Pollard and Tuesday Announcement

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
What a colossal disappointment if this is the announcement... All 7 NBA fans in the area get to see the backups play. If Giannis Antetokounmpo plays then maybe it'll be fun for like 5 minutes
Agreed.

It's not like we could establish a few informal ties to NBA franchises. Even if we got some positive commentary from media interviews and publicity involving both professional players and coaches likely discussing the set-up, passion of fans, and facilities- It surely wouldn't impress recruits. A guest coach appearance at a practice would be pointless too.

Give me the ability to buy an $8 Bud light instead.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
We are the one that hype it up. They simply say they have an announcements. It’s on you if you think it is a big deal.
JP hyped it up by sending that tweet - knowing full well Cyclone fans would eat it up. I get hyping up things like south endzone funding... but we don't need a "Special Announcement Tomorrow" release for everything news item that comes out of the AD.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Dlfa1EpUUAAZA52.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Will be worse once the slopes open.[/QUOTE]

Only if they start playing basketball at the new football stadium. Last home game is 11/17 and the snow will likely be horrible. A few resorts open that weekend, but most open after.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
They way CSU looks this year, I expect beer drinking to be way up at the games.

Here is a picture at the CSU game in the second half last Saturday night (beautiful night BTW). I can only assume everyone was in line to get beer?
Dlfa1EpUUAAZA52.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This picture was taken after Hawaii opened a 30 point lead on Colorado State. My guess is that JTS would look a lot like this if a team like Hawaii came in and put that kind of beating on us. I can't believe there's an argument when it comes to beer sales and the related ability to get and retain people in the stadium. There are arguments against it to be sure, but not when it comes to butts in seats the entire game.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Ha, you're right. I mistakenly thought that tweet came from JP.

Either way, the AD announced an announcement per Tommy.

And it was an announcement. It’s not JPs fault you didn’t like it.

I suspect that they kind of have to make a big deal out of these things. Midamerican isn’t going to fork over money without JP telling them how great they are. And the wolves aren’t going to either.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
JP hyped it up by sending that tweet - knowing full well Cyclone fans would eat it up. I get hyping up things like south endzone funding... but we don't need a "Special Announcement Tomorrow" release for everything news item that comes out of the AD.

It's also possible that in both the MidAmerican sponsorship and the NBA preseason game, that a press conference was part of the deal. In which case Pollard did media a solid by tacking both announcements on to existing press conferences.

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. Gotta generates some excitement around this stuff. Not everything is going to resonate with everyone.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Will be worse once the slopes open.[/QUOTE]

Only if they start playing basketball at the new football stadium. Last home game is 11/17 and the snow will likely be horrible. A few resorts open that weekend, but most open after.[/QUOTE]

A-basin is often open by the end of October.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Went to a preseason nuggets game a while back in Denver for work. Got free tickets to sit in a box with free beer and it still wasn’t worth it

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
It's super cool to have the opportunity to host NBA teams in Hilton. The Athletic Department needs to cool it with these hyped up press conferences, though.

Uh...when was the last time an NBA team played in Hilton? In Iowa? It is a big announcement, preseason or not. I don't get why people are bashing this? I'm not even an NBA fan, but to poopoo this ...I don't get it. I mean if you're a butthurt Iowa fan i get it, but not for an ISU fan.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

How is this not a special announcement? Have I missed the preseason NFL and NBA games every other year? Should they NOT announce or advertise this?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Here is a picture at the CSU game in the second half last Saturday night (beautiful night BTW). I can only assume everyone was in line to get beer?
Dlfa1EpUUAAZA52.jpg

This picture was taken after Hawaii opened a 30 point lead on Colorado State. My guess is that JTS would look a lot like this if a team like Hawaii came in and put that kind of beating on us. I can't believe there's an argument when it comes to beer sales and the related ability to get and retain people in the stadium. There are arguments against it to be sure, but not when it comes to butts in seats the entire game.[/QUOTE]

Wow. They built that nice new stadium and their team is awful? Good luck paying for that stadium when the place is empty.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Will be worse once the slopes open.

Only if they start playing basketball at the new football stadium. Last home game is 11/17 and the snow will likely be horrible. A few resorts open that weekend, but most open after.[/QUOTE]

A-basin is often open by the end of October.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, and it should be this year, but the couple places that are open in early November don't have enough decent snow to reasonably impact college football in November.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Only if they start playing basketball at the new football stadium. Last home game is 11/17 and the snow will likely be horrible. A few resorts open that weekend, but most open after.

A-basin is often open by the end of October.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, and it should be this year, but the couple places that are open in early November don't have enough decent snow to reasonably impact college football in November.[/QUOTE]

When I lived there, there was a clear drop off after the first hill opened. More so in Boulder than FoCo, but still noticeable. Maybe it has changed. Whatever, doesn’t affect me anymore.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron