Will Iowa State make postseason play?

Will we make postseason?

• Yes NCAA Tournament

• Yes NIT

• Not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Goalposts: moved. This is one of the most talented Iowa State rosters ever on paper (up there with Niang, Morris, Thomas teams). And the new players argument is terrible as in this transfer portal era we will have a bunch of players new to ISU starting every year. So if they aren't meshing early than it is an issue

Woah...what?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I've adjust my expectations from a 5 or 6 seed to an 8-10 seed at this point. But I think the potential to move back up is certainly there if this team can figure some things out
This is where I’m at. A couple players I thought preseason would make the team deep, just haven’t been good yet so the team isn’t as deep as thought. Those players are going to have to show up in conference play or this team is going to struggle come conference play and not make the tournament. Still a lot of basketball and the Texas A&M loss will be a good loss come March. Not sure the Virginia Tech will be.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I choose to draw a distinction between people who do nothing but criticize, and those who don’t. Since you refuse to address the obvious difference, I’ll just have to assume you’re in the former group and can’t.
Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying and how it remotely relates to my question (in which I genuinely asked - is there anything, at this point in the season, that is acceptable to criticize or worry about?). I kindly ask that you block me, as I am not aware of what I am not “addressing” for you. Thanks.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Goalposts: moved. This is one of the most talented Iowa State rosters ever on paper (up there with Niang, Morris, Thomas teams). And the new players argument is terrible as in this transfer portal era we will have a bunch of players new to ISU starting every year. So if they aren't meshing early than it is an issue
You are talking about three NBA players who were junior and seniors. Niang was one of the best players in the country and Morris shot the ball over 38% from 3. The ceiling for this squad is higher than the last two years but the floor is also lower due to the amount of frieshmen and sophomores playing pivotal roles.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Oh my gaaawd, relax. Did y'all expect this to be a cakewalk? We literally hadn't played a team with a pulse before this tournament so of course we didn't look amazing. Still a new group of guys that will continue to get better.
If you get this upset from a couple of early losses (one to #12 team in the country btw) then you need to get more hobbies.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm certainly not going to draw conclusions based on one weekend. Good coaches make teams better, and I think we have a great coach. This team was blowing out bad teams before this tournament and had nothing on tape to work on. Now they do. Everything that went bad this weekend is fixable. My only concern at this point is Omaha's minutes/performance. I'm hopeful he'll come on in the next month.

Reactions: NWICY

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Long season, but there is some issues and they are noticeable:
-we lack athletic bodies and it showed in all three games
-shooting has been awful(3's and FT's)
-lack of any post game
-not completely sure what we are on offense(when you lack postgame and shooters you will have this) I don't think anyone on TJ's staff is known for their offensive mind and it shows
-bench is not helping
-defense seems to have taken a step back over previous years

The Big12 is going to be brutal again this year and I don't see us in the top half

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Oh my gaaawd, relax. Did y'all expect this to be a cakewalk? We literally hadn't played a team with a pulse before this tournament so of course we didn't look amazing. Still a new group of guys that will continue to get better.
If you get this upset from a couple of early losses (one to #12 team in the country btw) then you need to get more hobbies.
Well the #12 team down a couple starters makes it a little different. Virginia Tech got dumped on. This teams going to struggle

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Long season, but there is some issues and they are noticeable:
-we lack athletic bodies and it showed in all three games
-shooting has been awful(3's and FT's)
-lack of any post game
-not completely sure what we are on offense(when you lack postgame and shooters you will have this) I don't think anyone on TJ's staff is known for their offensive mind and it shows
-bench is not helping
-defense seems to have taken a step back over previous years

The Big12 is going to be brutal again this year and I don't see us in the top half

Good post. I am not going to predict either way now, still missing Ward. But at this point 2 years ago I was predicting a 20+ win season and a good seed in the tourney. I know.....TJ's first year....but you could sense between Hunter/Gabe/Brockington that team had "it". They went through their tough times like most.....but it was there....the chemistry.

This season I just can't sense there is that chemistry. So I'm not going to predict either way, but yeah....it seems a lot of what bothered them the end of last year is happening again.

Reactions: Baseline23

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
Woah...what?
Best recruiting class and one of the best transfer classes in iowa state history. Returning an elite point guard who added a 3pt shot in the offseason. Idk I don’t think I’m crazy to say this is one of the most talented rosters ever on paper. Doesn’t mean it actually is or that it will translate to results but my main point is that we underachieved in Orlando big time

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Best recruiting class and one of the best transfer classes in iowa state history. Returning an elite point guard who added a 3pt shot in the offseason. Idk I don’t think I’m crazy to say this is one of the most talented rosters ever on paper. Doesn’t mean it actually is or that it will translate to results but my main point is that we underachieved in Orlando big time

Can you cite the transfer class being one of the best ever?

Do you think that ISU matched up athleticly/skill wise well with the teams they played?

Reactions: Baseline23

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
My confidence is definitely rattled from this weekend, but every year it seems we talk about how weak the bubble teams are. Still have to believe TJ and the staff will get it figured out
Sometimes the losses are beneficial later in the year. Shows are weaknesses and what needs to be worked on.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I choose to draw a distinction between people who do nothing but criticize, and those who don’t. Since you refuse to address the obvious difference, I’ll just have to assume you’re in the former group and can’t.
Apparently you think I'm one of those who do nothing but criticize as well. Please, by all means block me so you don't feel the need to leave snarky replies to my relatively benign posts.

• Funny
Reactions: simply1

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think so. I think we probably missed Hasan a bit. Can’t tell if I should worry about Lipsey being our most prolific rebounder or maybe just chalk that up to what a complete player he is.

The offense isn’t pretty and we have scoring droughts of great length, but then I look at the score and we have more points than it feels like.

I haven’t really analyzed the conference schedule enough to know if we got a good or a bad deal on our games with the newcomers.

Hoping someone has a big game from the outside against a decent team to open the floor up more for us.

Definitely a concern. We have to get Omaha up and running and find a role for him. I think he’ll get way better he just needs to learn what it means to really compete at this level. I think that’s where he’s lacking right now but the only way to get him up to speed is to let him play through it. So it’s tough.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm certainly not going to draw conclusions based on one weekend. Good coaches make teams better, and I think we have a great coach. This team was blowing out bad teams before this tournament and had nothing on tape to work on. Now they do. Everything that went bad this weekend is fixable. My only concern at this point is Omaha's minutes/performance. I'm hopeful he'll come on in the next month.
I was, but I've never seen just a disparity in a guy's advertised ability's and actual out put. He's contributing absolutely nothing at this point. You can see he hustles, but he's just completely lost.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
This weekend's tournament was a wake-up call. For the most part, we looked bad against fair competition. I've adjusted my expectations, and my happiness, way down.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Goalposts: moved. This is one of the most talented Iowa State rosters ever on paper (up there with Niang, Morris, Thomas teams). And the new players argument is terrible as in this transfer portal era we will have a bunch of players new to ISU starting every year. So if they aren't meshing early than it is an isissues.
It's fair to same some teams will gel quicker than others. Each season will be unique in how quickly teams mesh.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
As it stands now, not a chance. They needed a miracle to beat a below average VCU and have beaten no other decent teams while getting out played by a weakened A&M and an average VTech team.

• Agree
Reactions: OscarBerkshire

Help Support Us

Become a patron