Josh Volk interview on picking Iowa

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I want to sell something that is really easy and makes me a lot of money for very little work. A captive audience would be good too...Like "selling" insurance plans to state and local governments. I think I'll go to Yale.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I wonder about the choice to show him "farms" while he was here. Perhaps that was a less than wise decision. Point out the turf in the stadium and talk about the students who intern at the Super Bowl.
When you're trying to woo a student (and his parents) think carefully about the impression you want to leave - I'm not sure showing him farms was a good use of his time here. Regardless, he made his decision. We'll all live with it.

totally my thought too. Sounds like he decided farming itself isn't for him which is fair. And though I'm not sure which farm he went to specifically and how things may have changed since I was there but..........I don't see that being something overly impressive to show a recruit.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
totally my thought too. Sounds like he decided farming itself isn't for him which is fair. And though I'm not sure which farm he went to specifically and how things may have changed since I was there but..........I don't see that being something overly impressive to show a recruit.

I know they were/currently are upgrading some of them, but, unless they showed him the 450(?) farm, I agree, probably not the best use of time for a recruiting visit.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
All back story recruitment stories aside, if ISU is going to make that next step these are the guys Campbell needs to get in Ames. The OL just is not at the same level as the rest of the team. He has gotten a few better guys, but the Hawk still get the pick of the in state linemen.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It really makes no sense. If he want's to be in Ag retail, or Ag at all, going to Iowa is not the better educational decision. It may not be of much significance, but there's no reason Iowa would be a better option. Career recruiters, itself, would be a huge ISU advantage.

That said, I don't care. Seems like a good kid who did the mature thing and called Campbell. Good for him.

If you have a degree you can get a job in Ag Retail. Hell DMACC has a good ag program. There are plenty of open retail jobs that if you can sell and willing to work hard you can get. If he is good at that and puts his time in then he can work up the ladder other jobs.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
All back story recruitment stories aside, if ISU is going to make that next step these are the guys Campbell needs to get in Ames. The OL just is not at the same level as the rest of the team. He has gotten a few better guys, but the Hawk still get the pick of the in state linemen.

I'm ok with the haks dominating a small midwestern state if we can haul in comparable talent abroad. Ramos, Treiber, & Hufford are a good start. This season will be very telling concerning our O line development. No more youth excuse. If we can't win in the trenches vs UNI, time to burn this mother down.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Ok. I happen to know of some with degrees from Iowa, Simpson, etc. But carry on ragging on a kid for his decision to go to a different school for several reasons that he discussed with no malice toward Iowa State or the CALS.
I for one am not ragging, friend. he's free to go wherever he wishes. That doesn't change the fact that what he said seems to be pretextual (or lacking in insight). I hope he benefits from his time in Iowa City.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What offensive lineman wouldn't want to go to Iowa? Their lineman have to average at or near the most NFL $$$ of any program, especially if you count the tight ends.

An unfortunate truth. I love CMC but if I was an OL prospect it would be tough to turn away from that track record. And I hate Iowa. These recruits don't hate Iowa.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you have a degree you can get a job in Ag Retail. Hell DMACC has a good ag program. There are plenty of open retail jobs that if you can sell and willing to work hard you can get. If he is good at that and puts his time in then he can work up the ladder other jobs.

I don't know what that has to do with my post. I didn't say he couldn't.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm ok with the haks dominating a small midwestern state if we can haul in comparable talent abroad. Ramos, Treiber, & Hufford are a good start. This season will be very telling concerning our O line development. No more youth excuse. If we can't win in the trenches vs UNI, time to burn this mother down.

I'd like to agree with you, but keep in mind, even when good Iowa and Wisconsin teams have played UNI, UNI holds their own in the trenches.

• Disagree
Reactions: benjimill

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'd like to agree with you, but keep in mind, even when good Iowa and Wisconsin teams have played UNI, UNI holds their own in the trenches.

Agreed. Have a friend's kid who played for UNI after being AA at a Juco. Lost his starting job to another, so he transferred and started at a D1 in a G5 conference. In the AAF now after getting cut from a training camp. UNI has a good line development.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron