Oklahoma Sooners @ Kansas We Don't Boo

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Nope. Still using MS-DOS here. You may be on record as having no problem with booing. You are also on the record stating that Kansas fans don't boo. Anyway, great game last night. Assuming things go as expected in the Big 12 tourney, the nine games between these 3 teams should be a real treat. A lot would have to fall correctly but it could even be 12 games this year. These 3 teams are pretty special.
Then you simply have your record wrong. Some ISU fan(s) has apparently been told by some KU fan(s) that we do not boo which is stupid. there is no arena in sports that doesn't. It has now morphed into this dead horse that ISU fans beat into the ground in every KU game. No biggie; it's just tired and played out. I personally love to boo bad calls. I pay good money to get in the door and consider it part of the fan experience to give the refs the business if I disagree with their opinion. But hey, remember it how you want...

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Does anyone else think the sideline at Allen Fieldhouse is ridiculously skinny? Heild was standing as far back as he could to throw the ball in and the defender was basically touching him. There is about two feet at most between the sideline and the table.
Yes, that side of the floor has barely any room. Cameron Indoor is like that for Duke as well.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does anyone else think the sideline at Allen Fieldhouse is ridiculously skinny? Heild was standing as far back as he could to throw the ball in and the defender was basically touching him. There is about two feet at most between the sideline and the table.

Yes. I noticed the narrow sideline. And Mason crowding him. Mason even admitted it during the press conference after the game. He said that he knows he is supposed to stand back, but he crowded him anyway because he knew the ref "couldn't do anything." After that statement, Scott Van Pelt came on and said that the ref could have called a violation.

So, not only did KU benefit from a bad non-call by the refs, but the player involved even admitted that he took advantage of the ref in that situation.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yes. I noticed the narrow sideline. And Mason crowding him. Mason even admitted it during the press conference after the game. He said that he knows he is supposed to stand back, but he crowded him anyway because he knew the ref "couldn't do anything." After that statement, Scott Van Pelt came on and said that the ref could have called a violation.

So, not only did KU benefit from a bad non-call by the refs, but the player involved even admitted that he took advantage of the ref in that situation.

Cheaters cheat, nothing new.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I started watching halfway though second half. Spangler wasn't even setting good screens, made sticking to heild a little easier, IMO.

Spangler was not his usual scrappy self from middle of the 2nd on. He played decent in the first, getting rebs and layups, then hit at least one 3 in the beginning of the second, but after that he didn't do much.

He may be the most effected by extended minutes. His style of play is better suited for someone that can play really hard for 5-7 minutes, break for a few, then do it again.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Spangler was not his usual scrappy self from middle of the 2nd on. He played decent in the first, getting rebs and layups, then hit at least one 3 in the beginning of the second, but after that he didn't do much.

He may be the most effected by extended minutes. His style of play is better suited for someone that can play really hard for 5-7 minutes, break for a few, then do it again.

He rebounded well on the defensive end, but it really looked like he wanted nothing to do with the ball on the offensive end. He was either exhausted or hurting.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Yes. I noticed the narrow sideline. And Mason crowding him. Mason even admitted it during the press conference after the game. He said that he knows he is supposed to stand back, but he crowded him anyway because he knew the ref "couldn't do anything." After that statement, Scott Van Pelt came on and said that the ref could have called a violation. So, not only did KU benefit from a bad non-call by the refs, but the player involved even admitted that he took advantage of the ref in that situation.
A "bad non-call by the refs"? The epitome of a reach. You know when you're siding with Jeff Goodman's shtick on a play that you're probably diving into the shallow end head first.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

From Big 12 Refs:

Big 12 Refs@Big12Refs 11h11 hours ago
Oh, you're saying a chiseled specimen like Ryan Spangler has tired with extended physical exercise?
13 retweets30 likes

Retweet

More

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
He rebounded well on the defensive end, but it really looked like he wanted nothing to do with the ball on the offensive end. He was either exhausted or hurting.
He banged knees with Matt Thomas on Saturday and had two sleeves on his knee. Once fatigue set in he couldn't offer anything at all on offense except for some rebounding. he knocked in two threes and a lay up in the first 3:15 of the second half then he had nothing but one dunk the rest of the game.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I thought I remembered him driving in the game and when he went to jump his leg seemed like it gave out a bit. After that, I did not see him attempt anything offensively. It was strange that he didn't even set picks all that much and had latin do it instead.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
A "bad non-call by the refs"? The epitome of a reach. You know when you're siding with Jeff Goodman's shtick on a play that you're probably diving into the shallow end head first.

Denial is a powerful drug when you live as a massive T-Shirt homer

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I thought it was a bad non-call by the ref. I don't need Jeff Goodman and Doug Gottlieb to convince me one way or the other as I can form my own opinion. I didn't even care who won so it's not like I have a biased view of it but thought the ref should have stepped in

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Are you JOKING? Mason gets a clean strip at the end of 1st half and gets called for the foul then Self gets T in 2 drops of the "are you f-ing kidding me" line?!?

Like I said, any dope that claims KU gets all the calls didn't watch this game tonight.

I'm trying to understand your point here. Ohhhh, I forgot, with the AFH factor in play the official is supposed to wait until Self has his fist entirely up his @$$ before giving him a technical!

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I'm not sold on OU. Not much of an inside game, and they seem too dependent on the 3. (Sounds familiar I know).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought it was a bad non-call by the ref. I don't need Jeff Goodman and Doug Gottlieb to convince me one way or the other as I can form my own opinion. I didn't even care who won so it's not like I have a biased view of it but thought the ref should have stepped in

Frank Mason admitted to the violation and daring the ref to call it! See the new thread with the link to his interview.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Should have stepped in? A player is allowed to stand right up to the line, which Mason did not cross until AFTER the ball was put into play. He jumped in the air, tipped the ball and when he came down, his toes landed over the line. At what point exactly would the ref "step in"? McKay stands right up to the line on virtually every important defensive inbounds play and his long arms are almost always as close as Mason was to Hield. ISU fans would IRATE if a ref called him for it.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Should have stepped in? A player is allowed to stand right up to the line, which Mason did not cross until AFTER the ball was put into play. He jumped in the air, tipped the ball and when he came down, his toes landed over the line. At what point exactly would the ref "step in"? McKay stands right up to the line on virtually every important defensive inbounds play and his long arms are almost always as close as Mason was to Hield. ISU fans would IRATE if a ref called him for it.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

I thought you supposedly watch a lot of basketball. If the official believes the sideline is not wide enough they have every right to back the defender off and tell them to not get closer.