What chance does shonn greene have at the heisman?

ktoddcyclones

Oct 31, 2007
Columbus Junction, IA
If Iowa was in the Big 12 and Shonn Greene was racking up the same kind of yardage he is in the Big 10. He might have a chance, but being in the Big 10 this year he isn't even get invited, but he get anywhere from 1-6 votes

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I've said previously in this post that I didn't think he would get an invite. He's got a lot going against him. No pre-season hype, the Hawks are 7-4, B10 is down, etc. The guy could/should finish with around 1700 yards for the season. To say that he hasn't earned an invite is wrong, but it does speak well for the players in front of him

theodore

Sep 24, 2008
Won't even make the top 10 in consideration. He's good but their team isn't in the Top 25, hasn't played a very difficult schedule and there are far better players around the country.

Think of it this way - his accomplishments are half of what Troy Davis' were and Davis didn't win it at a time when a lot of people would agree the choices weren't nearly as numerous as they are this year.

wow..talk about trying to fan the flames on your board. Possibly most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time. Greene gets a little consideration but no where near the top.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
wow..talk about trying to fan the flames on your board. Possibly most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time. Greene gets a little consideration but no where near the top.

his post seems spot on IMO.

-keep

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Oh, you're such a stud. Nice post calling someone a retard. Would you say that to Greene's face if you saw him in public?? I highly doubt it. Did you say the same thing about Troy Davis??

Yes I would, I speak my mind whether it be on the internet or in person!!!

Considering Troy never had to leave ISU because of grades why would I say the same thing?

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
If Iowa was in the Big 12 and Shonn Greene was racking up the same kind of yardage he is in the Big 10. He might have a chance, but being in the Big 10 this year he isn't even get invited, but he get anywhere from 1-6 votes

I agree because he would probably get 2000 yards if he played our schedule and the run D's we have faced:

Okla St 27th
Kansas 33rd
Missouri 40th
Nebraska 51st
Baylor 69th
Colorado 83rd
Kent St 95th
Texas A&M 111th
K State 114th
UNLV 115th

The worse run D Iowa has faced is Purdue at 96th and yes Iowa State is ranked higher at 89th, I can't imagine what he would do to A&M, K State or UNLV.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Reggie Bush was the last running back to win the award under 1800 yards and he had nearly 500 yards receiving plus his special teams play. Ricky Williams had 2397 yards rushing and 5 times as many reciving yards. Eddie George had 1927 yards and 52 receptions. Ron Dayne was the only one somewhat comparable and he was playing in a VERY weak Heisman class... Greene would need 249 yards to match Dayne.

Last edited:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
If the leading rusher in the nation doesn't get an invite, something is horribly wrong. He won't win it, but he should definitely go to NYC.

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
If the leading rusher in the nation doesn't get an invite, something is horribly wrong. He won't win it, but he should definitely go to NYC.
He won't go, there's too many people better than him

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Troy Davis went for over 2000 yards... two years in a row... and didn't win it.

Enough said... there's no way Greene deserves to win it.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Not 100% sure what……………..”too many people better than him” or “he doesn’t deserve to win” means exactly!

1st off he will definitely NOT win and likely wont be invited, as there are a plethora of terrific QB’s available and Crabtree is an absolute stud. All the same at one time the award went to the best player or one that impacted his team and surrounding the most.

Lets think about this logically……………….

I happen to think Graham Harrell deserves it but until they proved they were for real this year, he was barely even mentioned. And the reason for that is he is perceived to be a system QB. The same goes for Crabtree though he’ll be an outstanding Pro, and Harrell is probably debatable. Ironically enough as good as several of the past “high end” big 12 QB’s have all been, they have mostly been NFL busts, but that shouldn’t impact the college award IMO.

Tebow, was very average to poor early on and shouldn’t be in the same breath with Bradford, McCoy or Harrell if I’m voting.

As for Greene why he won’t go. …………As great as his numbers are they aren’t “ridiculous” per se, though 11 games in a row is quite a feat. Iowa also hasn’t been consistent enough as a team, and the Big 10 is rightly perceived as down for the most part.

As for why he should, if you believe ISU fans and the rest of the competition he is all we have on O and yet he still has done this against everyone. Big 10 teams for the most part still play very good run D and he is smacking people in the mouth, with most yards coming after contact alleviating the Iowa has a good line argument. Iowa’s schedule though maligned early on has turned out to be a lot tougher than the pundits had thought. Lastly 6.1 yards a carry is nothing short of remarkable.

In closing, that travesty that was the Troy Davis debacle ruined the Heisman for me. I was at the Texas A&M game when he torched them for about 250 in a losing effort. At that time I despised ISU (I am actually a mild follower now depending on the abrasiveness of their fans LOL) and I remember being outraged that a kid who came out of Jim Walden’s shadow to run for 2000 when everyone knew he was getting the ball, got jobbed. Then all it did was happen again the next year. I honestly haven’t really cared who won since and that includes Brad Banks. I suppose it’s good pub for a university, but winning does that!

Last edited:
Reactions: ISU4ME

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
And how many of them play running back? Zero. I'm not saying that the Heisman has to pick one guy from every position, but if he doesn't go it won't be because he hasn't earned it.
So what if he's a running back? There are too many people better than him, period

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron