Should the in-state rival forum show on the front page?

• Total voters

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Caring enough to push a post to the 500 mark. It'd be nice to see the day when a NU/ISU thread or KU/ISU thread would do that.
You actually think post behavior is linear when a non-ISU fan posts malice towards ISU on an ISU site? Of the Jon Miller Should Be... thread, around 33% were non-ISU fans, so given aforementioned nature, if you eliminate the obsessive behavior of the Hawk fans, and there would be little discussion. I guarantee, if the number of NU trolls equaled the number of Iowa trolls, you would see such action. Heck, look at what one or two Baylor fans can do.

Feb 11, 2009
iowa
I want to keep it.. then we won't be able to make fun of all the hawks for there crimes on frontpage.
bad idea to take it off.... i think

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's my opinion that we should eliminate the series, focus on the B12 and try to have some seasons like we had in the '70's. Again I get flamed for it. Cyclones78 says I sound like a Hawk fan. Really? Because I want to eliminate Iowa football from our collective Cyclone consciousness? If you think ISU ending the Cy-Hawk game is moronic I think you're focusing on the wrong team and the wrong conference.

ISU ending the Iowa game IS moronic. One game each year gets pretty close to sold out. Iowa in odd years, Nebraska in even years. Please explain to me exactly what opponent will generate more $$$$ (the important thing in athletics) than Iowa. Guess what, if we can't beat Iowa, we can't win in the Big XII. Iowa is a very good program, whether you like to admit it or not. If we can't beat Iowa, we aren't going to win many Big XII teams because they'd be arguably the best team in the North recently. Guess what also, in the 70s, we didn't have to contend with the likes of Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Texas A&M.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
ISU ending the Iowa game IS moronic. One game each year gets pretty close to sold out. Iowa in odd years, Nebraska in even years. Please explain to me exactly what opponent will generate more $$$$ (the important thing in athletics) than Iowa. Guess what, if we can't beat Iowa, we can't win in the Big XII. Iowa is a very good program, whether you like to admit it or not. If we can't beat Iowa, we aren't going to win many Big XII teams because they'd be arguably the best team in the North recently. Guess what also, in the 70s, we didn't have to contend with the likes of Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Texas A&M.
I can see the money issue, but the ability of Iowa to determine the likelihood for success in the Big 12 has no bearing imo. If anything, if losing to team X means you will do poorly the rest of the season, you should not play team X, as you will need all the wins you can get. Not having to compete with UT, A$M, and TT is another reason dropping the annual nature of the game would be good. Besides money, there is not a lot to be gained. How much of a difference is the extra cash against Iowa than a TCU?

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I guess the decision to be made is who brings more hits to the site, ISU fans wanting to read about ISU or Hawk trolls and those that like to feed them (yes, I've fed my share)? It would be nice if we could filter our own front page content but it doesn't sound like that is an option at the moment. The current situation is off-putting enough that I have decreased my visits to the site, I'm guessing others are in the same boat.

As an ISU fan I'd much rather read about ISU related items and not have to redirect to the individual ISU categories because the front page is loaded with Hawk threads.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I can see the money issue, but the ability of Iowa to determine the likelihood for success in the Big 12 has no bearing imo. If anything, if losing to team X means you will do poorly the rest of the season, you should not play team X, as you will need all the wins you can get. Not having to compete with UT, A$M, and TT is another reason dropping the annual nature of the game would be good. Besides money, there is not a lot to be gained. How much of a difference is the extra cash against Iowa than a TCU?

Iowa is a very good opponent. If we can't beat Iowa, we aren't going to touch OU, Texas, Texas Tech, etc. If we can beat Iowa, we should have the horses to hang with and beat Missouri, Kansas, etc. We play 3 cupcake games every year, having a worthy opponent isn't a bad idea by any means, especially when that opponent is in-state and gives your fans a chance to travel to a game on the road every other year.

Are you trying to say beating Iowa (a Big 10 opponent) is the same as beating TCU (Mountain West?)? I'd actually love to see us get to the point we don't have to play any of those teams 1 for 1 and we play all of those games at home or at worst 2 for 1.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Iowa is a very good opponent. If we can't beat Iowa, we aren't going to touch OU, Texas, Texas Tech, etc. If we can beat Iowa, we should have the horses to hang with and beat Missouri, Kansas, etc.
First, my primary concern is not about the difficulty (or lack there of) of the Iowa game. However like you said, we already play OU, TT, UT, etc; no need to consistently have another BCS team on the schedule.
Again, stating that if you cannot beat team x, you will not beat teams y & z, has nothing to do with if you should play team x. If anything, it means that you should not play team x, given you would already have probable losses on the schedule. If you cannot beat UNI, you won't win any Big 12 games, does that mean you should always play UNI?
If you are worried about being a Paper Tiger, I would suggest you ask KU fans how they feel about the Orange Bowl.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So if we schedule a bunch of scrubs, people get ****** we're scheduling scrubs and teams they don't care to watch. If we schedule a few decent teams (we have freaking murderers row in the next couple years) people get ****** because we don't have as good of a shot to win. :confused:

Until we give people a reason to care about Iowa State again, we will play second fiddle to Iowa in football. We end the series, we never get any respect in this state. We start winning the Iowa game and winning Big XII games, we're going to start getting respected. We win the Iowa game and lose the rest, we're on the front page of the paper once all year. We lose the Iowa game and win the Big XII games, we're still second fiddle to Iowa because we lost to 'em.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
So if we schedule a bunch of scrubs, people get ****** we're scheduling scrubs and teams they don't care to watch. If we schedule a few decent teams (we have freaking murderers row in the next couple years) people get ****** because we don't have as good of a shot to win. :confused:
That is quite the generalization and false dichotomy. I will provide my own bifurcation. Which would you rather have: a few lame fans complaining about the schedule as ISU plays in the Orange Bowl or all of Cyclone Nation complaining when ISU is a couple wins short of a bowl game?

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Until we give people a reason to care about Iowa State again, we will play second fiddle to Iowa in football. We end the series, we never get any respect in this state. We start winning the Iowa game and winning Big XII games, we're going to start getting respected. We win the Iowa game and lose the rest, we're on the front page of the paper once all year. We lose the Iowa game and win the Big XII games, we're still second fiddle to Iowa because we lost to 'em.

I'm assuming that your second paragraph is the edit. But I can guarantee that if we swept the Big 12, and lost to Iowa, we would NOT be a second fiddle. Unless Iowa also won the Big Ten, that is.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
It's my opinion that we should eliminate the series, focus on the B12 and try to have some seasons like we had in the '70's. Again I get flamed for it. Cyclones78 says I sound like a Hawk fan. Really? Because I want to eliminate Iowa football from our collective Cyclone consciousness? If you think ISU ending the Cy-Hawk game is moronic I think you're focusing on the wrong team and the wrong conference.

Yes... I think your idea is horrible. While we are at it let's just drop out of the Big XII and join the MAC. Then we can win a few more games a year, maybe a conference title every 2 to 3 years and we can celebrate going to the Motor City Bowl. Oh joy.... I think the Iowa game is a great game to play non conference. Obviously we are in close proximity, it is a game that brings in money, it raises the excitement level for not only the fanbase but the players as well, and it gives us typically national and at minimum regional exposure to potential recruits.

Eliminating the Iowa series would be a disaster. I am glad that you are at least pushing forward the loser mentality that has plagued the ISU fanbase for such a long time. That is exactly the attitude that the fanbase needs. :jimlad:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't think it should be an "opt-in" as it is a big part of the forums, but I would like it off the front page.

And I know this won't be popular, but in general it isn't the Hawk fans starting a lot of these threads. The main Hawk fans on here (I can think of 3) usually are into good-natured ribbing and aren't bad at all. I wish all Hawk fans were that nice.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I'd be a fan of having individually customizable front pages. The default could be only ISU-related topics. Unlike the politics and gaming forums, I don't think I would ever see anything from the in-state rivals forum if it were not on the front page.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yes... I think your idea is horrible. While we are at it let's just drop out of the Big XII and join the MAC. Then we can win a few more games a year, maybe a conference title every 2 to 3 years and we can celebrate going to the Motor City Bowl. Oh joy.... I think the Iowa game is a great game to play non conference. Obviously we are in close proximity, it is a game that brings in money, it raises the excitement level for not only the fanbase but the players as well, and it gives us typically national and at minimum regional exposure to potential recruits.

Eliminating the Iowa series would be a disaster. I am glad that you are at least pushing forward the loser mentality that has plagued the ISU fanbase for such a long time. That is exactly the attitude that the fanbase needs. :jimlad:

Why would this be a disaster? So Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce had a loser mentality?

Your comment about joining the MAC is totally nonsensical. Not playing Iowa and replacing them on the schedule with a different BCS school has no bearing on ISU's performance in the B12.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

I disagree, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person that holds that opinion. With enough sustained success in the Big 12, the Iowa game (win or lose) will more or less relavent every year.

ISU has ended up second fiddle to Iowa in the years they have lost that game because they generally have had bad seasons. The exception was 2004. If ISU lost to Iowa but still went on and *hyperbole alert* ended up winning the division, there isn't a chance in hell they would be second fiddle, no matter what Iowa does.

Fans on both sides like to ***** about the coverage each teams get in the Register, but I think they cover each team fairly evenly.

warsend

Mar 22, 2009
Iowa
how about a Gaming/Music Forum?????

the 2 get talked about a little bit so combine them and it'll work:yes:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Why would this be a disaster? So Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce had a loser mentality?

Your comment about joining the MAC is totally nonsensical. Not playing Iowa and replacing them on the schedule with a different BCS does nothing for us.
Iowa is typically a quality opponent, they are close which keeps the travel expense down for the team and for the fans, and of course it is a game that both fanbases like to see.

How do you think it would go over if Florida and Florida State decided to stop playing each other? How about Clemson and South Carolina? Take a look at Pitt and Penn State... they used to stage a great rivalry and they stopped and the fanbases both want it back now that it is gone.

As you can see it is pretty rare to have instate rivals that are both BCS conference teams but are in different conferences. I think this rare setup makes the Iowa State - Iowa game special in the ranks of rivalries.

Last edited: