Tang gonna Tang

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I think CF should charter a bus down there with Cyclone Jim Carrey and the T guy and ride Tang's ass that whole game.

View attachment 125018

I just got my tickets this morning. Had planned to spend the weekend in Tulsa with two youngest boys for the B12 wrestling, but after the game in Ames I've grown an admittedly almost bizarre level of enjoyment in watching Tang fail so we are making a detour to Manhattan.

I keep hearing how much motivated KSU will be on Saturday and how we are walking into a hornets nest. A few things:

1. After what happened during/after the last game, I have no doubt our coaching staff and players will be extra motivated.
2. Spring break for KSU is next week. Will their students stick around for this game, especially after getting destroyed by their biggest rival?
3. Even if it wasn't spring break, has some apathy crept in to their program?

I'm more worried about tonight then I am Saturday. KSU sucks.

There is a difference between wanting to make your facility a hornets nest and being capable of making it hornets nest. My only worry with the KSU game is our own struggles lately and are our legs going to be tired. If we play our A game

It is spring break. No idea what they typically get for students for that game. I'd guess some but less. Overall there are starting to be a lot of tickets pop up. I've been watching for a while and there wasn't much available. (probably a typical situation where people don't worry about listing tickets until shortly before). I was hoping to hold out until there was some seats behind the KSU bench, but ended up pulling the trigger today since those seats are probably unlikely to pop up and didn't want to pass up on the ones that came available.

They could be really talented next year with a couple transfers of big men. I think Perry can come back. Kaluma and Carter are both juniors.

But I could also see some players transferring out. And regardless of the talent on the roster, they will again be charmin soft mentally and the Big 12 will be equally as tough next year.

In today's day and age you don't have a season like they did and miss the tournament without some significant attrition.

I know TJ won't do it because he has way too much Class. But i wouldn't shake his hand in the pregame or the post game.

Whoever is going to Manhattan, PLEASE have a T-shirt that has Huddle Recorder or something on it!

I was going to get custom t shirts that said something like "ISU huddle surveillance staff" but got lazy and just went with the Ray Gun "I was there when Jerome Tang fought Jim Carrey" shirts.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
One comment related to the liking Self comments. Self is an amazing coach, in the conversation for best ever. He's also a classy guy and seems to have strong respect for ISU.

The rub I think most people have is the past recruiting violations and pushing the boundaries pre NIL. It's pretty hard to really dislike him for that when probably everyone was pushing those same boundaries. We all love Fred but he had Matt Abdelmassih on his staff. Not liking Self because he played that game better than everyone else is tough. It's like loving Sammy Sosa but being a Barry Bonds hater because he was juicing.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

RollClones14

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2018
It is spring break. No idea what they typically get for students for that game. I'd guess some but less.
I think it will be a pretty poor student showing after their blowout loss and the first day of spring break. Students get on the road/out of town as soon as possible for spring break, more than other holiday breaks.

If we can get an early lead in that game, we could really suck the energy out of the place.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Bought my tickets to the game on Saturday. Wish I was near the KSU bench but that would have ended in me kicked out most likely.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cyclonepride

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
1) If KSU players don't put forth effort against their in state rival, that speaks volume of what the players think of Tang
2) It's the coach's job to ensure their players are playing with effort. That all happens before the game starts. No effort means players don't want to play for each other
3) Good job, Tang. You can't blame yourself for your coaching inadequacies and instead blame your own players. Don't let the door kick you on the way out
At this point, I hope he stays. It's pretty obvious he's not a coach that can take them anywhere close to his first year there. With him there, kstate is middle of the pack in the Big 12, or less (we'll see).

Besides, it give us another team to really hate on. Not that that's good or anything. :D

• Agree
Reactions: rosshm16 and Cyhig

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Meanwhile TJ and Self quite often spend 5ish minutes talking and laughing before every game we have with KU. It really bothers me how much I like Bill Self most of the time.
Kansas must be destroyed. Self would be friendly fire.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
One comment related to the liking Self comments. Self is an amazing coach, in the conversation for best ever. He's also a classy guy and seems to have strong respect for ISU.

The rub I think most people have is the past recruiting violations and pushing the boundaries pre NIL. It's pretty hard to really dislike him for that when probably everyone was pushing those same boundaries. We all love Fred but he had Matt Abdelmassih on his staff. Not liking Self because he played that game better than everyone else is tough. It's like loving Sammy Sosa but being a Barry Bonds hater because he was juicing.
I think what we were mostly mad about was that they got away with things.

