THE SUNDAY AFTER: Texas

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Almost everyone else sees progress in the program 4 games into the 2nd season. You must not?

They're improved from last year, so that's good.

I don't think there's been much progress from game to game. Not much movement up front, receivers dropping passes every game, etc. 4-0 isn't that far out of reach and the reasons for it are because that's what ISU does.

There's teams left on the schedule that ISU can have a chance against....it will be a true sign of progress if they close out these winnable games since last year was many cases of the ISUisms.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
They're improved from last year, so that's good.

I don't think there's been much progress from game to game. Not much movement up front, receivers dropping passes every game, etc. 4-0 isn't that far out of reach and the reasons for it are because that's what ISU does.

There's teams left on the schedule that ISU can have a chance against....it will be a true sign of progress if they close out these winnable games since last year was many cases of the ISUisms.

After watching today games and watching ISU played UT I will say that the two games ISU should win are on the road with Tech and Baylor.

Watching Tech tonight I saw a willingness of Tech to attempt to control the game by slowing down the tempo instead of speeding the tempo up but they do not have the personal to play like a TCU or UT.
Tech's QB did not impress me at all.

They games Iowa State will have problems with unless they want to try to slow down the tempo will be Kansas St and TCU.

The games against the Oklahoma schools will be determined by QB play. Rudolph is the real deal but your QB if confident could win that game for you. The OU game next week will be difficult unless your D can create turnovers and take control of the momentum early.
OU throughout history has been vulnerable the week before Red River.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
We can't have amateur hour, this is the Big freaking 12. You need 30 pts. a game to win.

UT didn't.
They only needed 17. Could have won with 10.

Maybe you have not noticed but the teams that are trying to dominate tempo by slowing it down are the ones so far in the first couple of weeks of conference play that look successful. Give me two weeks and I will be able to possibly say that for certain.
I think this conference is swinging back to defense and running the ball.
In Texas high school football the teams they have been able to do so have been winning recently and this was one of the main reasons why everyone started to adopt the spread.
Art Briles when he was coaching high school football in the late 90's was killing everyone.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Finally somebody explains what I was seeing at JTS. Jay - you could be the OC over TM. I saw fear in Park and total loss on Manning scheme. I watched OSU/ TTU- we are not beating those teams. Not beating OU nor KSU. KU and BU are maybes. WVU is prob loss. 4-8 at best! Possible bowl in 2019 -

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
So does Jay see this as the game is unfolding or through review after? Really impressive write up. Is it possible Park is able to change the play at the last moment and just making the wrong choice?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
So does Jay see this as the game is unfolding or through review after? Really impressive write up. Is it possible Park is able to change the play at the last moment and just making the wrong choice?

Great question. And does Jay see this as systemic with Manning or just something inexplicable during the Texas game.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Very good analysis Jay. No doubt the offense and coaching staff did not make the needed adjustments. Will this team and coaching staff learn from this, gawd I hope so.

I'm thinking we are just baiting our next opponent, who is it again, oh yeah, and we get our 1st win over OU in like forever! We make all the in game adjustments, play a perfect game. Everyone raves about how much progress we've made, yada.

The criticism is deserved, IMO, but come on guys, a little balance might be in order.
Are we going to see total blitzes the rest of the season until we figure it out?

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
Great question. And does Jay see this as systemic with Manning or just something inexplicable during the Texas game.

I do not think anyone else in the conference has the scheme and talent combo UT has.
Orlando is a lot like Will Muschamp in regards as a DC.
More so no one else in the conference is two deep with NFL talent in the secondary.

Like I said ISU needs to develop a running game without the pass so if Park struggles again they can still move the ball.
I think by 2019 up tempo offense in the Big XII will be a thing of the past unless it is used to change tempo on slow teams like it was usually used against Nebraska. No teams in this conference plays like Nebraska anymore.
Now teams are building teams to counter up tempo offenses.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It could be a symptom of how ISU chose to approach UT w/ offensive scheme, but by midway thru second half, it looked like recipe to render Park ineffective (due to fierce pass-rush and giving up on running game) or WRs to risk injury (Park forced to hurry throws deep and missing receivers too high).

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
The real problem is not the offensive scheme, its the fact that our Offensive Lineman are NOT big 12 caliber ie. able to block the front 7 of the Texas Horns.....

Poor Jacob Park is in the pocket as his linemen get pushed back in his face with no place to throw the ball...Until our Offensive Line gets better this program will continue to struggle.....

Wanna beat Texas well just recruit better Offensive Linemen...Its really just that simple....but very hard to accomplish at ISU.

Go Cyclones ....Lets go to Norman and upset the Sooners
While the OL didn't have a good game, the gameplan played right into Texas's strength.

Texas rushes 3 OL and brings extras to confuse the QB and the OL. It requires recognizing and picking up the blitz. You combat that witht he outside run and the short passing game across the middle and on the edges. iSu did neither. Our OL is good enough to attack those areas.

Texas confuses a lot of teams. They do. I would feel better if we actually hit those areas and failed to execute but we didn't even hit those areas.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Manning has done well adjusting the gameplan most of his time here. He has had really bad games against Texas both times.

While the game plan was really bad, Manning has been pretty good while at iSu. Especially with halftime adjustments and tailoring the offense to what he has. It was one bad game.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Go ahead and live with your head buried in the sand if that's what makes you feel better.

These message boards are made for us fans to discuss, converse, and yes sometimes argue about our views regarding ISU. It's not all going to be sunshine and rainbows.

CMC has been saying after nearly every game since he got here how they need to get the TE's involved, but we haven't seen it at all. How hard is it to do? We've been told for two years now what a tremendous player Chase Allen is and what a difference maker he is. Too bad we never use that "difference maker".

And I'm sorry CMC, but it's far too late a half hour after the game is over to say that we needed to get David Montgomery the ball more some how, some way. Those are the things you have to recognize on the field during the game and make on the fly adjustments to get it accomplished. That's what good coaching staffs do.... make on the fly adjustments.

I think CMC is a great coach, and a great hire for us, don't get me wrong. I think we would have seen a BIG difference had Candle been the OC as planned before he took the head coaching job at Toledo. Toledo is pretty darn good by the way, even after CMC left. I'm just not sure if Manning has learned how to be an OC yet, and that is scary. We are a Big 12 football program, we shouldn't be hiring guys as OC who haven't done it before and are going to take several years to learn on the job how to do it.

Manning showed last year that he can coach an OL, because that's what he's an expert at. Calling and designing plays is not what he's an expert at. Jay Jordan's videos blatantly show that.
Is this the first time you have read Jay's breakdowns? Because the rest of them have been very complimentary of the play calling.

You are taking one game and making it seem like it has been the whole time Manning has been here

• Agree
Reactions: cynile and istater7

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Can some of the Manning supporters on this board help explain to me why we attempted this play.
We have had better success passing the ball on 3rd and short and 4th and short than running the ball. Our OL has been poor at run blocking. Specifically up the middle.

Now, I thought we should have ran Montgomery but those are valid reasons for a pass at that time.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Hands off is not accurate. He is actively involved on head phones. I saw a talented qb who panicked when he saw the continued rush coming at him. He never saw that rush in intramurals. Unluckily, they will all learn from a loss. Especially the qb.
I saw an OC that put the QB in a bad position and then a QB who did not react well

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
And I saw an OC, who while he may be a good offensive line coach, is clearly not a good offensive coordinator yet.
Based off 1 game? Really, this is the first time I have been disappointed in Manning since iowa game last year. The guy has done very well at iSu with game plans and then halftime adjustments.

He had a bad game against Texas but let's not forget the rest of his games.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It could be a symptom of how ISU chose to approach UT w/ offensive scheme, but by midway thru second half, it looked like recipe to render Park ineffective (due to fierce pass-rush and giving up on running game) or WRs to risk injury (Park forced to hurry throws deep and missing receivers too high).

The unanswered question of the evening (especially playing at home).

Montgomery is really good.

We even threw our way to three and outs with some relatively short fields.

Really puzzling.

Reactions: tazclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
UT didn't.
They only needed 17. Could have won with 10.

Maybe you have not noticed but the teams that are trying to dominate tempo by slowing it down are the ones so far in the first couple of weeks of conference play that look successful. Give me two weeks and I will be able to possibly say that for certain.
I think this conference is swinging back to defense and running the ball.
In Texas high school football the teams they have been able to do so have been winning recently and this was one of the main reasons why everyone started to adopt the spread.
Art Briles when he was coaching high school football in the late 90's was killing everyone.
Too early to determine who is slowing things down or speeding things up. If recent trends hold true...the pace will speed up in conference. For example...last year, TT ran 82 plays per game out of conference and 88 in conference.

With that said, WV and Okie St are successful running up tempo. TCU ran up tempo against OSU and won. OU ran faster tempo against tOSU than they did Baylor and had a more impressive win. TT ran its slowest tempo of the year on Friday and lost.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron