What chance does shonn greene have at the heisman?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I was just trying to remember this. I believe it was the year it came down to Young, Bush, and Leinart. I think they only invited 3 because they knew no one else was going to be in the ball park.

found it. last year only 4 were invited. Daniel, McFadden, Brennan, Tebow.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I dunno, he leads the nation in rushing, has 15 rushing touchdowns, and has a pretty impressive highlight real. Again, I'm not saying he'll be invited to New York, but it's not "pushing" it to say it's a possibility, or that he at least deserves to be in the discussion.

He might get an invite if he gets 300 yards against Minnesota.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
ESPN currently has him at number nine in its Heisman voting poll, which it says comes from its "panel of experts." A 150+ yard day against Minnesota, plus a win, and I think he has a shot at going to NYC. Won't win it though. Not a chance.

If you watch him run, one thing that is overlooked is Iowa's line play. Talk about a 180 from last year. They deserve most of the credit for Iowa's running success. Just look at Hampton for proof of that. His yards per carry average is over 5 and Shonn's is over 6. That means they're doing something right. The scary thing is they rotate 8 or 9 guys through their O-line, and only two are seniors.

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
ESPN currently has him at number nine in its Heisman voting poll, which it says comes from its "panel of experts." A 150+ yard day against Minnesota, plus a win, and I think he has a shot at going to NYC. Won't win it though. Not a chance.

If you watch him run, one thing that is overlooked is Iowa's line play. Talk about a 180 from last year. They deserve most of the credit for Iowa's running success. Just look at Hampton for proof of that. His yards per carry average is over 5 and Shonn's is over 6. That means they're doing something right. The scary thing is they rotate 8 or 9 guys through their O-line, and only two are seniors.

Even with a 150+ yard day I still don't think he goes

And I don't think the scary part for Iowa next year is their OL, the scary part to me is they return 8 or 9 guys off that D.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Zero chance. It's not happening. He probably will win the best RB award. He deserves something.

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
I think he's your 2008 Doak Walker Award winner, which is pretty damn impressive. Whether he's invited to NYC or not? We'll see. Even if he's not, that doesnt take away from the year he has had and the fact he's more then likely a consensus 1st all american.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I'll back you on this. I think he deserves to be the top 10. Aren't they inviting 10 this year?

He's the sole reason I think Iowa won against Iowa State, Penn State and Purdue. I didn't follow any other games so I don't know what he did to win those games there. I think he's a great running back even despite him being a Hawk.

I don't think he'll get an invite for a few reasons that have all ready been posted. Plays in the Big 10, 4 losses, etc. Another reason is that it seems to be pre-ordained that the Heisman is either going to someone from the Big 12 south or Tim Tebow.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Even with a 150+ yard day I still don't think he goes

And I don't think the scary part for Iowa next year is their OL, the scary part to me is they return 8 or 9 guys off that D.

They lose 2 dominant DT's that make the rest of the D work. Trust me, that will be a huge loss.

SG should get the Doak, no invite to NYC. No shame in that.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
SG is very good. Is not fortunate that Iowa has not played much of schedule. I will not be upset that I dont get to see him again next year.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Even if Greene goes pro after this year I don't think they have a huge dropoff with Hampton, guy has looked pretty solid all year too.

If he stays it will be fun to watch Greene/Hampton and Williams/Robinson face off next year during the Cy-Hawk game.

DJKHawk

Dec 22, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
I don't think he gets an invite, and I think that's a good thing. Give him the Doak Walker Award (which he deserves) and let him focus on the impending bowl game.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
I dunno, he leads the nation in rushing, has 15 rushing touchdowns, and has a pretty impressive highlight real. Again, I'm not saying he'll be invited to New York, but it's not "pushing" it to say it's a possibility, or that he at least deserves to be in the discussion.

Yes, he does lead the nation in rushing currently, but by only 40-50 yards over Ringer (MSU) and Brown (CT) and he is not in the top five for rushing TD's, in which Ringer leads with 20 total on the year.

So, SG has no way of being invited for the Heisman and I don't think he will win the Doak Walker either. The Walker will come down to Ringer, Brown, Moreno (UGA), and SG with it probably going to Ringer b/c of his overall stats.