NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
He's certainly been the forgotten man. It's been since Long's sophomore year that we had a significant positive surprise. Maybe McNeil or J. Long will be major contributors
Long reminds me exactly of Sherron Dorsey Walker. Decently high rated out of high school, but might have trouble ever finding minutes.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Long reminds me exactly of Sherron Dorsey Walker. Decently high rated out of high school, but might have trouble ever finding minutes.
Long and McNeill will be battling for a spot. Next year we'll need a pure shooter more than anything else, We'll have the 1 and 3 covered.

If you take DJ or LW out, the other would be at the 1 and we need a shooter at the 2. I don't see others on the roster that could fill that role at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: BBHMagic

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
When would Yetna have to sign by? I guess I am not aware of when the final date is for the 2017 class.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
When would Yetna have to sign by? I guess I am not aware of when the final date is for the 2017 class.
Doesn't have to sign til he's ready to enroll in classes fall semester I don't think.

EDIT: Division I: May 17, 2017

After that, it's not an NLI anymore. He could still decide after that date and get a full ride, like Simeon Carter who didn't commit til 8/6.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/
http://247sports.com/Player/Simeon-Carter-78150?Institution=17197

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Never underestimate the playing time you can get by simply playing hard and playing defense as a young guy. That's his reputation, and it's a lot easier to adapt that way than if your game is only throwing up shots.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Never underestimate the playing time you can get by simply playing hard and playing defense as a young guy. That's his reputation, and it's a lot easier to adapt that way than if your game is only throwing up shots.

Probably true. Just curious, have we ever had a player that got absolutely no playing time in Big12 action as a freshmen, yet go on to be a contributor the next year or two?? I thought even Naz played some Big12 minutes his freshmen year, but I could be wrong.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Probably true. Just curious, have we ever had a player that got absolutely no playing time in Big12 action as a freshmen, yet go on to be a contributor the next year or two?? I thought even Naz played some Big12 minutes his freshmen year, but I could be wrong.

Back in the day, no doubt. It seems that kids (and coaches to an extent) have less patience these days. I don't think Naz got a lot (maybe 5-10 avg), but I can't remember. I'll try to look it up. The other factor is that JL has been behind 5 high level guards. It's not like we're throwing out a bunch of bad players in front of him. All five have been extremely solid, so I'd attribute his lack of playing time more to that than to any shortcoming of his own.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Naz played in 4 games (3-4 min), all of which were decided by 17+ points. Can't compare when every games a game this year.

Edit: My bad, didn't scroll up far enough to see the 3 games he played 0, 1 and 2 min.

He also got 2 min in our drubbing of Notre Dame, fun memory.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Naz played in 4 games (3-4 min), all of which were decided by 17+ points. Can't compare when every games a game this year.

Edit: My bad, didn't scroll up far enough to see the 3 games he played 0, 1 and 2 min.

He also got 2 min in our drubbing of Notre Dame, fun memory.

Knowing Naz, he is relaying that very scenario to our young guys as to how much you have to hang in there and obviously WORK on your game. Of course, its hard to know if some will have the upside to reach.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Long will benefit from not having the same coach as SDW in this regard.

That said, Long has a rep of being a good Big 12 defender? Imo we don't know if he'll be able to defend Big 12 guards, let alone be apt in team defense