Pollard and Tuesday Announcement

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would bet he changes his mind on this at some point.

It won't happen unless TOE makes the move first and here's why,

1.) He isn't going to cheapen the suite/club section experience.
2.) He isn't done altering Jack Trice Stadium and will want to maintain leverage for addition suites/club areas. Between the north end zone and an eventual new press bx/suite area JTS still has a ton of potential.

Alcohol or no alcohol sales JP needs to terminate the reentry halftime policy. The number of empty seats to start the second half is pretty embarrassing.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It won't happen unless TOE makes the move first and here's why,

1.) He isn't going to cheapen the suite/club section experience.
2.) He isn't done altering Jack Trice Stadium and will want to maintain leverage for addition suites/club areas. Between the north end zone and an eventual new press bx/suite area JTS still has a ton of potential.

Alcohol or no alcohol sales JP needs to terminate the reentry halftime policy. The number of empty seats to start the second half is pretty embarrassing.

Yeah, I know Iowa has said the same thing about beer sales. I am guess it will take the damn to break across college football and then both schools will change their mind. Right now it seems like just a few schools each year ad it but I am betting that within the next ten years there is a big change in that department all across college football.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Say it averages out to 1/3 of the stadium buy a beer at $8 a pop = 8*20,000=$160,000 per game. Over a course of a season with seven home games that 1.12 million

They always say with their expenses they never take home much of that

• Agree
Reactions: Jmarsh13

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Yeah, I know Iowa has said the same thing about beer sales. I am guess it will take the damn to break across college football and then both schools will change their mind. Right now it seems like just a few schools each year ad it but I am betting that within the next ten years there is a big change in that department all across college football.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...eneral-public-ncaa-iowa-state-iowa/525770002/

From the register earlier this year. They have another with an interactive map. about half of the stadiums currently serve beer. Both Barta and Pollard have been pretty openly against it. I think Barta was quoted in this one saying that his tipping point on changing his mind is if Iowa was the last university out there still not serving beer.

I for one am for it. The industry is moving that way to keep people coming to the stadiums vs staying at home. Keep them coming back INTO the stadiums vs leaving at half time, etc.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Say it averages out to 1/3 of the stadium buy a beer at $8 a pop = 8*20,000=$160,000 per game. Over a course of a season with seven home games that 1.12 million

It's $6 a beer but in the SEZ I see just as many liquor drinks being consumed as I see beers. I think those are $7 a drink, maybe $8.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That's disingenuous at best.

I think you could easily cut your number of beers sold in half. They aren't selling 20,000 additional beers as luxury seating already has access to it. Students aren't buying many beers at $8. I really doubt we even have the infrastructure to support that many beers sold.

At least half of the revenue is going back to the concession provider. Another chunk is covering your liability insurance. Another chunk is conversion cost (the people who flip from Coke to beer).

This isn't just a quick and simple calculation. If there really was as much money as people think there is everyone would jump on the bandwagon without thinking twice.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Yeah, thats not exactly how it works.

http://www.camy.org/_docs/newsroom/in-the-news/PDFs-In the News/05 11 18 Big 12 schools tapping the beer market.pdf

20,000 beers is awfully optimistic, imo, but here's a rough real break down.

$6/beer @ 20,000 beers = $120,000
Assume ISU gets roughly 50% of that, that's around $420,000 net for 7 games, $360,000 for a normal year.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That's disingenuous at best.

I think you could easily cut your number of beers sold in half. They aren't selling 20,000 additional beers as luxury seating already has access to it. Students aren't buying many beers at $8. I really doubt we even have the infrastructure to support that many beers sold.

At least half of the revenue is going back to the concession provider. Another chunk is covering your liability insurance. Another chunk is conversion cost (the people who flip from Coke to beer).

This isn't just a quick and simple calculation. If there really was as much money as people think there is everyone would jump on the bandwagon without thinking twice.

Yep. Most figures I've seen from other schools that sell alcohol put the net revenue at somewhere in the $300-500K range. A nice bump but not some overwhelming number. Nor do I know 1) if that includes alcohol sales for all events (like basketball) or just football and 2) the effect that has on concession sales, ticket sales, etc.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If selling alcohol generates a few hundred thousand dollars, so be it.

Have you met most Iowa State fans?

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Given how slow our concession situation is already, I can't imagine beer sales would improve that situation. And that slowness is the biggest reason the stands ae half empty to start the second half, not the reentry policy .

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy