Josh Volk interview on picking Iowa

83cy

May 14, 2006
Doesn't ISU have a business school? Iowa's is probably higher rated but not by much. Best of both worlds ag school with business degree.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Lot of butthurt over a pretty trivial comment.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm ok with the haks dominating a small midwestern state if we can haul in comparable talent abroad. Ramos, Treiber, & Hufford are a good start. This season will be very telling concerning our O line development. No more youth excuse. If we can't win in the trenches vs UNI, time to burn this mother down.

Maybe I am being too critical, but it just feels like the OL has been the weak link in the improvement of the team. Crazy how the team looks loaded on the DL after years being a patchwork mess.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Strange comment, for sure. Sounds like he was intimated by the ISU Ag dept.

No shame in admitting he was in over his head. It'd be intimidating to come into that if you really aren't ready for it.

And no shame for wanting to go to Iowa for OL. That's definitely the deal-maker.

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017
I actually thought he came across well in the article. I agree with him that it was the right thing to do to call CMC personally and took some guts. A lot of kids would either have had a parent do it, or would have not given an opposing coach a heads up at all. Seems like a good kid, good luck to him.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Not a big deal IMO and it seems classy to call Campbell - the fact that he was nervous about that phone call says he's probably a high-character kid.

If I wanted to work for Pioneer or a big ag company I'd go to ISU, but plenty of people work for those companies with degrees from other colleges.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ahh yes, everyone's fallback to the fallback plan... the business degree.

I always thought business would be a fine minor, which is why I have one with my enginnering degree.
I remember one of my floor mates switching from Engineering to Business and he would literally be rolling on the ground laughing at the difference in work load all the while making fun of us doing 30 physics problems for 5 hours. He was also a degenerate partier/drinker. His grades went from D- to B+ in two semesters lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and 247cy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
o_O
I wonder about the choice to show him "farms" while he was here. Perhaps that was a less than wise decision. Point out the turf in the stadium and talk about the students who intern at the Super Bowl.
When you're trying to woo a student (and his parents) think carefully about the impression you want to leave - I'm not sure showing him farms was a good use of his time here. Regardless, he made his decision. We'll all live with it.

It’s like CMC has never hosted a recruit and is tone deaf on how to market the program. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: flycy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He should have just said that he likes how Iowa has developed O-linemen and gotten them into the NFL and left it at that.

Don't be a schmuck and act like Iowa's academics were the place to go for what you're interested in. That's not true, and he knows it.

Wish him luck though. We'll be fine.

Good luck to the kid. Nobody on this board can question his decision since his thought process is unique to him and him alone.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It really makes no sense. If he want's to be in Ag retail, or Ag at all, going to Iowa is not the better educational decision. It may not be of much significance, but there's no reason Iowa would be a better option.

It’s a better option for him because that’s where he wants to go. For most degrees it matters little where it comes from. It only matters what the person chooses to do with it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I mean he's from Cedar Rapids. Of course he thinks Iowa is a better school. It will ALWAYS be a Hawkeye State.

I agree his input on his academic decision seemed contrived. He chose Iowa because he grew up loving that school, and they have a great track record with o-linemen.

I also agree with the earlier poster about not taking him to see a farm when he visited ISU.

Are there any degrees the schools have in common that Iowa is better at.?

• Funny
Reactions: benjimill

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Lots. Just like there are lots of majors they have in common that ISU is better at.

I'm an ISU grad, but isnt Iowa's writers workshop (I assume for English majors? Journalism?) nationally renowned? Think their art program is very good too. They have a biomedical engineering degree that I'm not sure isu has.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Are there any degrees the schools have in common that Iowa is better at.?
The English/Creative Writing school at Iowa is top notch. Biology might be equal, they do make doctors at Iowa. Maybe Business? IDK I hear ISU has grown a lot in that field since I was in school '03-'08. I don't really think that much about U of I tbh.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The English/Creative Writing school at Iowa is top notch. Biology might be equal, they do make doctors at Iowa. Maybe Business? IDK I hear ISU has grown a lot in that field since I was in school '03-'08. I don't really think that much about U of I tbh.

For undergrad:

English, humanities, journalism/media, business, polysci, most of the fine/performing arts advantage Iowa.

Mathematics, STEM, many of the hard sciences, ag sciences, graphic design, interior design advantage ISU.

Lots of programs probably pretty even between the two. My daughter will be starting at ISU this coming fall in elementary ed, and we absolutely loved the faculty advisor we met with on our campus visit. Those programs might be equal but ISU completely won us over.