***Official ISU @ UConn Gameday Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I cant wait for tonight big step for the program on espn2 the whole country will get an oppertunity to see a program on the brink of something special. cyclones take this one tonight 24-10

Yeah, this one is huge. A signature CPR moment on national tv would be a great boost for recruiting, and if both ISU and Texas win this weekend it sets the table for one hell of a good conference game in a couple weeks.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
heres an article from someone at the connecticut post predicting the game. they are giving the uconn running game advantage over us b/c we gave up over 200 yds to UNI. last time i checked UNIs QB was far better and more mobile than anything UConn has.

he predicts a 24-21 UConn win

UConn vs. Iowa State: Who has the edge? - Connecticut Post

Someone please tell me the ISU homers game previews are written better than these.

This is the second one that is just plain dumb.
IOWA STATE PASSING GAME VS. UCONN PASS DEFENSE: Jantz, a junior college transfer, has quickly emerged as a major offensive threat. And the Cyclones have a good mix of big and speedy wideouts. The Huskies have been solid in pass coverage for the most part, but still are prone to the occasional big play. Edge: UConn

So, Jantz is good, their defense is "solid", but prone to giving up big plays. And this is an advantage for UConn? Wow. The "coaching" and "intangibles" sections are even worse.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
heres an article from someone at the connecticut post predicting the game. they are giving the uconn running game advantage over us b/c we gave up over 200 yds to UNI. last time i checked UNIs QB was far better and more mobile than anything UConn has.

Yes, with multiple starters out and facing a RB at QB, the Cyclones gave up some yards.
With starters back, against a better O-Line and RB, and a pocket passer similar to theirs, ISU gave up less yards against a run first team.
That might be a better comparison to UCONN.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Someone please tell me the ISU homers game previews are written better than these.

So, Jantz is good, their defense is "solid", but prone to giving up big plays. And this is an advantage for UConn? Wow. The "coaching" and "intangibles" sections are even worse.

Obviously after watching UCONN's first two games this guy drank heavily before writing this up... It was the only way he could actually find the courage or complete ignorance to say that UCONN has any chance to win this game. He also has the built in excuse that he was wasted. Pretty logical approach if you ask me.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Anyone that is basing their analysis on the UNI game needs to look at who played. The Clones were without there best DT and his backup, plus they lost a starter at the DE early in the game. I think the Iowa game is a much better picture of what the clone defense is capable of. Ya, Coker got 140 yards on 35 carries, that isn't really all that great, and Coker is a pretty darn good back. I would be surprised if the Uconn freshman is better than Coker.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Anyone that is basing their analysis on the UNI game needs to look at who played. The Clones were without there best DT and his backup, plus they lost a starter at the DE early in the game. I think the Iowa game is a much better picture of what the clone defense is capable of. Ya, Coker got 140 yards on 35 carries, that isn't really all that great, and Coker is a pretty darn good back. I would be surprised if the Uconn freshman is better than Coker.

In a real rough comparison, UConn is basically Iowa with less talent and stability.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA

Could not agree more. A 1st year coaching staff having just lost a game to Vanderbilt, and they give the coaching advantage to UConn?

Been a Cyclone fan for a pretty lengthy time, and have endured all kinds of streaks, more bad than good. Going into each game this season, I was able to temper my expectations and try to view the team's performance with as much patience as I could muster. Witnessed the UNI game in person, but the video showed way more promise than I thought it would & they still could not beat is with all those turnovers & our execution not being good. Against Iowa, the team plays with more passion, executes better, & then improvises when execution/plans break down (mainly Jantz here), and the team pulls a victory out despite losing the turnover battle.

Don't like to try and make 'accurate' predictions. Football can be so fickle, & comparing what happens to my predictions ends up making me angry more often than not. However, I believe we have a team here capable of going out & really p#$& pounding someone and really opening up eyes around the landscape of college football. No better time than now. Manhandle a team on the road, come back to Ames, ask publicly 'Who's Next?' (Goldberg reference), then prepare for the conference opener & expect similar results. Who is with me?

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Could not agree more. A 1st year coaching staff having just lost a game to Vanderbilt, and they give the coaching advantage to UConn?

Been a Cyclone fan for a pretty lengthy time, and have endured all kinds of streaks, more bad than good. Going into each game this season, I was able to temper my expectations and try to view the team's performance with as much patience as I could muster. Witnessed the UNI game in person, but the video showed way more promise than I thought it would & they still could not beat is with all those turnovers & our execution not being good. Against Iowa, the team plays with more passion, executes better, & then improvises when execution/plans break down (mainly Jantz here), and the team pulls a victory out despite losing the turnover battle.

Don't like to try and make 'accurate' predictions. Football can be so fickle, & comparing what happens to my predictions ends up making me angry more often than not. However, I believe we have a team here capable of going out & really p#$& pounding someone and really opening up eyes around the landscape of college football. No better time than now. Manhandle a team on the road, come back to Ames, ask publicly 'Who's Next?' (Goldberg reference), then prepare for the conference opener & expect similar results. Who is with me?

Count me in!

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
While I do think we are the better team, we just don't know how the team will respond in a hostile environment 1,200 miles from Ames. All of the pressure is on us to win this game and not UConn. There is also a lot of confidence on this board and that has been known to backfire in the past, so naturally (as a Cyclone fan), I'm a little nervous about how this will all play out.

I can see this game being a nail biter, similar to the game @ West Point in 2005. Let's just hope the good guys come out on top.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

Even though I disagree with who the writer has as having the edge the analysis part is fair for the most part. I hope Uconn's coaching staff and players are drinking the kool-aid and are reading these reports.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Im really beginning to not like their fan base. pretty ignorant and arrogant.

hopefully we hit these guys coming off the bus

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

At least this guy gives ISU the advantage in a few areas. Being a bit of a homer, I think he's wrong in a couple others, but it could be a pretty close game if ISU turns the ball over. That said, I'm thinking we are the better team, 24-10.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
While I do think we are the better team, we just don't know how the team will respond in a hostile environment 1,200 miles from Ames. All of the pressure is on us to win this game and not UConn. There is also a lot of confidence on this board and that has been known to backfire in the past, so naturally (as a Cyclone fan), I'm a little nervous about how this will all play out.

I can see this game being a nail biter, similar to the game @ West Point in 2005. Let's just hope the good guys come out on top.

UCONN just got embarrassed losing to a very poor Vandy team. Their QB's have played absolutely awful this year so I am sure that team has a ton of doubt in their minds right now. Their fans are not happy with the product on the field so if ISU can jump on them early and get on the board... it will totally take the crowd out of the game. It will be a classic "Here we go again" response from their crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if their offense struggles early to start hearing some boo birds. Once that happens it is all over for them. The only real advantage UCONN has in this game is the crowd and if they lose that they are dead in the water.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
UCONN just got embarrassed losing to a very poor Vandy team. Their QB's have played absolutely awful this year so I am sure that team has a ton of doubt in their minds right now. Their fans are not happy with the product on the field so if ISU can jump on them early and get on the board... it will totally take the crowd out of the game. It will be a classic "Here we go again" response from their crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if their offense struggles early to start hearing some boo birds. Once that happens it is all over for them. The only real advantage UCONN has in this game is the crowd and if they lose that they are dead in the water.

I agree that's how it "should" go, but in reality, the game still needs to be played and Army was a much worse team than we were in 2005. I sincerely hope we blow them out, but I'm not convinced it will happen.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
UCONN has a pretty solid D-line that plays very aggressive. They are going to try and get up the field quick and I think that will play right into ISU's hands. Anybody else see us hit on some screen passes, a few delayed shovel passes, and some quick slants across the middle last week? Those are the plays that will absolutely kill an over agressive defensive front as they won't be able to get to the QB but will get themselves out of position which leaves our skill positions players with the ball in their hands into the second level already. I look for ISU to hit some big plays due to UCONN being too aggressive. If Jantz can keep some plays alive like he did last week the UCONN secondary is going to have their hands full all game long.

Another thing to keep in mind is the massive size advantage our tackles have over the UCONN defensive ends. If they can control those corners and get Rabbit to the outside lookout....

This is very true but it looks as though they will be without starting DE Jesse Joseph according to Pasqualoni's press conference notes from Wednesday. May help out a little bit in the trenches and takes some pressure off Steele and the O.

Uconn Huskies Football News Blog - Hartford Courant

Presser notes are a few headings down.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This is very true but it looks as though they will be without starting DE Jesse Joseph according to Pasqualoni's press conference notes from Wednesday. May help out a little bit in the trenches and takes some pressure off Steele and the O.

Uconn Huskies Football News Blog - Hartford Courant

Presser notes are a few headings down.

UCONN's D-line is the best unit they will put on the field tonight. If they are down a starter it could have a huge impact. I like it.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
I agree with Arnaud - I think Lenz will find the end zone on a return tonight!

Go CLONES!!!

LOL. I heard a Hok ask his buddy "why in the hell do we keep kicking the ball to Lenz?" another hok told him fan told him 'because its better than Shontrelle taking to the house." Im paraphrasing of course.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
Just think how embarrassed the hawks would be if ISU didn't fumble the ball away to keep them in the game. They were lucky to not be down by 21 in that game. Listened to Dolphin yesterday before CW came on in Eastern Iowa and he was claiming that Iowa only lost because one of their DBs got sick and couldn't play...............:confused:

Those db's probly we're sick, sick of chasing Steele ******* Jantz all over God's creation.:yes:

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Can this day be over soon!!! I have a problem staying on task today and cyclone football is the only solution.

Help Support Us

Become a patron