***Official Super Bowl Game Thread***

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Whatever the case was SF didn't close out. If Mahomes doesn't drive the field there the loss is on him. That's how this works.
Brock played well. I said he was the best QB KC played the entire postseason. He didn't choke. I'm just telling the people whining that he doesn't get respect that those are the opportunities you have to capitalize on to be considered great, elite, or whatever call it. I don't really see that as a knock on Purdy.
His respect will come next contract.

And right now I don't see any difference between Burrow, Lamar, or any other QB given they haven't done anything.

There is Mahomes and the rest

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
If there was one thing obvious tonight (beyond horrible 9er oline),
AWESOME Chief's secondary.
Virtually all 9er's catches were tightly covered.
We've been accustomed to seeing some wide open receivers throughout this season.
I'm not sure Kittle failed. I'd bet that film will reveal that he was blanketed all night. That, or serving as a fulltime blocker, rather than a receiver.
Oline was rated 22. Strikes me as generous. Apologies to Trent, tho he wasn't at his best tonight, penalties aside

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Offensive line for San Fran was awful. Playcalling was an absolute atrocity as well. Throw in a terrible extra point attempt and a defense that was worthless in the second half, San Fran had no chance. Purdy was not great by any means in the SB, but he wasn’t given much to work with thanks to Shanahan and some of the worst playcalling I’ve seen in a game.

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
His respect will come next contract.

And right now I don't see any difference between Burrow, Lamar, or any other QB given they haven't done anything.

There is Mahomes and the rest

IMO it’s like 90s basketball. Mahomes is Jordan and he’s been blocking people from their own rings now.

Reactions: fsanford

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Short night of sleep. That loss still stings just as much when you wake up as it did when you went to bed. Gonna be a long Monday.

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Offensive line for San Fran was awful. Playcalling was an absolute atrocity as well. Throw in a terrible extra point attempt and a defense that was worthless in the second half, San Fran had no chance. Purdy was not great by any means in the SB, but he wasn’t given much to work with thanks to Shanahan and some of the worst playcalling I’ve seen in a game.
Gah, the play calling on the first two possessions in the 2nd half for the 49er's was abysmal, especially after getting the Mahomes int. It thankfully got better after that, but they missed a bunch of opportunities. Can't do that versus the Chiefs...

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Gah, the play calling on the first two possessions in the 2nd half for the 49er's was abysmal, especially after getting the Mahomes int. It thankfully got better after that, but they missed a bunch of opportunities. Can't do that versus the Chiefs...
Too many 3-4 yard passes into coverage, even after those first two drives in the second half. Not sure if that was the playcalling or that Purdy just needed to get rid of it immediately due to a horrible line. Purdy had two home run passes available but he overthrew them both, unfortunately.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I thought Brock squeezed nearly everything out of the opportunities that he had. Nothing at all to hang his head about, he played a great game. Chiefs defense was just outstanding and made it tough on them. Brock still put them back in the lead three times in the 4th quarter and OT. That's all you can ask out of any QB. From there, it's the defense's job to seal the win.

Not sure what the 3rd quarter was about. I think they just overthought their game plan and came out passing hoping to surprise them, when they had been successful running the ball and Brock had been successful with the opportunities that happen when you do that.

I get the thought process on taking the ball in OT. Defense was winded and had just gotten off the field, so I think he was giving them a rest. But they have 6 months to rest now, and you've got to get that 2nd possession so that you know what you have to do. I think everyone in the world expected Mahomes to take the ball down and at least tie it, and probably win it. He did.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If there was one thing obvious tonight (beyond horrible 9er oline),
AWESOME Chief's secondary.
Virtually all 9er's catches were tightly covered.
We've been accustomed to seeing some wide open receivers throughout this season.
I'm not sure Kittle failed. I'd bet that film will reveal that he was blanketed all night. That, or serving as a fulltime blocker, rather than a receiver.
Oline was rated 22. Strikes me as generous. Apologies to Trent, tho he wasn't at his best tonight, penalties aside

Horrible Niner oline?

I dont know which game you were watching but it was probably the best unit they had on the field. Jones was often contained with a lone blocker all night. And when the Chiefs did get pressure? It was mostly when Spags went cover 0 as the Dline wasn't getting it done. SF also had plenty of handoffs/carries where oline created holes for McC pop off some off. They had more trouble in obvious run situations but the Chiefs stacked the box.
As to your point about the Chiefs...they arguably have the best back 7 in football when healthy. Bolton is a stud, Gay is very good, Chennal had a good year. The CB tandem of McDuffie and Sneed is one of the best in the NFL. The safeties aren't quite as good but they are at least average.

In some of their packages, if/when utilizing more DBs, their depth is suspect. I wouldnt be surpiseed if Williams (#2) wasn't the worst player (statically) in the game. When in he was either picked on, missed tackles, or blew assignments.

I thought the 49ers won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The difference for me were the 49er skill players, an area they had a clear advantage talent wise, didn't produce. Samuel and Kittle were non factors (Chiefs D had something to do with that).

Reactions: JohnPrineforCy

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Too many 3-4 yard passes into coverage, even after those first two drives in the second half. Not sure if that was the playcalling or that Purdy just needed to get rid of it immediately due to a horrible line. Purdy had two home run passes available but he overthrew them both, unfortunately.
And he only missed those throws because the line was horrendous. There was someone in his face constantly. Those big throws were timing routes, and everything got thrown off.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So you’re going to hinge your hopes on converting a 2-pt conversion, something that probably has the odds of a coin flip, or give yourself the chance to win the game in sudden death with a FG?
With a guy who has been missing extra points lately and some FGs, yes.

Reactions: Cyhig

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah - but flip it: KC scores a TD; you know you need a TD and get it... but then you put the ball back in Mahomes' hands, where you know he NEVER loses the game.
Not sure if it has been said already, but if you select defense first, give up a TD, then you drive down the field and score a TD, go for two points for the win. Don’t let Mahomes decide the outcome. Also, your kicker already missed an XP. Go for two and let your offense determine the winner right there

I will say the defense was exhausted though, which may be why they wanted to get the ball first

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I thought Brock squeezed nearly everything out of the opportunities that he had. Nothing at all to hang his head about, he played a great game. Chiefs defense was just outstanding and made it tough on them. Brock still put them back in the lead three times in the 4th quarter and OT. That's all you can ask out of any QB. From there, it's the defense's job to seal the win.

Not sure what the 3rd quarter was about. I think they just overthought their game plan and came out passing hoping to surprise them, when they had been successful running the ball and Brock had been successful with the opportunities that happen when you do that.

I get the thought process on taking the ball in OT. Defense was winded and had just gotten off the field, so I think he was giving them a rest. But they have 6 months to rest now, and you've got to get that 2nd possession so that you know what you have to do. I think everyone in the world expected Mahomes to take the ball down and at least tie it, and probably win it. He did.

I think the issued were mostly because of the Chiefs.

Spags went mostly all out in the third quarter, bringing a ton of pressure, and basically said "if you are going to best us it's going to be with quick throws". Having elite coverage units, both in the secondary and with LBs allows then to do that. It's seemed to me Shanahan didn't have a counter or his counters simply weren't working. Unsurpringly, when Spags dialed back that pressure in the 4th, the Niners had more success moving the ball.

While I don't think the Chiefs D line played very well (outside of Karlaftis maybe), but when Spags brought pressure it almost always was effective. If there is anything the Niners need to work on is better synchronization between Purdy, his receivers, the Niner protection schemes, and timing. At times it felt like the Niners didn't pick up the pressure well. In others it felt as if there should have been an audible or a different play called.

If the Niners want to win they need to be able to handle and exploit the pressure. They didn't and the Chiefs largely won because of it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I
Didn’t SF get a holding or motion penalty on second down on the int possession? I’m not positive but was thinking that changed up the situation quite a bit.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The Chiefs secondary was the difference to me. Brock put the ball where his receivers had a chance, but too often the Chiefs' DB made a play to break it up.

I give that unit an A even though they didn't intercept any passes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron