*Official signees stats thread*

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Long will benefit from not having the same coach as SDW in this regard.

That said, Long has a rep of being a good Big 12 defender? Imo we don't know if he'll be able to defend Big 12 guards, let alone be apt in team defense

Of course not. He had a reputation as a good defender in high school. Obviously doesn't always translate to college or the Big 12 level, but a guy who is willing to play hard on defense will almost always have a leg up on someone who isn't.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Of course not. He had a reputation as a good defender in high school. Obviously doesn't always translate to college or the Big 12 level, but a guy who is willing to play hard on defense will almost always have a leg up on someone who isn't.
Like you said, things don't always translate to the Big 12. I'm hoping he makes a big jump in the offseason, but what are you basing his playing hard on defense other than high school? Imo he has no rep on defense one way or another, but if what you say is true about there a being time available for a young guy that plays good defense, he'll need a great offseason.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Like you said, things don't always translate to the Big 12. I'm hoping he makes a big jump in the offseason, but what are you basing his playing hard on defense other than high school? Imo he has no rep on defense one way or another, but if what you say is true about there a being time available for a young guy that plays good defense, he'll need a great offseason.

How do you know how well prepared he is now? We have five high quality guards in front of him (6 if you count Burton). He could be a heck of a player for a freshman right now and he wouldn't see the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I was looking for some clarification, but couldn't find any. But I could have sworn he made the trip this offseason, or to Hilton Madness or something.

Ps. - also love that Yetna's twitter is basically all in French. that is all.

Thanks for checking. I haven't seen anything.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
How do you know how well prepared he is now? We have five high quality guards in front of him (6 if you count Burton). He could be a heck of a player for a freshman right now and he wouldn't see the floor.
Who knows, right. He's probably just a really nice guy and is holding back as to not limit the seniors playing time.

Recall you're the one alluding to knowing his effort and defense. You don't know that. When a recruit of his level has yet to play, burden of proof is on your side of the discussion. I like our guys, but a good Big 12 guard would have seen at least a little time. We have no issue going small.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Who knows, right. He's probably just a really nice guy and is holding back as to not limit the seniors playing time.

Recall you're the one alluding to knowing his effort and defense. You don't know that. When a recruit of his level has yet to play, burden of proof is on your side of the discussion. I like our guys, but a good Big 12 guard would have seen at least a little time. We have no issue going small.

This is just not true. They have Morris, Jackson, Naz, and Thomas who he was never going to play over. Babb is essentially a Junior. Unless he was a high four star or 5 star he wasn't coming in here and playing. No one knows how good he can be but him not playing doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good player.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This is just not true. They have Morris, Jackson, Naz, and Thomas who he was never going to play over. Babb is essentially a Junior. Unless he was a high four star or 5 star he wasn't coming in here and playing. No one knows how good he can be but him not playing doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good player.
I'm high on Jackson and Babb, but they're not superior to all but high four and five stars. Besides I'm not contending anything about Long other than the burden of proof is on those alluding to knowing something about Long as a Big 12 player. I'd also object to anyone suggesting we know he will never play, but it's the more logical default position.

It's certainly plausible Long makes a Naz jump. Is it likely? Not imo

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm high on Jackson and Babb, but they're not superior to all but high four and five stars. Besides I'm not contending anything about Long other than the burden of proof is on those alluding to knowing something about Long as a Big 12 player. I'd also object to anyone suggesting we know he will never play, but it's the more logical default position.

FR Naz played half as much as walk-on JR Bubu. I don't think you could make the argument either way on Long, just too much in front of him.

Naz had less in front of him actually and still averaged less than a minute per game in B12 play.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Just to clarify my comment on Long comparing him to SDW. I don't mean that I think he won't ever play, or that he is a bad player or anything. It just seems like maybe he's not good at one thing and more decent at everything. It might be hard for him to find the court because we are bringing in some other good recruits on top of him. Obviously they might not pan out too, but it just seems kinda similar.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
FR Naz played half as much as walk-on JR Bubu. I don't think you could make the argument either way on Long, just too much in front of him.

Naz had less in front of him actually and still averaged less than a minute per game in B12 play.
Naz had two issues his first year that led to his limited playing time. One was his low shooting percentage - less than 35%. The bigger issue was that he was playing out of position. He was asked to fill the roll of a back-up PG, but Bubu proved to have better PG skills.

During the offseason he worked on his shot and significantly improved both his overall and three point shooting percentages to the level that he could contribute as a SG.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Naz had two issues his first year that led to his limited playing time. One was his low shooting percentage - less than 35%. The bigger issue was that he was playing out of position. He was asked to fill the roll of a back-up PG, but Bubu proved to have better PG skills.

During the offseason he worked on his shot and significantly improved both his overall and three point shooting percentages to the level that he could contribute as a SG.

It also helped that we lost Babb, Lucious, Clyburn, McGee, and Bubu, all 5 that were in front of him, for his SO season.

Another similarity to Long's current situation losing Matt, Naz, Monte, Burton.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Long reminds me exactly of Sherron Dorsey Walker. Decently high rated out of high school, but might have trouble ever finding minutes.

This is a ridiculous comparison. SDW looked lost whenever he got in the game as a freshman. The times when Long has gotten in games this year, I thought he looked good and competed very well. In the short minutes he's played, his defense was better than anything SDW ever did and he didn't jack up wild ass shots like I saw SDW do as a frosh. We have a lineup of 4 starting guards (if you count Burton as a guard, which I do, because despite his build, that's what he is ... a very big, good rebounding guard) and two of the first guys off the bench are also guards, NW-B and DJ. So we have people fretting that a freshman guard can't crack a lineup that has basically 6 guards in the rotation. Unbelievable.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
This is a ridiculous comparison. SDW looked lost whenever he got in the game as a freshman. The times when Long has gotten in games this year, I thought he looked good and competed very well. In the short minutes he's played, his defense was better than anything SDW ever did and he didn't jack up wild ass shots like I saw SDW do as a frosh. We have a lineup of 4 starting guards (if you count Burton as a guard, which I do, because despite his build, that's what he is ... a very big, good rebounding guard) and two of the first guys off the bench are also guards, NW-B and DJ. So we have people fretting that a freshman guard can't crack a lineup that has basically 6 guards in the rotation. Unbelievable.
I hope you are Bipolar, and this is just your bad half. You are comparing garbage time shots with garbage time shots lol. Take a hike.

Oh and look at the post 3 above yours.

• Dislike
Reactions: isutrevman

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Bubu was pretty good and would be seeing time this year and you're still pointing to an outlier in Naz as your proof. Like I said, plausible he makes a similar jump, but not likely.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

But you have no reason to say it is likely or not likely. So basically your opinion is based on nothing but conjecture.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I hope you are Bipolar, and this is just your bad half. You are comparing garbage time shots with garbage time shots lol. Take a hike.

Oh, OK, dimple weed, you're the one who started the comparison between the two and, in the case of Long, we only have "garbage time" to make that comparison. I said it was a ridiculous comparison to begin with, so you're the one who needs to take the hike.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just to clarify my comment on Long comparing him to SDW. I don't mean that I think he won't ever play, or that he is a bad player or anything. It just seems like maybe he's not good at one thing and more decent at everything. It might be hard for him to find the court because we are bringing in some other good recruits on top of him. Obviously they might not pan out too, but it just seems kinda similar.

I actually agree with this. I think it's more likely he turns out to be SDW than him turning out to be Naz. Hope I'm wrong