Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
Yuck. Not the best look.

The video itself is just not great. Messy shot, too close to that background. Sanitizer bottle. Mismatched reds on the shirts. Odd cut timing on the cutaways. Just looks like they gave the video intern the gear and told them good luck.

The messaging is fine, but I think seeing a little fire to connect with the fan perspective would have been nice.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
CBS has deal thru 2023...That’s two more years... but as it stands right now SEC teams make $45-$50 mil per team right now anyway..

You don’t think Tx and OU adding to that content increases its value? U bet it does... Not only that but ESPN likely told Tx and OU that they will be assured “x” $$ if they join in 2022 or 2023..
The CBS deal running through 2023 is 3 more seasons, but 2 seasons with OU/UT if they joined in 2022. But then 16 teams are splitting $55 vs.14 teams.

The SEC teams make $45-$50M a year, but in 2019 the Big12 teams rcvd around $39M. It dropped the last couple years because of Covid. I would expect the Big12 payouts to be closer to $39M this year and was projected to be around $45M when the Big12 GOR expired.

I am sure ESPN and OU/UT are counting on the Big12 falling apart so ESPN can use some of the $400M in Big12 rights fees over the next 4 years to support OU/UT's move to the SEC. Thus keeping the current SEC school s whole. But that is why Jamie and Wendy's message was important- if OU/UT leave, then the 8 schools expect the GOR liabilities to hold.

Remember, the core SEC Network was negotiated just a few years ago, so it's not like it's value is as antiquated as the Big12 deal.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Far from terrible and I like the competitive possibilities here, but I'd guess that's still quite a drop in money for ISU and poor future implications.

It may not be that bad of a financial hit. Assuming the new PAC 12 conference would result in a new TV deal and with FOX rumors wanting it I would guess they would pay to have content with a long BOR for stability to rival the SEC Big 10. Stability will secure ISU's future.
I purpose having viewing windows from 11AM, 2PM, 7PM CDT kickoffs and then 6PM & 9PM kicks at night vs the Oregon's/USC's/Stanford's sporadically could actually increase the Brand.

Regardless ISU just needs to survive to the 64 team super conference breaks from the NCAA and being in the best conference at that time for a spot is essential even if it means less money short term.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yuck. Not the best look.

The video itself is just not great. Messy shot, too close to that background. Sanitizer bottle. Mismatched reds on the shirts. Odd cut timing on the cutaways. Just looks like they gave the video intern the gear and told them good luck.

The messaging is fine, but I think seeing a little fire to connect with the fan perspective would have been nice.
I think this is far more important than the fact that there was a hand sanitizer bottle on the table..

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
If the B1G does what Andy Staples suggests, taking the four California schools with Oregon and Washington, then the Big 12-Pac-12 merger would look like:

Big 12/Pac-12 West
Washington State
Oregon State
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
Texas Tech

Big 12/Pac-12 East
TCU
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia

For geographic reasons, I would not be opposed to WVU landing an ACC invitation, adding BYU to the mix here, and pushing Texas Tech to the East.

This is interesting and maybe more likely than the default of trying to come up with new regional variations. You end up with more national conferences, especially four super conferences:

-the SEC, the ACC, both more "regional",

-and then two national: a top-tier Big 10 adding their 'prestigious' west coast 'peer university' teams in they way they used to go play "on tour" as kept up by the Rose Bowl, etc, and a second tier New Big 12/Pac 12/Mountain West combo. Never underestimate the motivating power of "peer"/in-group/flagship/AAU/"Who do we want to be associated with?" for the Big 10 committees.

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
If you're the Big Ten, why wouldn't you wait for the SEC's check to the Big 12 to clear first, and then start making moves?

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I’m sure Pollard is totally just sitting back hoping to get lucky. That’s totally his style.
That was how I handled things in college, usually worked. Of course that was mostly right before the bars closed and it’s possible I didn’t always end up with the best options………Oh lawd, we’re in trouble…….hello Mountain West

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Yuck. Not the best look.

Looked like a damn hostage propaganda video.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If you're the Big Ten, why wouldn't you wait for the SEC's check to the Big 12 to clear first, and then start making moves?
'making' moves and having moves already 'pre-planned' are two distinctly different phases. These steps will include cashing in on the penalty.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Im at work so I cant post a twitter link but ill quote it. Bruce Feldman tweeted "New Pac12 commissioner George Kliakoff has received "significant interest from many schools" regarding potential expansion opportunities"

Are we one of them? I sure hope so, because the pac12 is going to be far more willing to take teams and I dont seem them taking all 8 of us. I also dont see the BIG taking us so we better be making calls.

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
What are u hearing?
I should have said "seeing." I'm not aware that any other school had both the AD and the President together making a statement. To me it shows they are "one" in going public. That's all.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Im at work so I cant post a twitter link but ill quote it. Bruce Feldman tweeted "New Pac12 commissioner George Kliakoff has received "significant interest from many schools" regarding potential expansion opportunities"

Are we one of them? I sure hope so, because the pac12 is going to be far more willing to take teams and I dont seem them taking all 8 of us. I also dont see the BIG taking us so we better be making calls.
Email JP so he knows what to do. Thanks

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018

KJStuckInWash

Jul 27, 2021
I'm sure this will all work out...in the meantime I am just getting ready for the most anticipated football season and that smooth transition into a basketball season with a coaching staff that is actually getting basketball players who want to be at ISU! The rec room is almost ready for Saturday games (new big screen HD projector on backorder), the flag will be raised, and my wonderful wife has one rule: You watch the game while I watch the kids. For me, that sounds like total bliss!

Reactions: NWICY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm sure this will all work out...in the meantime I am just getting ready for the most anticipated football season and that smooth transition into a basketball season with a coaching staff that is actually getting basketball players who want to be at ISU! The rec room is almost ready for Saturday games (new big screen HD projector on backorder), the flag will be raised, and my wonderful wife has one rule: You watch the game while I watch the kids. For me, that sounds like total bliss!

This drama will pass, like it always does. I'm hoping by next week I can start getting back into preseason mode. It was just about to get really exciting for Cyclones fans. Now the stakes are even higher.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's amazing to me that most of the posters on this board think they know more then the people dealing with this stuff on the front lines of the universities. Some of you people need to get a grip on life and not worry about things out of your control.

And apparently we have a bunch of TV production crew members.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
If the B1G does what Andy Staples suggests, taking the four California schools with Oregon and Washington, then the Big 12-Pac-12 merger would look like:

Big 12/Pac-12 West
Washington State
Oregon State
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
Texas Tech

Big 12/Pac-12 East
TCU
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia

For geographic reasons, I would not be opposed to WVU landing an ACC invitation, adding BYU to the mix here, and pushing Texas Tech to the East.

The Campbell Black Unis would win a lot of games in that league. Sign me up.