Zambrano to retire

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Would have been nice of him to do this before the season. Then maybe we could have been a little more aggressive at the deadline.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
This story has been a nice distraction from all the realignment stuff. I hope like hell he retires. 18 million to spend in the off season.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Have him sign the paperwork ASAP. That's a good way to get out from under his remaining contract.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I doubt he is really retiring, but the reaction of the Cubs thus far is to call his bluff and let him. Hendry said "We will respect his wishes and honor them and move forward."

I really like Z and he has controlled his emotions pretty well this season, but there's absolutely no excuse for him pulling a stunt like this. I assume the Cubs will suspend him without pay if he refuses to pitch and doesn't file the official paperwork to retire.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
cartman-sweet.jpg

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Plunking Chipper Jones just to get ejected is a solid way to make a statement.

If that statement is "I am a self-centered moron with no respect for my team and manager."

What makes it even worse is that he plunked Chipper. I've never been a Braves fan by any means, but Chipper has always been one of my favorite players. Dude has more respect for the game than just about anyone these days.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
For those getting hopeful that Z will indeed retire and the Cubs will save money, I’d guarantee the Players’ Association will push him hard to stay active, and force the Cubs to pay him his $18 million next year – whether he pitches for the Cubs or not.
I dont like it either but thats the way it works.
Hopefully Z is such a nutcase and tells the union to stick it.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I didn't even know chipper was still alive. He's in his mid-60's at least.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
For those getting hopeful that Z will indeed retire and the Cubs will save money, I’d guarantee the Players’ Association will push him hard to stay active, and force the Cubs to pay him his $18 million next year – whether he pitches for the Cubs or not.

If he stays active but refuses to pitch then he will be suspended without pay, and the union won't do anything about it.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I have supported Big Z. Even find him funny, but this is just pathetic. Throws a bad game and then a tantrum. Good luck in retirement.

Speculation is he ends up with the Florida Marlins and Ozzie Guillen. Speculation on Ozzie of course.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm to the point I hope he goes through with it as Cubs fans are tired of his antics and it would be a great way to solve 2 problems by getting rid of a guy that acts like a baby at least once a season with some kind of tirade and also gets his huge salary off the books.

If he comes crawling back I think you suspend him for a few weeks for conduct detrimental to the team until he proves he wants to be a part of the team because like Quade said he just walked out on 24 other guys and to me that's a sign of a terrible teammate. You'll see Z have stretches where he keeps his emotions under control and pitches well then he does something stupid like this and ruins all that in a matter of minutes.