Addidas paying your players? FBI investigation? No problem! Which wrist would you like us to slap?

Reactions: Cyientist

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I keep hearing how much motivated KSU will be on Saturday and how we are walking into a hornets nest. A few things:

1. After what happened during/after the last game, I have no doubt our coaching staff and players will be extra motivated.
2. Spring break for KSU is next week. Will their students stick around for this game, especially after getting destroyed by their biggest rival?
3. Even if it wasn't spring break, has some apathy crept in to their program?

I'm more worried about tonight then I am Saturday. KSU sucks.
TJ and the staff were not amused about the Tang shenanigans. The staff will have this team's full attention for that game. Someone accusing your program of cheating is equivalent of calling you a coward in your face.

Hubbs4cy

Oct 10, 2023
I think it will be a pretty poor student showing after their blowout loss and the first day of spring break. Students get on the road/out of town as soon as possible for spring break, more than other holiday breaks.

If we can get an early lead in that game, we could really suck the energy out of the place.
I think a decent amount stick around for this weekend. If I remember correctly they celebrate some fake St Patty's day thing that first Saturday of spring break. So if we can start hot, the whole student section will leave mid game to go drink instead.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What crazy alternate universe am I in where CF is in a love fest over Self? Frankly I'm confused and disgusted but mainly disgusted.

99.9% of my issues with KU are refs and arrogant fans. Self handles himself and his players with class compared to Roy.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So Tang’s religious hypocrite rules…

1. Fans using a curse word is wrong
2. His assistant calling random students “mother f’ers” is great
3. Always skip the handshake line when you lose
4. Have a handshake line when you win

What a prince.

Reactions: rosshm16

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
99.9% of my issues with KU are refs and arrogant fans. Self handles himself and his players with class compared to Roy.
Bit off topic, but ISU's last run-in with Roy was the 2014 game to advance to the sweet 16. This is the game where Kane made a shot to go up by 2 with a couple seconds to play. UNC inbounded the ball, but the clock didn't start right away. UNC called timeout, but officials eventually ruled time had run out before the timeout was called.

When the refs were explaining the ruling to both coaches, I expected Roy to go yell and complain like he normally would do to the refs. Instead, he nodded, looked at Hoiberg, and shook his hand.

I never liked Roy for his temperament, but he at least handled that situation with class. And it's hard to believe that was 10 years ago

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Both of those have moved well past my dislike for Self. As a matter of fact Self has been moving up, but those 2 have rocketed to the top of my dislike list. And its not even about rivalry and game play, its how they act.

This is precisely why Self is getting less dislike from me all the time. Even though its a tough rivalry and tough win, I really only disliked his smirks, and he seems to be more respectful and classy towards our Staff and players all the time.

I used to always think of KSU as a "friendly rivalry". But, over the last few years that has changed, it has become a very hated rivalry, some of which has been cause by their idiot fans online and their fanboy reporters like Kurtz. Kansas has kind of switched places with them on my list of rivalries, in all sports.

I know people around KC say the KU fans are awful, but I just have never seen it. And online they are not even close to as bad as KSU fans.
Kansas State must be destroyed.

I can dig it. :D

Reactions: 2speedy1

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I really hope TJ is able to put all the walk-ons in at the end of the game Saturday, like Self did here.
Can one of our student managers dribble?

Gad, I would hope TJ wouldn't do what Tech did to us. He definitely wouldn't.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Bit off topic, but ISU's last run-in with Roy was the 2014 game to advance to the sweet 16. This is the game where Kane made a shot to go up by 2 with a couple seconds to play. UNC inbounded the ball, but the clock didn't start right away. UNC called timeout, but officials eventually ruled time had run out before the timeout was called.

When the refs were explaining the ruling to both coaches, I expected Roy to go yell and complain like he normally would do to the refs. Instead, he nodded, looked at Hoiberg, and shook his hand.

I never liked Roy for his temperament, but he at least handled that situation with class. And it's hard to believe that was 10 years ago
That may have been the least nut cup moment in ISU sports history. I still can't believe it went down as it did.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
What crazy alternate universe am I in where CF is in a love fest over Self? Frankly I'm confused and disgusted but mainly disgusted.
It says much more about Tang then Self. Self has much more class, he's always been complimentary of ISU and takes his losses like a man. Tang has no humility and everything he does is about his ego. Not to mention he's a complete hypocrite.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone