Why not re-rank today 1/19 ...

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Kunc may be addition by subtraction? K-State's David N'Guessan has been out since B12 play started and likely won't see the floor Saturday v. TxT. He was averaging 8 points and 5 boards before going down. If you've watch the Cats, you know there's a hole at the five spot forcing Tang to go small ball much of the time.
Eh, who knows. I think he can provide better minutes than Rob Jones. Rob with so many silly fouls, and can't finish at the rim. At least Kunc can knock down a jumper. Kunc certainly can't body-up as well defensively down low... But with King in the mix now, we don't really need him to.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Kunc may be addition by subtraction? K-State's David N'Guessan has been out since B12 play started and likely won't see the floor Saturday v. TxT. He was averaging 8 points and 5 boards before going down. If you've watch the Cats, you know there's a hole at the five spot forcing Tang to play small ball much of the time.
I wouldn't go that far, as ISU with Kunc will have that many more lineup options. He's an important player. I think our other guys have just stepped up in his absence, and King came into the rotation at just the right time.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'd probably rank them like this:

1. KU

2. KState (they beat #1 so I'll give them a slight edge)
3. ISU
4.Texas
5.TCU
6. Baylor

7. OSU
8. WVU
9. Oklahoma

10. Tech

Wouldn't be shocked if Texas fades a bit if they hit some adversity and Baylor continues to rise

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'd probably rank them like this:

1. KU

2. KState (they beat #1 so I'll give them a slight edge)
3. ISU
4.Texas
5.TCU
6. Baylor

7. OSU
8. WVU
9. Oklahoma

10. Tech

Wouldn't be shocked if Texas fades a bit if they hit some adversity and Baylor continues to rise
I'm good with Ku at one but not in a tier by themselves. K-State beat them by getting into their bench which is weak. Depth matters as the season progresses. And this Ku outfit lacks that ingredient.

Self is a great coach because he adapts to his talent. But he can't get around or out-scheme a short bench. That showed itself and was the difference in Manhattan.

Reactions: Drew0311

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think TCU is a little like North Carolina both good talented teams but everyone put way too much stock into a tournament run or a really good tournament game for TCU and then said oh they're returning basically everyone so they should be really good. Don't get me wrong I think TCU is top half of the best league in the country. I just don't think they're really a title threat
The really odd thing about tcu is, their best player is a pg but their glaring weakness is pg play. They are great in transition but struggle in the half court bc their offense is just Miles going 1 on 1. He will either take a tough 3 or flop at the rim trying to draw a foul.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
1. Ku - yes, they lost by one in OT
2. ISU - win at TCU trumps loss at AFH
3. K-State - loss at TCU trumps win over squawks
4. TCU - bad loss at Morgantown
5. Baylor - won three straight after losing same
6. Texas - not over beard
7. oSu - won bedlam
8. WVU - first fine dine - frog legs
9. OU - the porter
10. TxT - scoreboard says 0-6
I have never been a fan of porter. There is something about him that is creepy.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
1. Ku - yes, they lost by one in OT
2. ISU - win at TCU trumps loss at AFH
3. K-State - loss at TCU trumps win over squawks
4. TCU - bad loss at Morgantown
5. Baylor - won three straight after losing same
6. Texas - not over beard
7. oSu - won bedlam
8. WVU - first fine dine - frog legs
9. OU - the porter
10. TxT - scoreboard says 0-6
Doesn't really matter but 1 possession loss in the Phog trumps a loss in Manhattan. Guess it will clear it's self up in Hilton.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'm good with Ku at one but not in a tier by themselves. K-State beat them by getting into their bench which is weak. Depth matters as the season progresses. And this Ku outfit lacks that ingredient.

Self is a great coach because he adapts to his talent. But he can't get around or out-scheme a short bench. That showed itself and was the difference in Manhattan.
I wouldn't say the bench is the reason they lost the game.

• Dumb
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The team is playing better without him than they were earlier with him due to others stepping up their games. It's not for me to judge, just a question.
I don't think we're better without him but we are definitely better offensively playing small ball. Rotation will be interesting when he returns.

• Informative

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

The only reason I'm giving them their own tier (and it's only so slightly) is the last 15 years of this conference has been dominated by KU. Self knows how to win this conference. TJ is in his second year and Tang is in his 1st. We're not even halfway through conference season yet so I'm going to give KU the edge at this point.

• Informative

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Self said as much. Those three guys had never experienced a game point ending.

That is not saying the bench lost the game. He was just saying they had guys in that aren't used to playing in those situations at KU because the starters are usually in. Which is true for every team. At the end of game situations in close games you have your best players in the game but obviously when 3 of them foul out things are going to be a lot different. I doubt there is another game this year where they have 3 starters foul out and can't finish the game.

• Dumb

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The only reason I'm giving them their own tier (and it's only so slightly) is the last 15 years of this conference has been dominated by KU. Self knows how to win this conference. TJ is in his second year and Tang is in his 1st. We're not even halfway through conference season yet so I'm going to give KU the edge at this point.
I'm good with that as my ranking criteria is how I see this finishing based both on what they've done to this point in time and the eye test. So, I see Ku winning it as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
That is not saying the bench lost the game. He was just saying they had guys in that aren't used to playing in those situations at KU because the starters are usually in. Which is true for every team. At the end of game situations in close games you have your best players in the game but obviously when 3 of them foul out things are going to be a lot different. I doubt there is another game this year where they have 3 starters foul out and can't finish the game.
We can all watch what Self said and draw out own conclusions. Mine is that K-State won by getting into their bench late and their bench isn't very good, nor experienced.

You didn't explain why you thought Ku lost?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
We can all watch what Self said and draw out own conclusions. Mine is that K-State won by getting into their bench late and their bench isn't very good, nor experienced.

You didn't explain why you thought Ku lost?
Missed shots and fouling too much.
KSU didn't win because of their bench. They won because of their best players making big plays.

• Dumb