No Spring Game...

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I really think it is a bad decision. Yeah, weather can be sketchy, but that didn't stop them from having it for years. Construction is a cop out. Just rope off the area and only let fans use the east stands. Or if that's such a problem (or they really are tearing up the turf), have the game in Des Moines or Ames HS.

I feel like the real reason is that Campbell just doesn't want to do the dog and pony show. They definitely do have scrimmages, but he doesn't want the public to see them. Same thing happened with the Gridiron Club...it used to be a scrimmage but this last year it was just a practice with drills. Obviously, the secrecy did not help them play better to start off the season.

Late April is a bad time for me, as I can't ever make the spring game anyway, but I think getting fans involved and excited (plus another tailgate) does have some value. You can bet that if ISU was coming off of two 5-7 seasons rather than 8-4, they'd be having the spring game. Campbell has a ton of leverage now. But, this seems opposite of what Pollard stands for in getting fans invested in the program.

I'm ok with CMC being able to use his 15 practices as he sees what's best for him and the program.

Like another poster said, go to the tailgate tour, spring signing party, etc. To get in touch with what's happening with the program.

20 years ago, all we had was that game to catch glimpses of what was happening. Now, we have Cyclones.tv features, player interviews, coach interviews, etc. We have more access to info than ever.

I get folks like to get outside ....nothing stopping y'all from firing up a grill in April in ISU gear, lol.

Reactions: cyfamily

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I always understood the Spring game was a great recruiting weekend. I know it is for other schools. Guess we don't need it, though. Would sure like to know how our players feel about it?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Relatively speaking no one goes to spring games anyway. If fans wanted it they should have shown up in greater numbers. Will only be missed be a few. Good decision to have another real practice instead.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron