What’s In the Bag? ***GOLF EQUIPMENT THREAD***

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
I think my next club I want to get is a driving iron. I currently play a Ben Hogan apex forged 18 degree 2 iron. But I did test a driving iron and golf galaxy and the face is definitely hotter than the 2 iron. I'm left handed so I can't really test different models. But I do like the Cobra King one is adjustable. Anyone have that club or tested out driving irons? I have one friend who has the SIM UDI and likes it alot.
The Srixon ZX utility iron is the best driving iron I’ve found

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Honestly my next set of irons might be from Sub70, $540 for a full set is right in my sweet spot as a person that doesn't like spending money on myself. I bought a 2 iron from them, real nice quality, lots of customization options and a family owned company.
I looked at Sub70 quite a bit myself. Not a lot of LH options from them though, unfortunately for me.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
The Srixon ZX utility iron is the best driving iron I’ve found

Do you find it very forgiving? The reviews say it's not but it looks stunning. I'm really intrigued by the Cobra King utility driving iron. It's adjustable 1.5 degrees loft up or down. The 3 driving iron is at 19.5 degree and I could get that down to 18 which is what my current 2 iron is. Golf Galaxy only had a Ping 3 driving iron to test out but the Cobra is the one i'm leaning with.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I have been spraying my driver all over the place, but I can hit my long irons much easier and straighter. Anyone have any success with driving irons?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I haven't gotten mine out nearly as many times as I would've hoped by now. Either too busy on good days, or ****** weather on open days it feels like.

Haven’t played on a day without either rain/drizzle or winds over 15mph sustained…or both. Think the best day I played so far was in February.

Reactions: MeowingCows

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Cobra Radspeed Driver and 3W
Taylor Made 790 3I and 4I
5-PW MP-18MB
Vokey SM8 50,56, 60
12 different putters. Mostly a Newport 2.5

First time I've ever had the same bag in back to back years.

I really want to get out of blades and into something more forgiving. Probably Sub 70 659s at this point.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You guys that want a driving iron- Take a look at a P790 2 or 3 iron. They are super hot so you will get the distance in a club that's very forgiving. You can go find a hybrid shaft to put in to make it even better plus you have a club you can use places other than off a tee. I have zero issues hitting mine out of the rough.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Instead of giving up on hitting a driver, go get a lesson. Your instructor will know whether you need fitted for a different club or what your fix will be

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Instead of giving up on hitting a driver, go get a lesson. Your instructor will know whether you need fitted for a different club or what your fix will be

I'm not sure who's giving up on the driver. I want a driving iron because their long off the tee, I have a hole specifically at my golf course to use it on. There are holes you just want to place it instead of going all out with the driver.

I got a Sim Max driver this year and just got a new Aldila shaft in it. I love the driver, definitely not giving it up

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Seems I golf better when after having a few beers. Guy I golf with, thinks he is a great golfer and when I start out distancing him and chipping better than he does with an old set of clubs, he just gets pissed off.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
Do you find it very forgiving? The reviews say it's not but it looks stunning. I'm really intrigued by the Cobra King utility driving iron. It's adjustable 1.5 degrees loft up or down. The 3 driving iron is at 19.5 degree and I could get that down to 18 which is what my current 2 iron is. Golf Galaxy only had a Ping 3 driving iron to test out but the Cobra is the one i'm leaning with.
It’s forgiving enough. Honestly, anything with 18° of loft requires a pretty solid swing/contact. It’s a rocket launcher though. I’m a huge cobra guy and I hated their utility iron from a few years ago. Felt terrible. Their new one looks nicer. PXG driving irons are also really solid.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It’s forgiving enough. Honestly, anything with 18° of loft requires a pretty solid swing/contact. It’s a rocket launcher though. I’m a huge cobra guy and I hated their utility iron from a few years ago. Felt terrible. Their new one looks nicer. PXG driving irons are also really solid.
I'm apparently a ***** with low irons 'cuz I haven't mastered hitting my new 5i yet -- that's 22°, didn't have one before. Most of my strikes feel terrible with it and don't go further than my 6i (which I also don't hit well yet, but better than the 5i). Knowing that, there's zero chance I could hit a driving iron. At best, I might be able to only hit it off a tee at this point.

That said, I've got a 3H on the way instead.

Reactions: DollaDollaBill

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
What does everyone use for shot tracking/distances/analytics/strokes gained, all that jazz? I'm doing a free Arccos trial now but haven't played enough to get much out of it yet. I don't expect to pay for the subscription on it. I know Garmin and Shot Scope have some similar devices and apps.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
What does everyone use for shot tracking/distances/analytics/strokes gained, all that jazz? I'm doing a free Arccos trial now but haven't played enough to get much out of it yet. I don't expect to pay for the subscription on it. I know Garmin and Shot Scope have some similar devices and apps.
the Swing U app.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I have a Bushnell Wingman speaker & app and I love it.