***Official Super Bowl Game Thread***

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Another thing that probably won't be talked about enough, particularly with how well Mahomes handled it, were the atrocious snaps by Humphrey. I'm not sure what the issue his but he's had problems with low/bad snaps for several weeks. Obviously there was the one last night that resulted in a busted play but I'd guess 30% of his total snaps were within 2 feet of the ground and several could have easily gotten away from Mahomes. He was absolutely outstanding in corralling those bad snaps and often doing something with them despite the disruption in rhythm and loss of time (to get the ball and reset footwork),

One of the more underrated aspects of the game that won't get it's do.

Reactions: kansascy and Kinch

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Chiefs were badly missing Omenihu. Their front 7 was so much better with him out there.

I doubt there are updated bios on him but I suspected the Chiefs largely kept Uzomah inactive to work on bulking him up for next year. Wouldn't be shocked if they envision him playing a hybrid tackle/end role, possibly signifying their intent on Jones.

Omenihu had a good year, as did Karlaftis. If the latter hadn' t improved as much year over year the Chiefs wouldn't have won the game last night. On the line he was their only consistent playmaker throughout the game.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
In my opinion, this guy won the game for the Chiefs. His blitz packages were dialed in at the exact right time every single time

Obviously Mahomes is Mahomes, but coaching/play calling on both sides is really the biggest advantage KC has on the rest of the league.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Also, taking the ball first in OT was incredibly dumb. I get the idea that you'd be able to score anything and win on the 3rd possession. But you have to get there first. The advantage of knowing what you have to get is monumental. And you saw it with Mahommes knowing he had 4 downs to begin that drive. Also, the disadvantage to the team who goes first of having to punt on 4th down is huge as well. Just a massive blunder by Shanahan.

If you went second and both scored touchdowns, I'd just go for 2 instead of giving it back to Mahommes where he only needs a FG. Never even gets to the 3rd possession.
I think it was fine in order to give the D some rest. But I thought the 49ers should've treated it like they needed to score a TD and plan on going for it on 4th no matter what

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't get all of the line talk. I thought their line did fine when the Chiefs weren't bringing the house/stacking the box, which they did for almost the entire 3rd quarter. I think the far bigger issue where their schemes (on how to handle the pressure) and the play calling. I thought SF should have used CMC more in their passing attack, while utilizing quick outs to neutralize the single coverage and size advantage on teh outside.

Deebo and Kittle needed to do more in the passing attack than they did. Kittle in particular was a near zero which I was surprised by.
I also can't believe how often the 9ers went empty backfield making it easy for the Chiefs to T off on Purdy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I'd also like to point out the hilarity of the NFL having Nickelodeon doing a "kids cast", presumably to expand the reach, but allowing the use of stripper poles during the halftime show.

Maybe they conveniently left that out of the kids production but we all LOL'd at that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think it was fine in order to give the D some rest. But I thought the 49ers should've treated it like they needed to score a TD and plan on going for it on 4th no matter what

I guess I disagree. You give Mahommes 4 downs he's going to move the ball. I also think if the Chiefs go first and score a touchdown, you just plan on going for 2 if you score one as well. Not knowing what you have to do puts you at a monumental disadvantage.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I also can't believe how often the 9ers went empty backfield making it easy for the Chiefs to T off on Purdy

Right. It's not like the Chiefs were really disguising what they were doing a lot of the time, yet SF didn't adjust play-calling or protection schemes to account for it. In fairiness to both the line and Purdy (outside of audibling I guess) there wasn't much they could do.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd also like to point out the hilarity of the NFL having Nickelodeon doing a "kids cast", presumably to expand the reach, but allowing the use of stripper poles during the halftime show.

Maybe they conveniently left that out of the kids production but we all LOL'd at that.
If they had strippers on the pole I could see how that would be an issue, but otherwise it's just a pole.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I guess I disagree. You give Mahommes 4 downs he's going to move the ball. I also think if the Chiefs go first and score a touchdown, you just plan on going for 2 if you score one as well. Not knowing what you have to do puts you at a monumental disadvantage.

I get your point. I have a feeling Shanahan felt his QB might perform better without the added pressure.

I don't think it was the wrong or even a bad call. What ultimately ****** them was play calling and not really having an answer for when the Chiefs brought pressure. It was a problem all game yet Shanahan did nothing.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
That's fair. Let's be honest though. Once the game went to OT it seemed pretty inevitable that the Chiefs were winning. Not taking advantage of the interception and the punt turnover cost the 9ers

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If they had strippers on the pole I could see how that would be an issue, but otherwise it's just a pole.

With scantily clad women on them hanging upside down.

I don't don't have a problem with it personally, but think the dichotomy between the two is hilarious. Do you want it to be a "family friendly" affair, or do you want it to be racy and cutting edge?

Not that it matters as I've guessing there were 5 TVs tuned into Nickelodeon, all tvs that were accidentally left on in child play rooms. What a dumb idea.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
With scantily clad women on them hanging upside down.

I don't don't have a problem with it personally, but think the dichotomy between the two is hilarious. Do you want it to be a "family friendly" affair, or do you want it to be racy and cutting edge?

Not that it matters as I've guessing there were 5 TVs tuned into Nickelodeon, all tvs that were accidentally left on in child play rooms. What a dumb idea.
Those are dancers, grandpa, they'd be there with or without the poles.

Reactions: MJ29

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I get your point. I have a feeling Shanahan felt his QB might perform better without the added pressure.

I don't think it was the wrong or even a bad call. What ultimately ****** them was play calling and not really having an answer for when the Chiefs brought pressure. It was a problem all game yet Shanahan did nothing.
I part of the broadcast I didnt like was they rarely showed more than just the box area for the play. You got to see more when they showed replays but otherwise, it was just the box mostly. I was curious if there were hot routes happening and how KC was defending the receivers but you never saw it outside of when the ball was in the air.

• Agree
Reactions: ZRF

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I part of the broadcast I didnt like was they rarely showed more than just the box area for the play. You got to see more when they showed replays but otherwise, it was just the box mostly. I was curious if there were hot routes happening and how KC was defending the receivers but you never saw it outside of when the ball was in the air.
They should have the All-22 camera broadcast as a streaming option or something, I'd watch that at least sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They should have the All-22 camera broadcast as a streaming option or something, I'd watch that at least sometimes.
There were times they did an overhead one as an option in the past, but I’m guessing they scrapped that for the TS camera this year.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Agreed. That's how Bear's fans know how bad Field's is as you see open receivers, or primary routes being open if he has the confidence in his timing.

It was hard to say for sure, but I thought there should have been more quick hitting stuff....like the slants, crosses, hooks, and outs. If you think about it Shanahan's plays are often slow developing and complex with the motion and misdirection he likes to use. That stuff works great when there is time but when there isn't? It becomes ISU level stuff where the QB needs to throw before the receivers are even close to getting out of their breaks.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Those are dancers, grandpa, they'd be there with or without the poles.

Massive difference in hanging upside down on stripper poles versus having dancers out there, genius.

Personally I don't give a ****. I just find it odd that if the NFL cares enough about trying to ensnare more children viewers with the Nickelodeon broadcast WHY would you allow stripper poles for the halftime show? That doesn't make sense, lol.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't get all of the line talk. I thought their line did fine when the Chiefs weren't bringing the house/stacking the box, which they did for almost the entire 3rd quarter. I think the far bigger issue where their schemes (on how to handle the pressure) and the play calling. I thought SF should have used CMC more in their passing attack, while utilizing quick outs to neutralize the single coverage and size advantage on teh outside.

Deebo and Kittle needed to do more in the passing attack than they did. Kittle in particular was a near zero which I was surprised by.
I think both Debo and Kittle had injuries where if this was a regular season game they would not have returned.

Winning and losing is a small margin. Punt fumble, blocked PAT changed game

Reactions: BCClone and ZRF