How good can this team be?

What is your general feeling about the MBB Program entering the season?

• No Postseason; this young team will struggle to gel with so many new faces

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Postseason, non-NCAA berth; team is full of raw potential, chemistry may develop slow, will compete

Votes: 68 28.7%
  • NCAA Berth; you think this team will surprise some people and finish top half of conference

Votes: 46 19.4%
  • Irrelevant; Season will produce inconsistent results amidst pandemic, season will end prematurely

Votes: 33 13.9%

• Total voters

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
This team looks like last years team. They seem lost on both ends of the floor. On offense they just stand around and watch the guy dribble and put up a bad 3. We got killed in the second chance points category not to mention the horrible TO's. Every time OSU beat them for an easy basket, which was often, the body language was that of defeat. I understand they were extremely short handed but guys should know where they are supposed to be on the court and should be hustling. Pretty frustrated with the past couple seasons.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
On November 24th, I voted that Iowa State could make an NIT, the roster is full of raw potential, and we will compete. I also have been notorious for not wanting to give up on Prohm, while also feeling like he was on the hot seat. Welp, I couldn't have been more wrong in my prediction as well as my optimistic view of our coach.

My judgement was clouded by a roster that Hoiberg left as well as the incredibly talented roster in the 18-19 year. It's clear that any one of us posters on here would've been able to have some sort of success when you have the plethora of NBA talent up and down your bench in those three successful seasons.

Steve is so in over his head it's not even funny. He's had success in getting some really nice players but outside of the high level guys, the talent level absolutely plummets to the ground. His ability to develop players from the time they step on campus to the time they leave is abysmal, as well as the average stay time for any of his recruits. It'd be one thing if most of them were going to the NBA, but 75% of them are leaving for other reasons.

I gave up on this season after the second game and in turn gave up on Steve. His passion clearly lacks and it just feels like he doesn't want to be the head coach here anymore. I know it's a weird season, but this is the third year in which his players that he brought in act like they would like to be doing anything other than playing basketball.

It's time Steve leaves one way or another. Whether that be Jamie firing him, a donor stepping in, or Steve leaving on his own. I'm not sure who the correct fix is to build this thing back up, but at this point things literally cannot be worse than they currently are. If change is made too late in this situation, we could be losing more money in the long run by not getting rid of him.

I miss the feeling our teams used to give us. I miss the relationships all of our players used to have with the community, not just one guy per roster. I miss the energy Hilton Magic had.

It's just a waiting game at this point, but I really hope the plug is pulled sooner rather than later.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
On November 24th, I voted that Iowa State could make an NIT, the roster is full of raw potential, and we will compete. I also have been notorious for not wanting to give up on Prohm, while also feeling like he was on the hot seat. Welp, I couldn't have been more wrong in my prediction as well as my optimistic view of our coach.

My judgement was clouded by a roster that Hoiberg left as well as the incredibly talented roster in the 18-19 year. It's clear that any one of us posters on here would've been able to have some sort of success when you have the plethora of NBA talent up and down your bench in those three successful seasons.

Steve is so in over his head it's not even funny. He's had success in getting some really nice players but outside of the high level guys, the talent level absolutely plummets to the ground. His ability to develop players from the time they step on campus to the time they leave is abysmal, as well as the average stay time for any of his recruits. It'd be one thing if most of them were going to the NBA, but 75% of them are leaving for other reasons.

I gave up on this season after the second game and in turn gave up on Steve. His passion clearly lacks and it just feels like he doesn't want to be the head coach here anymore. I know it's a weird season, but this is the third year in which his players that he brought in act like they would like to be doing anything other than playing basketball.

It's time Steve leaves one way or another. Whether that be Jamie firing him, a donor stepping in, or Steve leaving on his own. I'm not sure who the correct fix is to build this thing back up, but at this point things literally cannot be worse than they currently are. If change is made too late in this situation, we could be losing more money in the long run by not getting rid of him.

I miss the feeling our teams used to give us. I miss the relationships all of our players used to have with the community, not just one guy per roster. I miss the energy Hilton Magic had.

It's just a waiting game at this point, but I really hope the plug is pulled sooner rather than later.
You bring up many good points about development. I give Steve a lot of props for bringing in LW, Hali, THT, Solo, even Cam, and even transfers like Shayok and Bolton, but after that it's pretty slim pickings. That development piece just isn't there. And then guys bail after 1-2 unproductive seasons of not improving. Some even last 3, see Terence Lewis and GC, before realizing loyalty just isn't good enough in this program. Feel bad for the kids that are committing to the program hoping to get developed to the next level. Hope we can hang on to this year's class although nothing will surprise me at this point.

Development is a two way street i suppose. Kids have to be willing to listen and put in the work. Maybe Steve just isn't bringing that type of kid in?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You bring up many good points about development. I give Steve a lot of props for bringing in LW, Hali, THT, Solo, even Cam, and even transfers like Shayok and Bolton, but after that it's pretty slim pickings. That development piece just isn't there. And then guys bail after 1-2 unproductive seasons of not improving. Some even last 3, see Terence Lewis and GC, before realizing loyalty just isn't good enough in this program. Feel bad for the kids that are committing to the program hoping to get developed to the next level. Hope we can hang on to this year's class although nothing will surprise me at this point.
I think every single underclassman on this team could develop nicely with a different coach outside of maybe Blackwell (haven't seen a single good thing out of him yet).

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think every single underclassman on this team could develop nicely with a different coach outside of maybe Blackwell (haven't seen a single good thing out of him yet).
Right, which is unfortunate. He was hyped up pretty big on here after his commitment. Walker seems the one most ready to contribute, Dubar seems to have the highest upside. None of this factoring in the injured Foster. Just my 2 cents.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Right, which is unfortunate. He was hyped up pretty big on here after his commitment. Walker seems the one most ready to contribute, Dubar seems to have the highest upside. None of this factoring in the injured Foster. Just my 2 cents.
That doesn't mean Blackwell couldn't get better but you're right. I know I fall into that trap as well, and I did with Blackwell in that I watch his AAU / HS highlights and fall in love with athleticism, however when your fundamentals lack, you will not make it at this level.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth