Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't think winning or losing is all that relevant. I suspect the number of people who will pay to watch our games is about the same.
It does to some extent. Iowa State was and has been popular under CMC and that won’t change as long as he stays. We were one of the most watched bowl games last year and have already been voted on by many outlets this year as one of the most intriguing matchups of the entire regular season when we go to Norman.

You then stack onto that the fact that our fan base is one of the best traveling fan bases out there, so opposing teams in the West and even those in the East would benefit greatly in their college towns.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
One problem I see in this hope that ISU sticks around long enough for the check and then bolts for the Big 10 is....wouldn't we be subject to the same penalty if we leave early? And why would some of these lesser Big 12 schools agree to dissolve the conference when they likely have no home? This is going to get messier than we think unfortunately.

I think it gets easier once the business with OU and UT gets done. At that point, presumably the media contract would get altered significantly, and then it's just a staring contest to see who heads for the exit first. I'm think that all will be well aware of the likely destination of others (and themselves), and the dissolution will just happen (with maybe one or two schools left very unhappy with the result).

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yes, I have negotiated and threatened to sue the govt - The RTC. They were wrong and we both knew it. You need to hit the other with a baseball bat to the temple, especially when they are a bully. It worked. They backed down and there was an amicable solution. The two pussies are hoping the remaining 8 will give in. I hope they don't and play hardball.

Exactly. The guilty party is always looking for an "amicable" solution. Like my example (govt.)....these "pussies" have the ability to wait us out. Right now we are bringing a whiffle ball bat to the temple. Why.....because unless OU/UT surrender to ISU, the Big 12 for all intensive purposes is a lame duck conference. OU/UT know that. And the longer this goes on......the more it hurts us.....not them. They are certain to have a home in 4 years if not sooner that makes bank......are we? I'm certain JP is going to do what is best for ISU and if holding out and playing "hardball" to force them to pay up is the right move........so be it. But make no mistake, OU/UT can afford it. This is on their terms and their turf. We along with the remaining 8 have very little leverage. The only people who can throw water on this and force them to play it out are the SEC and ESPN. But once again I go back to a lame duck conference. Who wants to play in that?

Catclone

Feb 10, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
If we leave prior to 2025 or whatever, it means there was a negotiated buyout and the remaining 8 voted to dismantle the conference. Need 6 of 8 to do so and that means almost everyone would have a comfortable landing spot or plan in place.
I get that, my point was there are likely enough teams left in the Big 12 without a great landing spot, that the dismantling likely doesn't happen in the next handful of years, or at all.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Texas and OU rightly know that playing this out hurts the recruiting for the other 8 schools and they think that the remainders will cave and let them out so that we don't prolong the effects. I don't think there's a big incentive to do that right away. 4 years is college career. It's not until the last two or so that it's going to be a major problem. With kids ability to transfer will it ever really be a problem? I say call their bluff.

• Dumb
Reactions: clonehome and I@ST1

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I take Jaimie to be saying Big 12 has 4 years to use and distribute GOR money, because one way or another, all or most of it will be paid to the Big 12. In the meantime, the other conferences will figure what they want to do and actually can do, giving some clarity to what the Big 12 remaining members might want to do and where they fit in or don't.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa State is ****** if we stay in Big 12 and don’t get an invite to Big 10. Iowa State Athletics will be destroyed. College Sports are dead. Time to find an NFL team to root for.
players/recruits/ staff might leave for greener pastures. And it sounds like Big 10 doesn’t want to expand.
We were foolish not to leave back when CU, MU, and NU left.
Exactly. And instead of blaming Texas and their insistence on the LHN, we blamed NU, CU, and MU. Called them "traitors."
Our attitude, along with the rest of the schools, was "See Texas stayed. We'll hitch our wagon to them and we'll be fine" Ha.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Exactly. And instead of blaming Texas and their insistence on the LHN, we blamed NU, CU, and MU. Called them "traitors."
Our attitude, along with the rest of the schools, was "See Texas stayed. We'll hitch our wagon to them and we'll be fine" Ha.
You can have a problem with Texas and still find plenty of blame with what Nebraska did. But you’re a nebraska shill, so I don’t expect you to be able to see that.

and where should we have gone? I would have loved for Iowa State to have joined the Big 10 in 2010, but it wasn’t happening.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Im glad we stayed in the Big12 and didn’t go to the BigEast.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You can have a problem with Texas and still find plenty of blame with what Nebraska did. But you’re a nebraska shill, so I don’t expect you to be able to see that.

and where should we have gone? I would have loved for Iowa State to have joined the Big 10 in 2010, but it wasn’t happening.
But yet Nebraska was blamed for leaving - because they'd had enough of the Longhorns and their demands. "Boo Huskers - how dare they insult our daddy."

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

Nebraska deserves the most blame of just about any of the old 12 schools. They chose to vote with Texas for unequal media payments but then split when Texas became too powerful and Nebraska became average.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
But yet Nebraska was blamed for leaving - because they'd had enough of the Longhorns and their demands. "Boo Huskers - how dare they insult our daddy."

Teams left when rumors of Texas and Oklahoma flirting with other conferences started. What were you expecting? The Big12 didn’t get solidified with the media contract and GoR until after those teams were already gone. What alternate reality are you remembering?

Reactions: I@ST1

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Hasn't Nebraska recently started having issues with the B1G?

They've got their own issues.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron