to tears, to be honest.
It’s crushing - so f*cking sad

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I'm not sure if these stats have been mentioned before. It just caught my eyes that in this season, ISU has never scored over 80 pts in a game (80 was the season high in their first game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff). I've checked the ISU scoring history in the past 70 years. The last time an ISU MBB team failed to score over 80 pts in any game was in the 1953-1954 season.

Also, this season's scoring average is 65.3 pts/game, which is the lowest since the 2008-2009 season.

This doesn't look pretty. :(

Last edited: