***Big 12 Championships (Sat./Sun.)***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This.

As David has shown, you try to push the pace with him and you’re screwed.
That's why the officiating in the sport needs an overhaul.

Guys that want action, push pace and have incredible conditioning are punished because every rule favors the guys that don't want to do anything. If you want to grow the sport, make it exciting.

Would you rather watch a guy like Carr or Keck or Lee or would you rather watch the dreck that was the 197 final last night?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
As for the FRL crew, I generally don’t mind them.

They generally talk positive about ISU but they spend 75% of their time talking Big Ten.

-Askren gives half hearted answers about anyone that isn’t Mizzou (plus, he doesn’t like Penn St). He’s going to be mega short and butthurt on wednesdays show when they talk about Carr/KOT.

-Pyles loves Penn St. and I’d actually say he doesn’t like Mizzou, or at least gives Ben grief for it.

-JD loves ISU but the poster above is right, he almost tries to hard to act like he doesn’t. I do like JD though.

I actually like it most when they have Sparks on. Yes he’s a Big Ten guy but he gives non-Big Ten guys a ton of credit and knows his stuff.

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
The type of guy that will beat David is a loser like Peyton Hall who does absolutely nothing in the match hoping to steal it at the end.
Look no further than nationals last year. That ref should never be allowed to officiate peewee wrestling. Criminal what he allowed willitz to do

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
That's why the officiating in the sport needs an overhaul.

Guys that want action, push pace and have incredible conditioning are punished because every rule favors the guys that don't want to do anything. If you want to grow the sport, make it exciting.

Would you rather watch a guy like Carr or Keck or Lee or would you rather watch the dreck that was the 197 final last night?
Its the one piece from freestyle I think folk could steal. Guys get put on the clock pretty quick in international matches to keep the match going, or else they all look like Max Dean stall fests.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It’s the one piece from freestyle I think folk could steal. Guys get put on the clock pretty quick in international matches to keep the match going, or else they all look like Max Dean stall fests.
Elam/Sloan was one of the worst matches I’ve watched in a long time. It’s unfortunate that our rule set allows that. I agree. Put someone on the clock and make them wrestle.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Yeah that was probably the worst match I've ever seen
Sloan just kept waiting for his turn on top and the way the match played out he never got it. I would love shot clock and push out rule in folkstyle. Both can help create more offensive wrestling situations. People want action.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This.

As David has shown, you try to push the pace with him and you’re screwed.
Unfortunately, I think KOT is starting to figure that out too. No real committed attempts yet was not hit with stalling while David was twice, is criminal. There's no way KOT can beat David if they are both going full bore, but if he slows it down via Hall/Wiltz, he does have the talent to win a close one.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Its the one piece from freestyle I think folk could steal. Guys get put on the clock pretty quick in international matches to keep the match going, or else they all look like Max Dean stall fests.
Freestyle guys play the game also. They generally PREFER to go on the clock in the first because the ref will generally turn it around in the second and the last guy gets criteria.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
Unfortunately, I think KOT is starting to figure that out too. No real committed attempts yet was not hit with stalling while David was twice, is criminal. There's no way KOT can beat David if they are both going full bore, but if he slows it down via Hall/Wiltz, he does have the talent to win a close one.
Agree with everything, but thats even a tall task for KOT now. He slowed this one down and David, when he wanted, was always able to get to his single leg at will. David also doesnt allow KOT to scramble and funk it up the way he can with everyone else. If I am O'toole I am completely defeated right now because what he is best at just doesnt work against Carr.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I agree, but I think it’s really uncomfortable for KOT to wrestle that way.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthJerseyCy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The "What if true placing matches still existed?" portion of the show:

157: (6) Hill vs (7) Jacques
165: (8) Cook vs (9) Sheets
174: (6) Wolf [who was defaulting/MFF out] vs (7) Joll
197: (6) Bastida vs (7) Cooley

125: (6) Owens vs (7) Mauger -- no match; Owens beat Mauger in conso
133: (6) Brown vs (7) Phippen -- no match; Brown beat Phippen in quarters
184: (4) Hawks vs (5) Parker -- no match; Hawks beat Parker in quarters
285: (8) Wolfgram vs (9) Trussell -- no match; Wolfgram beat Trussell in first round

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron