RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly to visit on May 3

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I hate to say it but there is a reason/s why a guy is at UTSA and not in a power 5 conference so expectations are low. He is pretty good sized so maybe can help on the boards?
The bigger red flag is the lack of interest now imo. The are few better alternatives though. It isn't as much that he won't help. Last spring we needed a single and he would have been more than sufficient in that. The needs for next year are more like a triple or homerun, which he is not imo.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I hate to say it but there is a reason/s why a guy is at UTSA and not in a power 5 conference so expectations are low. He is pretty good sized so maybe can help on the boards?

It's not like he has played only basketball in college. Let's not forget he played football as well. He likely has a higher ceiling than someone who played only basketball. Playing football probably also helps with being physical on the paint. Time will tell how he actually performs, but he may end up contributing as much as Juiton could have in different ways.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good point Holden was predicted to be the starting Center for ISU and provide a rebounding defensive presence when he signed.
People expected much from a guy that wasn't that good in CUSA? And I don't think it's a good thing that we'll be expecting less from Beverly, given our needs are much more. (I actually expect more from Beverly than I did at this time last year for Holden). If our answer to all we lost is adding guys with less than Holden level expectations than we're in trouble. Hopefully we land Brown.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
People expected much from a guy that wasn't that good in CUSA? And I don't think it's a good thing that we'll be expecting less from Beverly, given our needs are much more. (I actually expect more from Beverly than I did at this time last year for Holden). If our answer to all we lost is adding guys with less than Holden level expectations than we're in trouble. Hopefully we land Brown.

Depends what your expectations for next year are...We wont be very good, if we get Brown I think we could maybe be NIT, I dont think anybody is debating Beverly is what he is, a backup plan...Just hope for the best and maybe he will surprise

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
He jumped out at me right away too! I was convinced he was going to be a stud. Everything happens for a reason I guess.

Interesting that his 3pt% rate said 0. When we recruited him, wasn't he known for being a guy who could really step out and hit the three, a stretch 4 if you will? Maybe he wasn't good enough to get playing time enough to show that at St. John's , idk. Lots of shoulder issues.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Depends what your expectations for next year are...We wont be very good, if we get Brown I think we could maybe be NIT, I dont think anybody is debating Beverly is what he is, a backup plan...Just hope for the best and maybe he will surprise

You need to get a grip.

Brown is a very good player and if we get him, we are a legit tourney caliber team, IMO.

Beverly might be just as good or better than Juiston.

We have no clue how good Wigginton/McNeill/Lewis will be.

Babb, Jackson and Young could really improve from their first P5 season to year 2.

You also never know if Lard, Long or Kasongo will surprise to the upside.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
The bigger red flag is the lack of interest now imo. The are few better alternatives though. It isn't as much that he won't help. Last spring we needed a single and he would have been more than sufficient in that. The needs for next year are more like a triple or homerun, which he is not imo.

So you are saying he's double? I'll take a double all day long.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

True but there are no guarantees that Juiston would be a HR or triple in 2017-2018 either. At the end of the day he was still a JUCO player and the Big XII is a sizeable step up from that.

Would I have liked to find out? Absolutely but he was far from a sure thing.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I would assume thats why his rebounding stats ended up going way down
I'm sure those two had an impact, as did the increase in competition- his style of play changed. His FT rate went down and his 3P attempt rate increased (more than doubled to above 50%).

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
True but there are no guarantees that Juiston would be a HR or triple in 2017-2018 either. At the end of the day he was still a JUCO player and the Big XII is a sizeable step up from that.

Would I have liked to find out? Absolutely but he was far from a sure thing.
It's true, it's nearly time for the "nothing is a sure thing card".

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
It's true, it's nearly time for the "nothing is a sure thing card".

Its always time for the nothing is a sure thing card when it comes to recruiting. Recruiting lists are littered with guys who didn't live up to the expectations.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Its always time for the nothing is a sure thing card when it comes to recruiting. Recruiting lists are littered with guys who didn't live up to the expectations.
Do you treat the llotto as an investment strategy working? Not a sure thing you'll lose.

You must be pretty worried about next year making it 7 in a row, given we're only returning 3 guys with experience. There's a pretty strong correlation between the having "sure things" and success.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Do you treat the llotto as an investment strategy working? Not a sure thing you'll lose.

You must be pretty worried about next year making it 7 in a row, given we're only returning 3 guys with experience. There's a pretty strong correlation between the having "sure things" and success.
???

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

I don't worry about it because I have zero control over it. And Juiston last I checked... has zero experience at the D1 level.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't worry about it because I have zero control over it. And Juiston last I checked... has zero experience at the D1 level.
How cute.

Yes, no one is worried in that sense. But doubt in making it 7 in a row? Yes. Of course you don't have control over that, so despite your post count you're probably completely apathetic about any upcoming seasons and games.

Right, that no sure thing angle. I hope your lottery investing works for you.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Beverly has had some other school after him, it's not just ISU. He visited New Mexico, which is traditionally a basketball school with The Pit. Nevada and Miami both contacted him too and they were both tournament teams. So that's ISU, Miami, New Mexico, and Nevada. That's a good group of schools.

Beverly want to be Burton essentially.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron