Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Am I the only one who sees the antiquity of the GOR with the reconstituted B12? Paradoxically, I see the media giants seeking the longer GOR while the leagues want to be more mobile during this 'media' transition. So much is going to happen there, it's hard to predict. As such, the conferences should keep their options as mobile and 'marketable' as can be.

Having the rights to every weeks "top matchup" should be on a short contract unless traditional outlets WAY overpay for it. The future is streaming. The longer we can hold out for those players getting into the market... The better.

People need to remember that Apple, Google/YouTube, Amazon, Roku and others have MANY TIMES MORE CASH on hand, aren't held back by dividends and shareholders expectations for returning capital. They just want to see growth in media/advertising.. There isn't a single content outlet better than live sports for advertisers.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and Cloneon

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
If financial survival and access to a playoff were not at stake I'd like CSU as well. But since those things are on the line and are dependent on not only on-field success in football, but also media interest, I do not want CSU or AFA at all. I have been at games at AFA and CSU in the end of the DeBerry and Lubick eras. There is zero interest locally (and clearly nationally) in those teams. As I shared before when I went to a CSU game they were #16 in the country, and they had an announced crowd of 28k, and it wasn't that. It was the worst CFB atmosphere I've been at, and I attended ISU in the early McCarney days before they were competitive. While I loved going to a game at AFA, and it was very cool to me, it was absolutely not a big time atmosphere at all. Attendance probably in the low 20s

While I like the idea that a CSU in the Big 12 could really boost the interest, I just don't think it would ever materialize. They had nationally ranked and relevant teams in the early 2000s, had a big, growing population in the area, and it was such a non-factor it is very hard to describe to people that live in a state like Iowa that has no pro sports. Not to mention their last game of 2019 vs. ranked Boise State had an attendance of 12k!

In my opinion BYU and Cincy are clearly at the top, UCF is a pretty clear third, then after that I really don't like anyone. I don't like Houston. I think at best it's a TCU type situation where getting in the conference boosts their program on the field, but them being good doesn't generate much interest or legitimacy in the conference as a whole.

This is a good post. I have read similar things on other sites. Perhaps wishful thinking that CSU and others would grow within a bigger conference. I date back to the old Big 8. The current Big 12 ever since the last round of defections and the add of WVU has felt very ‘forced’ and not like a real conference with common purpose and identity. I think UCF and Houston to a lesser extent will only make that worse. PAC, B1G, and SEC all have that. Was thinking maybe we could get it by orienting more to the West.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is a good post. I have read similar things on other sites. Perhaps wishful thinking that CSU and others would grow within a bigger conference. I date back to the old Big 8. The current Big 12 ever since the last round of defections and the add of WVU has felt very ‘forced’ and not like a real conference with common purpose and identity. I think UCF and Houston to a lesser extent will only make that worse. PAC, B1G, and SEC all have that. Was thinking maybe we could get it by orienting more to the West.
I hear ya, and all other things being equal would love a tighter footprint for the sake of rivalries. Unfortunately, that seems to make conferences less relevant nationally, and ultimately less viable. The SWC is a good example of that. I do like WVU as a member of the Big 12 - good sports, a pretty good brand and some of the more passionate fans in the league. But yes, geographically an outlier.

But ultimately, adding Cincy, BYU and UCF make the most sense from a football standpoint, both on the field and in terms of media, so that's what the Big 12 has to do. It makes the league better than the PAC, and one that should retain a "power" status and have reasonable access to a playoff, especially expanded.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I remember talk early in the Big 12 history was a block of 4 Texas schools could either block or force through anything the Texas legislature wanted. Then after A&M left, the whorns could pressure the legislature to force the other 3 schools to vote with Texas. I don't remember anything specifically, just that there was talk about this being a huge concern. With the whorns out of the picture, I'm sure it's less of a problem, but not completely gone.

I'm not sure the Big 12 wants 4 Texas schools again.
The Big 12 needs people to watch games in order to make money. Texas has 29 million people, and they seem to like college football (unlike certain other areas of the country). The Houston metro area has over 7 million people. Adding a team in there seems like a decent idea.

Reactions: KnappShack

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Big 12 needs people to watch games in order to make money. Texas has 29 million people, and they seem to like college football (unlike certain other areas of the country). The Houston metro area has over 7 million people. Adding a team in there seems like a decent idea.

Maybe UH doesn't appeal as an add to some fans or perhaps the Texas schools, or both, but I've just figured all along if there's going to be XII expansion Houston will be among the primary invites.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Does this work better than all the other attempts at throwing 4 spots at the state? Or more in the SWC case?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If financial survival and access to a playoff were not at stake I'd like CSU as well. But since those things are on the line and are dependent on not only on-field success in football, but also media interest, I do not want CSU or AFA at all. I have been at games at AFA and CSU in the end of the DeBerry and Lubick eras. There is zero interest locally (and clearly nationally) in those teams. As I shared before when I went to a CSU game they were #16 in the country, and they had an announced crowd of 28k, and it wasn't that. It was the worst CFB atmosphere I've been at, and I attended ISU in the early McCarney days before they were competitive. While I loved going to a game at AFA, and it was very cool to me, it was absolutely not a big time atmosphere at all. Attendance probably in the low 20s

While I like the idea that a CSU in the Big 12 could really boost the interest, I just don't think it would ever materialize. They had nationally ranked and relevant teams in the early 2000s, had a big, growing population in the area, and it was such a non-factor it is very hard to describe to people that live in a state like Iowa that has no pro sports. Not to mention their last game of 2019 vs. ranked Boise State had an attendance of 12k!

In my opinion BYU and Cincy are clearly at the top, UCF is a pretty clear third, then after that I really don't like anyone. I don't like Houston. I think at best it's a TCU type situation where getting in the conference boosts their program on the field, but them being good doesn't generate much interest or legitimacy in the conference as a whole.

I am warming to UCF even though they seem so far removed from the Big12 footprint. But so is WVU. So adding Cincy & UCF adds a couple teams that WVU can build regional rivalries with.

BYU is obvious add, but to entice them to join, does the Big12 need to also add a western rival? BYU as an independent can already put together a pretty solid schedule against P5 teams. As much as Cincy & UCF make sense for today. I would love for schools like UNLV, SDSU and even CSU be considered for what they could develop into after 10 years in the Big12.

It makes no sense in 2021 from a current TV media structure and school prominence, but if money were no issue I could really like the below 16 team conference. It includes teams from 13 states and every time zone. It would be solid for football, but could be really tough in men's basketball.

Division A
ISU
Kansas
Kansas State
Cincinnati
WVU
UCF
Memphis
Okie State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech