Play in game

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't think he underachieved at all to be honest with you. Iowa lacks talent but has plenty of experience, as other younger, talented teams play together more they gain experience and get better while Iowa stayed the same.

Completely disagree. Iowa has plenty of talent. They certainly underachieved. This was the year they were building to, got as high as #10 in the country, crapped the bed, and now are in the play-in game.

Massive underachievement.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
compared to pre-season expectations, iowa didnt underachieve that badly. it was the collapse that apparently has everyone riled up. in reality their ratings just got inflated due to an easier than expected schedule. I was personally thinking they were a bubble team coming in to this year .

Horse-****. How many pre-season polls had Iowa in, or close to the top 25? ESPN sure did. Yahoo Sports. Sporting News. I'm sure we could find more. 9-9, 6th in the conference, and in the play-in game is underachieving, plain and simple. Iowa should have been better than that. Shoot, they were better than that about 2 months ago. Ending up with a chance at an 11 seed is a joke for a team that was ranked in the top 10, especially considering that their schedule got easier toward the end of the year, and they still fell off the map. Complete failure by the coaching staff.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Fran's seat is by no means hot, or even very warm, but this year's collapse is having an impact. He's starting to lose people. It may only be a trickle now, but if Iowa loses on Wednesday, there will be more. And if they take a step back next year? Open the floodgates.

This, he's not going anywhere, but if they're not careful, they'll be back to offering free pizza just to get butts in the seats if Carver again.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Completely disagree. Iowa has plenty of talent. They certainly underachieved. This was the year they were building to, got as high as #10 in the country, crapped the bed, and now are in the play-in game.

Massive underachievement.

Agree to disagree, Marble is talented but the rest of the team is role players. AW has shown flashes but he tends to disappear. If you look at the other teams in the tourney and compare them to Iowa you'd see a talent gap. Woodbury and McCabe don't get minutes on any other power conference tourney team, let alone average over 15 mins/game

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Horse-****. How many pre-season polls had Iowa in, or close to the top 25? ESPN sure did. Yahoo Sports. Sporting News. I'm sure we could find more. 9-9, 6th in the conference, and in the play-in game is underachieving, plain and simple. Iowa should have been better than that. Shoot, they were better than that about 2 months ago. Ending up with a chance at an 11 seed is a joke for a team that was ranked in the top 10, especially considering that their schedule got easier toward the end of the year, and they still fell off the map. Complete failure by the coaching staff.
For discussion sake: why is it Fran's fault the media was incompetent at judging talent?

CloneJob

Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny
I think next season will tell a lot about the HOKS. They lose RDM, but they have a lot of decent players back. No superstars, but good players. I see EIU fans being pretty disappointed next year when they are mid pack again.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
For discussion sake: why is it Fran's fault the media was incompetent at judging talent?

Because we're talking about "expectations". Did you see anyone from the Iowa program arguing with those pre-season rankings? Those rankings were highly touted by their own fans, and the local media as well.

For Dugout to suggest that where they ended up, is meeting the expectations from pre-season is a complete joke.

also, there's this:

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/64473-64-8-doesnt-equal-68-a.html

Last edited:

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
they were generally picked on the fringe of the top 25 and 4th-6th in the big ten. so, their result was a long drop from #10 but not incredible when compared to pre-season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You also conveniently ignored the fact that K-State has waaaaayyyyyy worse bad losses. UNCO (202), Char (150 RPI) WVU (#87) and Georgetown (68)?? Much, much worse than Iowas two bad losses of jNW (123 PRI) and Indiana (#97 RPI) Illinois (63) Minny (47)

Listen, I'm not going to cry about what Iowa got seeded, as they shouldn't have lost 6 of 7. I'm not even saying that K-State shouldn't be higher than Iowa, as my real beef isn't against K-State. I'm just saying their resume wasn't 2 seeds higher than Iowas, and BYU and Dayton certainly weren't better resumes than Iowa. All that said, once again, Iowa is in this spot, cause the sh** the bed, and they put themselves in this spot to get this seed.

This may be confusing for an Iowa fan, but the tournament is not all about who you lost to, but who you beat.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Fran's seat is by no means hot, or even very warm, but this year's collapse is having an impact. He's starting to lose people. It may only be a trickle now, but if Iowa loses on Wednesday, there will be more. And if they take a step back next year? Open the floodgates.

Couldn't agree more. One thing I'm going to be looking forward to is seeing how many players transfer out of Iowa City. Clearly there is a major locker room, coaching or other factor that we don't know about that could signal rough times ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if Mad Fran's antics were wearing thin with the players and I can't imagine the way he treats the players is motivating in any way.

Do I think Fran is on the hot seat - no, but he is clearly getting a shorter leash. I can't imagine the AD is incredibly proud of all the antics that drew unwanted attention in BIG conference play and you add on an epic collapse that wasn't spawned by injuries, arrests, etc and the seat might heat up quicker than normal.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
they were generally picked on the fringe of the top 25 and 4th-6th in the big ten. so, their result was a long drop from #10 but not incredible when compared to pre-season.

That's BS and clearly an attempt to rewrite history... you should be a politician. You also have to realize that expectations are not a static calculation and that where they were possibly picked 10 months ago doesn't matter if they were more recently in the Top 10 and playing well before an epic collapse that wasn't spawned by external factors such as injuries.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
With Fran's recruiting, a one and done in a play in game and no NCAAs next year and there will be rumblings in the Hawk fanbase.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's BS and clearly an attempt to rewrite history... you should be a politician. You also have to realize that expectations are not a static calculation and that where they were possibly picked 10 months ago doesn't matter if they were more recently in the Top 10 and playing well before an epic collapse that wasn't spawned by external factors such as injuries.

Exactly. And it's not like the collapse came against a bunch of highly rated teams. Yes, there was wisky and Sparty in there, but they dropped 4 games to non-tourney teams, Minny, Indiana, Illinois, and Northwestern. Pretty sure that "expectations" should have had them winning those games, or at least half of them.

The last month of the season wasn't the law of averages finally catching up with a 9-9 team, and bringing them back down to "expectations." It was poor coaching and/or playing resulting in a top 10 team falling off the map. It was a total fail.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
its not my fault you dont bother reading before responding. reading is good. learn it.

Says the person that forgot that the English language has capital letters and frowns upon fragmented sentences. Write english at a higher level and we'll bother trying to interpret it. Or, you could just go back to Arkansas and feel smart.