UNI vs. ISU - thoughts/predictions?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I would respectfully disagree. I think it is all there. Murray State and Iowa State has shown he is slow to make adjustments both in games and in seasons and he has already admitted as much in interviews.
What I find interesting is that anyone that disagrees with a coach is considered ignorant, until we all go nuts and want them fired. There were Paul Rhoads backers until the very end, even though folks wanted to seem him go earlier than he did. Those that wanted to make a change were also, "ignorant" and other shots at those folks, such as, not "all in" on the program but looks like they were correct.
You can have your opinion on him. Not sure if you think he is really good, average, or will become legendary, but I haven't seen it yet.
I would be happy to discuss strategy and X's and O's if that makes you feel more comfortable in my position.
You watched his Murray State teams?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Prohm has a higher winning percentage than Jacobson. Has one less tournament appearance in 6 less years of being a head coach. Prohm has made the tournament in 3 out of 6 years as a head coach, Jacobson has made the tournament in only 4 of 11 years.

They lost the Purdue game, it happens.

He says he only judges coaches off big games and then goes on to say he'll judge Prohm this weekend against Jacobson lol

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I have used a few different examples. Slow to make changes like starting slow every season, Murray and ISU, admitted should've played Young earlier than he did last year, Purdue game, showed a story by CW in which defense was his main priority and that didn't happen. Just saying, there are points that I think aren't ideal, but of course, nobody is perfect.

To the point of this thread, I think Jacobson will be able to keep a step ahead of Prohm. Why is that unreasonable?
He may have said that, but didn't Solomon have a broken hand that kept him out for a portion of the non-conference? I'm sure that had a lot to do with why he didn't get a lot of time early.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'd rather have a coach who makes mistakes at times, and knows/can own up to them after the fact, rather than one who just sticks to his guns and thinks it'll fall into place (Fran). Being able to identify your mistakes is the only way you can advance as a coach. Hell the dude has only been a head coach since 2011, and has more success in those years than a lot of people, and is still learning and growing as a coach himself. To base your perception of him solely on "Big Game" loses or individual times he identified where he screwed up, and not take into account the wins in said games or the things he has done well, like having his teams ready and playing their best for Feb/March or his PG success, etc. is on the person refusing to take those into account.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
I follow UNI nearly as much as ISU. Sorry, I really don't find their style or pace boring or ugly. Not nearly as much fun as a Cyclone run, but nothing wrong with it, just different. They'll never have the athletes to play fast, but they're good and well-coached (obvious). Pickford has a lot of the attention, along with Koch and Carlson, but guard play will be really important (ISU advantage). The way McCloud plays will be critical for UNI.
DEFENSE:
Yeah, one thing I've found interesting - and I've been chastised saying it here at CF for it - is that the VAST majority of viewers do not understand what is happening on defense.
1. Two times this season during UNI games I've heard one announcer ask the other announcer to explain what it is that UNI is doing on defense. Both times, the other announcer immediately changed the subject. He had either had no idea what was happening, or no interest in explaining it.
In football, fans and commentators like defense. At the end of a 7-3 victory, people say, "Well, that was a defensive battle!"
But in Basketball, if UNI-ISU is 25-20 at halftime, people will say, "What a snooze-fest!"
2. Opponents after a loss to UNI rarely say, "They just played great defense." Instead, they say, "We lost that game. We played badly. They didn't beat us. We beat ourselves." (They say that every time and I think it's because they don't understand what just happened.)
I think the difference is that few people understand what is happening on the defensive end in basketball.

If ISU is forced by UNI to shoot a lot of 3's and they hit on their season average of .374 they would be scoring over 1.1 points per possession which in a low scoring affair is probably a good chance for victory....
If ISU has a ppp of 1.1, ISU will probably win. But I don't think that will happen.

Welcome to CF. To get this back on track how much better is McCloud this year compared to last? Night and day
It's weird how much better he is. Last year, he couldn't hit a 3 and nearly always got blocked when driving to the hoop. He was fast. He could beat his guy, but then couldn't score. In PrimeTimeLeague he was scoring like 40-something points per game. And he's doing really well in games so far.
He's a recruit Coach Jake was really excited about, so his freshman year was a bit disappointing. But this year, we're starting to see why.

• Agree
Reactions: UNIPantherFan

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I have used a few different examples. Slow to make changes like starting slow every season, Murray and ISU, admitted should've played Young earlier than he did last year, Purdue game, showed a story by CW in which defense was his main priority and that didn't happen. Just saying, there are points that I think aren't ideal, but of course, nobody is perfect.

To the point of this thread, I think Jacobson will be able to keep a step ahead of Prohm. Why is that unreasonable?
Yeah...Tom Izzo isn't a great coach because he starts slow most years and peaks at the end of the year:confused:

C'mon man.Prohm has done a great job
  1. Could have changed everything up when he got here and do things his way. Instead he melded things and changed his style to fit
  2. Teams have gotten better as the season goes on
  3. Very instrumental in players developing their individual games...Nader, Monte, Naz, Burton
  4. Recruiting- has recruited two of iSu's best classes.
  5. Short term losses for long term gains
By every measure...Prohm has been as successful as Jacobson
  1. Conference titles-Jacobson-2 reg season 4 MVC tournament Championships Prohm-1, 4 divisional/regular season, 2 Big 12 tourney
  2. Sweet Sixteen- each have 1
  3. Round of 32- each have 2
  4. NIT/CIT- very similar results
  5. Recruiting- Prohm recruits at a higher level
  6. Head to head- Jacobson 1-0
You see starting slow as a negative...I see it as being a great coach who develops players and uses the non con to work out rotations, keep bench players engaged.

You see a coach admitting he made a mistake as bad. I think it is great that a coach can admit error and grow from it.

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I think that's what I am most impressed with.
I am most impressed with how his teams grow throughout the season and his player development.
  1. In season growth shows me that he can see areas of improvement and coach up those areas
  2. Player development. What he did with Nader is simply amazing. Burton improvements were great. Monte elevating his game and Naz becoming more of an all around player instead of just a sharp shooter.
All clonedlion has told me is he looks to prefer the UNI style of basketball. That is fine. I can respect that. But that doesn't mean Jacobson is "great" and Prohm isn't.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and isu2014

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
In addition, saying a team starting a player that is 6'5 at PF, along side 6'4 SF and a 6'8 C is not playing small, they you don't know what playing small is.

For informational purposes, KU was bigger than ISU and they beat Purdue. They went 6'10, 6'7 and 6'6. The difference in that game was that they played better defense in the first half and rebounded better than ISU and then mostly their guards shot better than ISU's guards.
Mason and Graham were 9-14 from 3. Morris and Long were 2-13.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
The interesting thing in all of this is whether or not we see each other's point of view. You all like him and that is fine. This whole thing started because I said Prohm is not on Jacobson's level and I don't think ISU wins this weekend. There is no agenda. There is no hatred.
You all can like him, but everyone is biased in their view. Apparently nobody is upset with Prohm and how Purdue went and everyone is thrilled with how he has handled this program so far. I think he mismanaged that purdue game and it stemmed from how he handles adjustments in game, which means, a chance at a final four and championship with kansas and oregon to follow.

So we can go back and forth for days pointing out this and that, but the question is who wins think weekend. I still say UNI.
If you go back to Jacobson being better than Prohm

Has Jacobson ever lost a game due to poor coaching decisions or game planning?

I mean you list the Purdue game as pretty much your only proof of Prohm's inabaility to adjust and game plan.

I wasn't happy with the Purdue game and see your point but that doesn't paint a guy's whole career.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
DEFENSE:
Yeah, one thing I've found interesting - and I've been chastised saying it here at CF for it - is that the VAST majority of viewers do not understand what is happening on defense.
1. Two times this season during UNI games I've heard one announcer ask the other announcer to explain what it is that UNI is doing on defense. Both times, the other announcer immediately changed the subject. He had either had no idea what was happening, or no interest in explaining it.
In football, fans and commentators like defense. At the end of a 7-3 victory, people say, "Well, that was a defensive battle!"
But in Basketball, if UNI-ISU is 25-20 at halftime, people will say, "What a snooze-fest!"
2. Opponents after a loss to UNI rarely say, "They just played great defense." Instead, they say, "We lost that game. We played badly. They didn't beat us. We beat ourselves." (They say that every time and I think it's because they don't understand what just happened.)
I think the difference is that few people understand what is happening on the defensive end in basketball.

