***2023 GB Packers Thread***

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Story to set the stage for today's game:

Going into the 1989 Season, the Bears had won five straight NFC Central titles and the Packers had finished 4-12 the previous year. I lived in a western suburb of Chicago named Elmhurst. On November 5, 1989, the Packers beat the Bears 14-13 on a last second TD pass in the famous Majkowski Instant Replay Game, which resulted in an NFL rule change! A month later, my girlfriend (now wife of many years), purchased tickets for my birthday to Packers at Bears (Soldier Field) on 12/17/89. The Packers prevailed 40-28 on that glorious frigid day. Afterwards, we met a work friend and his wife at a bar named Sean Alcock's (Van Buren & Wells).

My buddy Pete (Bear Season Ticket Holder) was furious, and declared, "you may have swept the season series, but you will not even the all-time series in our lifetimes!" At the time Pete said this, the Packers were 57-76-6 against the Bears, who promptly won the next five games from 1990-1992. However, the Packers had acquired Brett Favre from the Falcons following the 1991 Season and the bottom fell out for the Bears with a Packer W on 11/22/92. Including that game, the Packers have gone 49-14 versus the Bears (since that time), now leading the all-time series 106-95-6.

Anyway, I love the Packer / Bear Rivalry - these two teams are intertwined and "need" each other. George Halas got the Packers into the fledgling NFL and made speeches in Green Bay when the Packers were in financial dire straights and needed to sell stock to stay afloat. The Packers loaned money to Halas in the 1950's when he couldn't make payroll.

This afternoon is the way it should be, Packers versus Bears in a meaningful game. I can't think of a game I've wanted to win more, to card a winning record and a playoff berth in Jordan Love's rookie season, thereby stuffing it in the face of Aaron Rodgers. In appeasing Rodgers those last few years, Packers management screwed Jordan Love, with massive cap debt resulting in the youngest roster in the NFL. But we've got this - Go Pack Go!

Sorry for the manifesto, but I'm all fired up and can't wait for 325pm CST....

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Cyched

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I had so little confidence in GB winning this game that I hedged my Bears under 7.5 wins bet to where I'll break even regardless who wins.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Going into the 1989 Season, the Bears had won five straight NFC Central titles and the Packers had finished 4-12 the previous year. I lived in a western suburb of Chicago named Elmhurst. On November 5, 1989, the Packers beat the Bears 14-13 on a last second TD pass in the famous Majkowski Instant Replay Game, which resulted in an NFL rule change! A month later, my girlfriend (now wife of many years), purchased tickets for my birthday to Packers at Bears (Soldier Field) on 12/17/89. The Packers prevailed 40-28 on that glorious frigid day. Afterwards, we met a work friend and his wife at a bar named Sean Alcock's (Van Buren & Wells).

My buddy Pete (Bear Season Ticket Holder) was furious, and declared, "you may have swept the season series, but you will not even the all-time series in our lifetimes!" At the time Pete said this, the Packers were 57-76-6 against the Bears, who promptly won the next five games from 1990-1992. However, the Packers had acquired Brett Favre from the Falcons following the 1991 Season and the bottom fell out for the Bears with a Packer W on 11/22/92. Including that game, the Packers have gone 49-14 versus the Bears (since that time), now leading the all-time series 106-95-6.

Anyway, I love the Packer / Bear Rivalry - these two teams are intertwined and "need" each other. George Halas got the Packers into the fledgling NFL and made speeches in Green Bay when the Packers were in financial dire straights and needed to sell stock to stay afloat. The Packers loaned money to Halas in the 1950's when he couldn't make payroll.

This afternoon is the way it should be, Packers versus Bears in a meaningful game. I can't think of a game I've wanted to win more, to card a winning record and a playoff berth in Jordan Love's rookie season, thereby stuffing it in the face of Aaron Rodgers. In appeasing Rodgers those last few years, Packers management screwed Jordan Love, with massive cap debt resulting in the youngest roster in the NFL. But we've got this - Go Pack Go!

Just to add, actually many teams make their big runs when they are young and don’t have expensive QBs and others. GBs last Super Bowl wins were when the QBs were young and didn’t suck the cash from the rest of the team. Loves salary cranks up next year and kinda keeps them from bringing in veterans.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Loves salary cranks up next year and kinda keeps them from bringing in veterans.
Not really - Jordan Love signed a one-year incentives-based contract extension in May 2023 which has the potential to raise his base salary to $14.5M for 2024 (from $5.5M base in 2023). That's a bargain for a starting QB in today's NFL and gives the Packers all kinds of flexibility in free agency, if they elect to go that direction.

Over in the Vikings season thread, they're debating whether or not they need to pay 37 year-old Kirk Cousins $30M plus. I'll wager they wish they had our situation, especially with how well Love has played this season!

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I had so little confidence in GB winning this game that I hedged my Bears under 7.5 wins bet to where I'll break even regardless who wins.
I'm admittedly not chock-full of confidence going into this one, though my heart is telling me Jordan Love will play well today. My concern is obviously Joe Barry and that defense, which is entirely unpredictable despite having first round draft picks everywhere! I say they remember last year's loss to the Lions and come to play today.

Despite the fact you've always struck me as reasonable, you're a hawk fan who spends significant time on a Cyclone message board, so I'll revel in your wagering loss this afternoon! :)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not really - Jordan Love signed a one-year incentives-based contract extension in May 2023 which has the potential to raise his base salary to $14.5M for 2024 (from $5.5M base in 2023). That's a bargain for a starting QB in today's NFL and gives the Packers all kinds of flexibility in free agency, if they elect to go that direction.

Over in the Vikings season thread, they're debating whether or not they need to pay 37 year-old Kirk Cousins $30M plus. I'll wager they wish they had our situation, especially with how well Love has played this season!
The potential is 22MM not 14.5MM.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm admittedly not chock-full of confidence going into this one, though my heart is telling me Jordan Love will play well today. My concern is obviously Joe Barry and that defense, which is entirely unpredictable despite having first round draft picks everywhere! I say they remember last year's loss to the Lions and come to play today.

Despite the fact you've always struck me as reasonable, you're a hawk fan who spends significant time on a Cyclone message board, so I'll revel in your wagering loss this afternoon! :)

Lol well actually I can't lose and can't win. I had $100 where I won 200 with a Packers win (bears would end with fewer than 8 wins). This week I bet $100 to win $200 on the Bears to win. So I've bet $200 total and will win $200 no matter who wins.

My wife is a Packers fan, so we'll be rooting for them anyway.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
For those looking to watch the game since it isn’t on in Iowa, it is on paramount+. You can get a free trial

Zenthar

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 4, 2010
For those looking to watch the game since it isn’t on in Iowa, it is on paramount+. You can get a free trial
No it won’t be. Paramount plus will play what KCCI does. It’s based off of location of your local cbs

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

I watched that game in dancer hall at my brothers dorm room

Reactions: ICCYFAN

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Whew - I can breathe again! Nice game by Joe Barry and the Packer defense, along with the unflappable Jordan Love. Go Pack!!!

Reactions: Drew0311

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Lol well actually I can't lose and can't win. I had $100 where I won 200 with a Packers win (bears would end with fewer than 8 wins). This week I bet $100 to win $200 on the Bears to win. So I've bet $200 total and will win $200 no matter who wins.

My wife is a Packers fan, so we'll be rooting for them anyway.
Happy wife, happy life. I understood your wager and was opining you should have “stayed the course” and won your Bears under 8 wins bet.

Help Support Us

Become a patron