If ISU has a ppp of 1.1, ISU will probably win. But I don't think that will happen.

It's weird how much better he is. Last year, he couldn't hit a 3 and nearly always got blocked when driving to the hoop. He was fast. He could beat his guy, but then couldn't score. In PrimeTimeLeague he was scoring like 40-something points per game. And he's doing really well in games so far.
He's a recruit Coach Jake was really excited about, so his freshman year was a bit disappointing. But this year, we're starting to see why.

Virginia is an elite defensive team and I think their games are boring compared to other games on TV. It's not an insult just what happens when you slow it down so much

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Welcome to CF. To get this back on track how much better is McCloud this year compared to last? Night and day

He has improved quite a bit with his jump shot. I wouldn't say he is someone who will show up on a scouting report and opponents say "stay in that guy's face all game or he'll make 4 or 5 threes in no time", but he is at least capable of knocking them down (he made 9 threes all of last season, he has 14 so far this year 1/3 of the way through the season) and has to be accounted for. Last year teams quickly learned to just back off him to prevent his driving capability and make him shoot long jumpers and he averaged like 4 PPG. This year you can't just leave him unguarded at the perimeter which means he can drive to the rim easier for a lay-up or kick out to an open shooter if they collapse on him.

I think he can still improve his jump shot and his free throw shooting, but overall, his improvement from year 1 to year 2 is one of the biggest reasons UNI has been more successful this season compared to last season.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Aug 26, 2014
Funny background at Wells Fargo. The team that can get to the rim more effectively wins. That's us. Clones by 8.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Murray State and Iowa State has shown he is slow to make adjustments both in games and in seasons and he has already admitted as much in interviews.

Yes, he has admitted a few times about adjustments he failed to make. Does that make him a bad coach? In all those cases, he had a reason for doing what he was doing. All coaches make decisions, some of which work and some don't. The difference is that Prohm talks about them occasionally. Most coaches would never admit to making a mistake, even though it was clear for everyone to see. Prohm does. He critiques his players to help them improve. And the very data on which you are judging him could simply be his critique of himself in order to help himself improve. Perhaps that should be taken as an indication of a good coach.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I don't think so either, however I was simply responding to a post that stated ISU would have to shoot out of their minds better than their season average from the arc to beat UNI. Their season average from 3 is right in line with the Big 12 season average if not slightly above.

I didn't even bring up that ISU is shooting .394 as a team from 3 in the seven games since NWB moved over to assume full time PG duties. That's nearly 1.2 points per 3 attempt.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

You have to help me understand something...why is starting a season slow and finishing strong a sign of poor coaching?

I also don't completely understand what you mean by starting slow.
2015-16- 12-1 in the non con with one loss by 2 points
2016-17- 8-3 with losses to Gonzaga, Cincy and Iowa. Gonzaga(finished #2) loss was by 2, Cincy loss was by 1(finished #22)

This year I can get but I think everyone figured we would start slow with all the new pieces.

I guess I don't get the issue if they start slow, are trying different combinations, teaching guys roles and are still winning games.

Can you clarify what you mean?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
A football game can end 7-3 and still have a lot of excitement. A lot of exciting things can happen between the 20's. Prime example...TCU vs iSu this year and iSu actually played ball control in football this year

I can respect what teams like Virginia and UNI do but a lot of times...when teams let the air out of the ball and slow the game down, they are not doing much in the first 15 seconds of the shot clock. They may wait until 15 seconds left to initiate offense. Watching a guy dribble at the top of the key or two guys pass the ball back and forth for 10-15 seconds is not all that exciting. That is a little different than in football. A well blocked dive play could turn into a 40 yard gain pretty quickly.